Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old, wall rotary phone

There's an old, wall-mounted rotary phone in the kitchen and it's mounted
on a rectangular board affixed to the wall. I'm sure the phone's been there
since the house was built in 1972. I'd like to take it out and replace it
with a wall-mounted push button phone.
Will the rotary phone wiring work for a modern push button phone or is new
wiring in order? Also, what kind of phone wiring connector(s) is/are
required or needed in order for me to install a wall-mounted push button
phone in the kitchen?

[To contact me, drop one ' i '.]

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

Irene wrote:

There's an old, wall-mounted rotary phone in the kitchen and it's mounted
on a rectangular board affixed to the wall. I'm sure the phone's been there
since the house was built in 1972. I'd like to take it out and replace it
with a wall-mounted push button phone.
Will the rotary phone wiring work for a modern push button phone or is new
wiring in order? Also, what kind of phone wiring connector(s) is/are
required or needed in order for me to install a wall-mounted push button
phone in the kitchen?

[To contact me, drop one ' i '.]

Thanks

Hi,
Of course it will work. I think you'll need a little phone junction box
to accomodate RJ-45 plug. ie. you have to adopt pair of wires to modular
RJ-45 plug. If I were you I'd install DECT 6.0 cordless phone base and
scatter the sub sets around the house for convenience.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Irene" wrote in message
Will the rotary phone wiring work for a modern push button phone or is new
wiring in order? Also, what kind of phone wiring connector(s) is/are
required or needed in order for me to install a wall-mounted push button
phone in the kitchen?

The wires are the same, but the plug, if any, may differ. There are four
wires. Connect the wires to the RJ-45 wall mount jack that is available at
any hardware, home store, etc., then attach the phone to the mount.

That old rotary phone is coming back in style. There is a demand as people
are restoring older homes and want the old phones in the colors to match the
70's decor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"Irene" wrote in message

Will the rotary phone wiring work for a modern push button phone or is new
wiring in order? Also, what kind of phone wiring connector(s) is/are
required or needed in order for me to install a wall-mounted push button
phone in the kitchen?

The wires are the same, but the plug, if any, may differ. There are four
wires. Connect the wires to the RJ-45 wall mount jack that is available at
any hardware, home store, etc., then attach the phone to the mount.

That old rotary phone is coming back in style. There is a demand as people
are restoring older homes and want the old phones in the colors to match the
70's decor.

Hi,
Rotrary phones can't do tele-banking for an instance, LOL!

Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

DA had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ne-280957-.htm
:

Irene wrote:

There's an old, wall-mounted rotary phone in the kitchen and it's
mounted
on a rectangular board affixed to the wall. I'm sure the phone's been
there
since the house was built in 1972. I'd like to take it out and replace
it
with a wall-mounted push button phone.
Will the rotary phone wiring work for a modern push button phone or is
new
wiring in order? Also, what kind of phone wiring connector(s) is/are
required or needed in order for me to install a wall-mounted push
button
phone in the kitchen?

Old wiring will work just fine. You will need a wall-mount jack which can
be picked up in a hardware store. It usually has screw terminals inside so
all you need is a screw driver to install it. Well, I'm skipping the part
where you remove insulation from the wires. I've seen it done in many
different ways using wire stripper, snips, knife, teeth, nails etc. Wire
stripper being the neatest and the safest.

Good luck!

\//.
-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

Irene wrote:
There's an old, wall-mounted rotary phone in the kitchen and it's mounted
on a rectangular board affixed to the wall. I'm sure the phone's been there
since the house was built in 1972. I'd like to take it out and replace it
with a wall-mounted push button phone.
Will the rotary phone wiring work for a modern push button phone or is new
wiring in order? Also, what kind of phone wiring connector(s) is/are
required or needed in order for me to install a wall-mounted push button
phone in the kitchen?

Go buy yourself a new phone. Take it home and get it
out of the box. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. Then take the
old phone off the wall, and READ THE INSTRUCTIONS again.
Then follow the instructions! (Alternately, chuck the
instructions, look at what you've got and go buy what
you need.)

Or, also buy yourself a cell phone with a camera it, and
when you get stuck simply take pictures of what you
have. Post them somewhere convenient for others to
access, and then post the URL here (or better yet, post
to alt.dcom.telecom.tech).

Otherwise, *you* are the only one who can actually look
at what you have, and everyone telling what to do is
*guessing*.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Irene wrote:
There's an old, wall-mounted rotary phone in the kitchen and it's mounted
on a rectangular board affixed to the wall. I'm sure the phone's been there
since the house was built in 1972. I'd like to take it out and replace it
with a wall-mounted push button phone.
Will the rotary phone wiring work for a modern push button phone or is new
wiring in order? Also, what kind of phone wiring connector(s) is/are
required or needed in order for me to install a wall-mounted push button
phone in the kitchen?

Also to consider: Is this an old telephone company rental?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message

Hi,
Rotrary phones can't do tele-banking for an instance, LOL!

Sure they can, with a $5 tone generator made for that purpose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 09:02:11 -0500, Frank wrote:

Irene wrote:
There's an old, wall-mounted rotary phone in the kitchen and it's mounted
on a rectangular board affixed to the wall. I'm sure the phone's been there
since the house was built in 1972. I'd like to take it out and replace it
with a wall-mounted push button phone.
Will the rotary phone wiring work for a modern push button phone or is new
wiring in order? Also, what kind of phone wiring connector(s) is/are
required or needed in order for me to install a wall-mounted push button
phone in the kitchen?

Also to consider: Is this an old telephone company rental?

Frank, what does it mean if the old phone had been rented from the phone
company? How would a formerly rented phone affect a conversion to a push
button phone using the same wiring?

[To contact me, drop one ' i '.]

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Irene" wrote in message
Will the rotary phone wiring work for a modern push button phone or is new
wiring in order? Also, what kind of phone wiring connector(s) is/are
required or needed in order for me to install a wall-mounted push button
phone in the kitchen?

The wires are the same, but the plug, if any, may differ. There are four
wires. Connect the wires to the RJ-45 wall mount jack that is available at
any hardware, home store, etc., then attach the phone to the mount.

RJ45 is 8 wire for network. IIRC a phone connector is RJ11 or RJ14. (The
phone only uses 2 wires of 4 or more in the building phone wiring cable.)

New wall phones often attach to a plate that includes a phone connector
in the middle. You push the phone toward the wall and slide it down
slightly. Find out what the new wall phone requires. Like Floyd wrote -
read the instructions. When buying, info on the package might help.

--
bud--

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 04:20:45 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Irene" wrote in message
Will the rotary phone wiring work for a modern push button phone or is new
wiring in order? Also, what kind of phone wiring connector(s) is/are
required or needed in order for me to install a wall-mounted push button
phone in the kitchen?

The wires are the same, but the plug, if any, may differ. There are four
wires. Connect the wires to the RJ-45 wall mount jack that is available at
any hardware, home store, etc., then attach the phone to the mount.

That old rotary phone is coming back in style. There is a demand as people
are restoring older homes and want the old phones in the colors to match the
70's decor.

You should see the outrageous prices they charge for those old rotaty
phones on Ebay and other online auctions. Not that I'd want one....
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Irene" wrote in message
Will the rotary phone wiring work for a modern push button phone or
is new wiring in order? Also, what kind of phone wiring
connector(s) is/are required or needed in order for me to install a
wall-mounted push button phone in the kitchen?

The wires are the same, but the plug, if any, may differ. There are
four wires. Connect the wires to the RJ-45 wall mount jack that is
available at any hardware, home store, etc., then attach the phone
to the mount.

When old rotary phones were in use, there were no jacks & plugs; they
wired directly into the boxes on the wall.

RJ-11, a 6 pin plug & jack, with 6 pins, only 2 or 4 of them used, is
correct for ALL analog telephones, rotary or DTMF. Either one, you
connect them red wire to red wire and yellow wire to yellow wire. An
RJ-45 is a 8 pin connector and NOT used with residential phone systems
on dialtone ckts; it's non standard.

Some telcos will still work with a rotary phone, but NOT ALL. Before
you spend money on a rotary phone that outputs rotary pulses, be certain
it'll work with your telco or you'll have wasted your money.
The better "rotary" phones you find today will have a converter in
them to count the pulses and convert them to DTMF digits for the telco.
No old, original rotary phone is going to do that, so your telco must
accept rotary pulses in order for them to work. Rotary signalling is a
thing of the past.

Please be careful of misinformation when you aren't sure what you're
talking about.

That old rotary phone is coming back in style. There is a demand as
people are restoring older homes and want the old phones in the
colors to match the 70's decor.

You should see the outrageous prices they charge for those old rotaty
phones on Ebay and other online auctions. Not that I'd want one....

That's because they're not really the old rotary phones but newer
electronic ones that only seem to be rotary.

Personally I like the old rotaries myself. I even had an old rotary pay
phone hooked up in the kitchen; great conversation piece.

HTH

Twayne

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Twayne" wrote in message
That's because they're not really the old rotary phones but newer
electronic ones that only seem to be rotary.

NO, it is because people are buying the ORIGINAL old phones. I said what I
meant and I meant what I said.

You can see them here
http://www.ablecomm.com/

Down towards the bottom.

Or go directly here
http://www.frillfreephones.com/
we have New Old Stock touchtone and rotary dial phones made years ago by
ATT, Stromberg Carlson, ITT and Northern Telecom. They're great if you're
nostalgic for the mid-20th-century, or just like the look, feel and sounds
of a rotary dial.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Jan 12, 7:14*pm, "Twayne" wrote:

When old rotary phones were in use, there were no jacks & plugs; they
wired directly into the boxes on the wall.

Wrong. Some were direct wired and some were modular, plugging into
RJ-11 jacks. I have a pair of rotary dial princess phones from the
70's that are still in use.

Please be careful of misinformation when you aren't sure what you're
talking about.

Applies to you also.

Red

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red wrote:
On Jan 12, 7:14 pm, "Twayne" wrote:

When old rotary phones were in use, there were no jacks & plugs; they
wired directly into the boxes on the wall.

Wrong. Some were direct wired and some were modular, plugging into
RJ-11 jacks. I have a pair of rotary dial princess phones from the
70's that are still in use.

Please be careful of misinformation when you aren't sure what you're
talking about.

Applies to you also.

Hints for OP- If handset cord is modular, the wall mount is probably
modular. Also look for another layer of metal between the phone and the
wall, usually silver in color. If you see that, give the phone a sharp
upward rap on the bottom, and see if it pops up and off the wall. In the
transition era to the smaller 2550 TT wall phones, they even had
matching trim plates to cover up the mounting plate of the big old
rotary wall phones and/or the mismatched paint spot. If there is no
modular mounting plate, you will need to 'skin' the phone to get it off
the wall. Look for a notch at the bottom, where you can stick in a
flat-blade screwdriver to release the latch thingy. Once cover pops off,
the mounting screws and feedwire screws should be self-evident.

(I used to do some moonlight telephone work in that era, and still have
a couple crates of old WE phones in basement that I need to sort through
and do the mix-and-match on one of these days.)

aem, not a fan of modern throwaway phones, sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Irene wrote:
There's an old, wall-mounted rotary phone in the kitchen and it's mounted
on a rectangular board affixed to the wall. I'm sure the phone's been there
since the house was built in 1972. I'd like to take it out and replace it
with a wall-mounted push button phone.
Will the rotary phone wiring work for a modern push button phone or is new
wiring in order? Also, what kind of phone wiring connector(s) is/are
required or needed in order for me to install a wall-mounted push button
phone in the kitchen?

Also to consider: Is this an old telephone company rental?

Frank, what does it mean if the old phone had been rented from the phone
company? How would a formerly rented phone affect a conversion to a push
button phone using the same wiring?

[To contact me, drop one ' i '.]

Thanks

Just thinking offhand that old rotary phone could still be rented from
the telephone company. Your bill would show this if it were so.
It's been a long time since phone company customers could use their own
phone and I believe options were to give the phone back to the company,
buy it or continue rental.
I had heard of someone continuing rental.

Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

bud-- wrote:
wrote:

RJ-11, a 6 pin plug & jack, with 6 pins, only 2 or 4 of them used,
is correct for ALL analog telephones, rotary or DTMF. Either one, you
connect them red wire to red wire and yellow wire to yellow wire.

Red an green were the wires for the phone. Black and yellow could be
used for a 2nd line or power for a light in some phones.

That old rotary phone is coming back in style. There is a demand as
people are restoring older homes and want the old phones in the
colors to match the 70's decor.

You should see the outrageous prices they charge for those old rotaty
phones on Ebay and other online auctions. Not that I'd want one....

What great news. I can clean out part of the basement and get rich.

Chuckle. Take 'collectible' values with a grain of salt. In the case of
ebay and old phones (which I happen to have a bunch of), I did some
looking in the completed sales, not just the current asking prices.
Oddball and novelty phones did okay, but conventional ones, not so much.
WE/Ma Bell sold/abandoned in place a hell of a lot of rotary (and early
TT) desk and wall phones- millions are still out there and in use, with
people who don't move every seven years. And old real phones are
heavy. You will have to charge so much for shipping, that people will
think you are ripping them off.

I may bother to clean up and sell a few of the odd ones in my accidental
collection some day. But the value isn't high enough, so far, to make it
worth a lot of effort on my part. As long as I have extra storage space,
they aren't costing me anything sitting there.

As to not wanting one- of the 5 phones currently hooked up in this
house, 4 are old WE phones. (I have a disposable phone in guest room,
just for the memory function on it, handy for 20-digit international
dial-around services.) And yes, the one in master bedroom is rotary. I
may make an outgoing call from that room once a year, and it still works
fine and looks pretty. How many modern disposables will be able to say
that after the 25+ years I've had that one?

aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Larry Caldwell" wrote in message

I'm sure the phone's been there
since the house was built in 1972. I'd like to take it out and replace it
with a wall-mounted push button phone.

That phone was an antique in 1972. It's probably about 70 years old.
Remove it carefully and sell it on eBay.

???

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 23:49:27 +0000, aemeijers wrote:

Note to OP- if you can post some digital pics somewhere, and put a link
back here, we can tell you exactly what you have and how it is mounted.
Closeup front and side views, please.

OK- I'll take some pix. What's a good website where I can sign up to
post pictures so you readers can view them?

[To contact me, drop one ' i '.]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 14, 8:38*am, Irene wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 23:49:27 +0000, aemeijers wrote:

Note to OP- if you can post some digital pics somewhere, and put a link
back here, we can tell you exactly what you have and how it is mounted.
Closeup front and side views, please.

OK- I'll take some pix. What's a good website where I can sign up to
post pictures so you readers can view them?

[To contact me, drop one ' i '.]

Obvious that some are confusing the old crank type phone with rotary
dial phone.

Anyway, lots of rotary phones available on ebay and a few crank types
too.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Irene wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 23:49:27 +0000, aemeijers wrote:

Note to OP- if you can post some digital pics somewhere, and put a link
back here, we can tell you exactly what you have and how it is mounted.
Closeup front and side views, please.

OK- I'll take some pix. ...

Unless it isn't just a wall-mounted, plastic-cased, rotary _dial_ phone,
it's not worth fooling with the pictures over.

It's what was in kitchen and basement here in '78 installation although
they did use the AT&T mounting plate although it was mounted on a
plywood backing in the basement. The folks were still paying the rental
fee on those same old, worn-out phones (never even turned them in for
new ones that actually would still dial) when we moved back in '99...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:

I had heard of someone continuing rental.

For several years following the 1984 breakup of The Bell System, I
occasionally encountered a residential customer that continued to rent their
phone(s).

Then, some years ago, AT&T stopped billing for the relatively few residential,
single-line phones upon which they were still collecting rent. They simply
"walked away" from them - "abandoned (them) in place".
--

JR

Climb poles and dig holes
Have staplegun, will travel

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Larry Caldwell wrote:

That phone was an antique in 1972.

I doubt it.

If the dial is metal, the set probably has components dating back to the
1950s. If the dial is plastic, it was probably mostly new in 1972.

If the phone has a metal dial and is in "good" condition (including the
handset cord) it is probably collectible and worth selling.
--

JR

Mean Evil Bell System
Historical Society
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Irene" wrote in message
Frank, what does it mean if the old phone had been rented from the phone
company? How would a formerly rented phone affect a conversion to a push
button phone using the same wiring?

As far as I know the phone companies universally abandoned all rental phones
years ago.

A wall phone of your vintage probably has a modular connector. This makes
things easy if it does. Hold the bottom of the phone and slide it up. If
it slide up about an eighth of an inch the phone should pull straight off
the wall. there will be a standard modular jack on the plate you can plug
in the regular phone into.

If the phone is the older type, without the modular jack, the cover of the
phone comes off (Some sort of catch on the bottom of the phone.) and you
will see where a cable with 4 wires has two of these wires attached to screw
terminals. (Usually a red and a green, the other two are not used.) There
will be a mounting screw or two near the bottom that you remove and then the
phone will slide up and off.

To install a modular jack to the old wire, hook the red and the green wire
from your cable to the red and green wire in the jack and the new phone
should work. If you have a dial tone but pushing the buttons on the phone
does not make tones, reverse the connections and that should fix the
problem.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Roger Shoaf" wrote:

As far as I know the phone companies universally abandoned all rental phones
years ago.

True.

A wall phone of your vintage probably has a modular connector. This makes
things easy if it does. Hold the bottom of the phone and slide it up.

IIRC, the OP said the house was built in 1972. If the phone is of that
vintage, it will probably NOT be "modular".

If the coiled handset cord is "modular" (can be disconnected with the little,
smaller-sized modular connectors), the phone is probably also modular. If the
handset cord is "hard-wired" (no modular connectors), the phone is also
hard-wired.

Given the phone has been mounted for so long, if it is modular, a good
"thump", in an upwards direction, against the bottom of the set may be
required to dislodge it. If it ISN'T modular, this modest effort shouldn't
hurt anything: The phone won't budge.

If the phone is hard-wired, there will be a little, recessed "tab" on the
bottom of the set. Using a flat-bladed screw driver, push this tap upwards
slightly while, at the same time, pulling the bottom of the OUTER SHELL away
from the wall.

hook the red and the green wire from your cable to the red and
green wire in the jack and the new phone should work.

Good advice.

If you have a dial tone but pushing the buttons on the phone does not
make tones, reverse the connections and that should fix the problem.

If that occurs (polarity is reversed) they are using yet another antique:
polarity-dependent Touchtoner phones haven't been made in decades.
--

JR

Climb poles and dig holes
Have staplegun, will travel

Can I use a vintage rotary pulse dial phone with tone dialing in the house as well? JLF Home Repair 58 October 18th 07 03:38 AM
ITT rotary phone FCC Reg # AS203P-70086-TE-R davidg Electronics Repair 0 July 31st 07 09:57 PM
Help With Rotary Phone Wiring [email protected] Electronics Repair 5 May 12th 07 09:12 PM
Old Rotary phone - GPO 746 [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 May 12th 07 04:41 AM
Rotary Phone Doesn't Ring [email protected] Electronics Repair 13 December 30th 05 02:16 AM