Posted to alt.home.repair

Default rotary phone dial out

I have 2 rotary phones that have dial tone and receives calls. Unfortunately, I cannot dial out on either phone. The first phone was purchased appx 1 month ago from a local 2nd hand store. The phone company has serviced the lines and added jacks as requested appx 2 weeks back. The tech had stated that there was a problem with the first phone. The second phone was received on 9.29 and I still have the same issue. Is there a simple fix?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I would suggest joining the forums he

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php

There's plenty of folks there that can help you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 17:49:55 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

Some tone phones won't dial out if the
polarity is reversed. Might want to try
swap red and green wires in the socket,
and see if that helps.

....and who knows who worked on the phone lines and changed "stuff"
over the years

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default converting an old rotary phone to work now

On Sunday, August 10, 2008 11:45:10 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I just got an old rotary phone from an antique store - the original
cord is attached - I want to hook it up and use it in my home - what
do I do??

Probably just replace the cord with one with a RJ-45 jack on it. e.g.

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/cloth-c...us-colors.html

if you don't care about keeping it original looking any spade to RJ-45 cord should work.

Most phone exchanges still will work with rotary AKA pulse dialing. So will Verizon's FiOS boxes - I'm using a late 40's vintage Western Electric wall phone in my kitchen, we have FiOS. The only thing to watch is the REN (Ringer Equivalence Number) and the limits your phone company imposes (each device connected in your house will have a REN and when you sum them up there is a maximum number for your phone number) - any old phone with a mechanical ringer probably has a REN of one.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/2014 6:43 PM, N8N wrote:
On Sunday, August 10, 2008 11:45:10 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I just got an old rotary phone from an antique store - the original
cord is attached - I want to hook it up and use it in my home - what
do I do??

Probably just replace the cord with one with a RJ-45 jack on it. e.g.

You didn't reply soon enough. The guy posted
in 2008, and died shortly after in 2009, when
he had a heart attack and could not dial for
help.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 29, 2014 6:48:52 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 9/29/2014 6:43 PM, N8N wrote:

On Sunday, August 10, 2008 11:45:10 AM UTC-4, wrote:

I just got an old rotary phone from an antique store - the original

cord is attached - I want to hook it up and use it in my home - what

do I do??

Probably just replace the cord with one with a RJ-45 jack on it. e.g.

You didn't reply soon enough. The guy posted

in 2008, and died shortly after in 2009, when

he had a heart attack and could not dial for

help.

Odd, this thread was at the top of the feed on Gurgle Gropes when I logged in to check Usenet.

Yeah, I know, get a real newsreader, but I'm not always on my own PC.

nate
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just got an old rotary phone from an antique store - the original

cord is attached - I want to hook it up and use it in my home -
what

do I do??

Probably just replace the cord with one with a RJ-45 jack on it.
e.g.

You didn't reply soon enough. The guy posted

in 2008, and died shortly after in 2009, when

he had a heart attack and could not dial for

help.

Odd, this thread was at the top of the feed on Gurgle Gropes when I
logged in to check Usenet.

Yeah, I know, get a real newsreader, but I'm not always on my own PC.

nate

So load a newsreader on a thumb drive and run it from there .

--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky posted for all of us...

I may not have read all messages.

I have an old dial phone and I'm using semaphores for communication, but
I can't get the phone to actuate the semaphores. What should I do?

Call a railman, they know semaphores.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 10, 2008 at 8:45:10 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I just got an old rotary phone from an antique store - the original
cord is attached - I want to hook it up and use it in my home - what
do I do??

I have a Philips Electrical Works....thinking 1940's. Whant to do this too is it the same as all other posts?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 4:32:02 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, August 10, 2008 at 8:45:10 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I just got an old rotary phone from an antique store - the original
cord is attached - I want to hook it up and use it in my home - what
do I do??

I have a Philips Electrical Works....thinking 1940's. Whant to do this too is it the same as all other posts?

I did the battery thing it worked out green to green and red to red. The phone didnt ring but i was able to hear the person but could not speak to them
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 4:49:24 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 4:32:02 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, August 10, 2008 at 8:45:10 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I just got an old rotary phone from an antique store - the original
cord is attached - I want to hook it up and use it in my home - what
do I do??

I have a Philips Electrical Works....thinking 1940's. Whant to do this too is it the same as all other posts?

I did the battery thing it worked out green to green and red to red. The phone didnt ring but i was able to hear the person but could not speak to them

found no speaker for the mouth so thats resolved

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 4:49:24 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 4:32:02 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, August 10, 2008 at 8:45:10 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I just got an old rotary phone from an antique store - the original
cord is attached - I want to hook it up and use it in my home - what
do I do??

I have a Philips Electrical Works....thinking 1940's. Whant to do this too is it the same as all other posts?

I did the battery thing it worked out green to green and red to red. The phone didnt ring but i heard the person talking. The speak is missing too so if anyone could help with that too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Sunday, August 10, 2008 at 8:45:10 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I just got an old rotary phone from an antique store - the original
cord is attached - I want to hook it up and use it in my home - what
do I do??

I have a Philips Electrical Works....thinking 1940's. Whant to do this
too is it the same as all other posts?

Need adaptor I think available.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 11:58:11 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 5:38:20 AM UTC-7, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 10:29:14 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 4:50:19 PM UTC-7, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 7/12/19 7:31 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, August 10, 2008 at 8:45:10 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I just got an old rotary phone from an antique store - the original
cord is attached - I want to hook it up and use it in my home - what
do I do??

I have a Philips Electrical Works....thinking 1940's. Whant to do this too is it the same as all other posts?

If it's got a red wire and a green wire, hook those up to the matching
wires in your house phone line.

--
Ever notice the shortage of "armed law-abiding citizen€ť victim tragedy
stories in the news?

i get a beep beep then dead air, i dail and then the same happens. Do i need a POTS?

It's quite amazing that in all this you have yet to tell us what phone service
you have that you're trying to connect this rotary phone to.

Telus, im in canada.

So Telus looks to be an internet, cable, etc company, not a traditional phone
company that offers pots. You need a converter to go from rotary pulses to
DTMF tones, like this:

http://www.oldphoneshop.com/products...providers.html

That should work for basic dialing or "push 2 for English". Beyond
that you will likely have problems, eg good luck getting it to work
with any system you interact with where you need to enter a hashtag,
etc. But if you're just using it for a nostalgia phone, converter should
be fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 10, 2008 at 8:45:10 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I just got an old rotary phone from an antique store - the original
cord is attached - I want to hook it up and use it in my home - what
do I do??

got it working but think one of the capacitor for the ringer is not working
Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:
On Mon, 15 Jul 2019 16:48:37 -0700 (PDT),

wrote:

On Sunday, August 10, 2008 at 8:45:10 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I just got an old rotary phone from an antique store - the original
cord is attached - I want to hook it up and use it in my home - what
do I do??

got it working but think one of the capacitor for the ringer is not working

Do you have the green and yellow shorted together? You need that to
get it to ring right. (party line thing)

If it is a WE 500 series deskset, then there is a terminal block
under the cover that has a setting for party-line vs. normal. If it
is configured properly, then only the tip and ring (green and red)
conductors are required.

Likewise for the 300 series. I've both active on a standard POTS line.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_500_telephone
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_302_telephone

Other than a defective ringer (extremely rare) there are common reasons old
Western Electric phones don't ring. The two most common reasons are
1.) A previous owner disconnected one or all of the wires from the ringer
going to the network inside the phone to prevent the phone company
from "seeing" his/her phone on the phone company's line test equipment or
2.) The phone was wired for "party-line" service which will prevent the bell
from ringing on today's "individual line" systems. Let's cover reason
#2 first. If your phone was originally wired for "party line" service
many decades ago you will need to do some simple modifications of the
wiring inside of the phone to make it ring. Referring to the schematic
you just printed from the link above, you will see vertical shaded bars
dividing the schematic into sections representing, among other things,
the ringer, the network, the handset, the dial and the line-switch
(a.k.a. the hook-switch.) Note in particular the wiring for the ringer
leads, line cord, and line switch. In the schematic you will see color
designations of R, BK, S, S-R, G, and Y. These refer to wire colors of Red,
Black, Slate (gray), Slate with Red stripe, Green and Yellow, respectively.

https://www.beatriceco.com/bti/porti...hones-500.html

#2 first. If your phone was originally wired for "party line" service
many decades ago you will need to do some simple modifications of the
wiring inside of the phone to make it ring. Referring to the schematic
you just printed from the link above, you will see vertical shaded bars
dividing the schematic into sections representing, among other things,
the ringer, the network, the handset, the dial and the line-switch
(a.k.a. the hook-switch.) Note in particular the wiring for the ringer
leads, line cord, and line switch. In the schematic you will see color
designations of R, BK, S, S-R, G, and Y. These refer to wire colors of Red,
Black, Slate (gray), Slate with Red stripe, Green and Yellow, respectively.

https://www.beatriceco.com/bti/porti...hones-500.html

I have a Philips Electrical Works...It looks different inside, from the western. I have it hooked up, green and yellow together on the green. The red is with red. Do i have to have the adapter, to get it to ring? Right now it wont ring. I understand you need the adapter to dial out.
doesnt.

#2 first. If your phone was originally wired for "party line" service
[...]

Before I went any farther I would find someone with a POTS line and
try it there. If that works your VoIP adapter is the problem. If
everything else works you might have to live with an electronic
ringer.

#2 first. If your phone was originally wired for "party line" service
[...]

i got the Telephone Module Pulse Transfer Dual Tone Multiple Frequency DTMF Converter. The phone dials out but it wont rind when someone calls me, whats wrong and what do i have to do?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 10, 2008 at 8:45:10 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I just got an old rotary phone from an antique store - the original
cord is attached - I want to hook it up and use it in my home - what
do I do??

i have hooked up the Telephone Module Pulse Transfer Dual Tone Multiple Frequency DTMF Converter and it now dials out but i still cant receive calls it wont ring, what do i have to do?

#2 first. If your phone was originally wired for "party line" service
[...]

IDK? Link to the module?

#2 first. If your phone was originally wired for "party line" service
[...]

Sounds more like someone disconnected the ringer, a pretty common
thing to do with an "illegal phone" (before you could buy a phone or
hook one up if you did come up with one). The Telco could tell how
many ringers you had but not how many phones. The wires may just be
cut. There will be 4 going to the coils on an old Western phone,
probably the same on a Stromberg.
Posted to alt.home.repair

jaret smith writes:
On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 10:44:47 PM UTC-7, wrote:

=20
Before I went any farther I would find someone with a POTS line and
try it there. If that works your VoIP adapter is the problem. If
everything else works you might have to live with an electronic
ringer.

i got the Telephone Module Pulse Transfer Dual Tone Multiple Frequency DTMF=
Converter. The phone dials out but it wont rind when someone calls me, wh=
ats wrong and what do i have to do?

If it is a western electric model 500 deskset, the ringer may be disconnected
or connected in party-line mode. Look around on the internet for WE500
wiring diagram.

It may also be that the voip adapter doesn't provide sufficient current to
drive the ringer.

Old, wall rotary phone Irene Home Repair 34 January 27th 08 02:41 AM
ITT rotary phone FCC Reg # AS203P-70086-TE-R davidg Electronics Repair 0 July 31st 07 09:57 PM
Help With Rotary Phone Wiring [email protected] Electronics Repair 5 May 12th 07 09:12 PM
Old Rotary phone - GPO 746 [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 May 12th 07 04:41 AM
Rotary Phone Doesn't Ring [email protected] Electronics Repair 13 December 30th 05 02:16 AM