Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Old, wall rotary phone

Red wrote:
On Jan 12, 7:14 pm, "Twayne" wrote:

When old rotary phones were in use, there were no jacks & plugs; they
wired directly into the boxes on the wall.

Wrong. Some were direct wired and some were modular, plugging into
RJ-11 jacks. I have a pair of rotary dial princess phones from the
70's that are still in use.

Please be careful of misinformation when you aren't sure what you're
talking about.

Applies to you also.

Hints for OP- If handset cord is modular, the wall mount is probably
modular. Also look for another layer of metal between the phone and the
wall, usually silver in color. If you see that, give the phone a sharp
upward rap on the bottom, and see if it pops up and off the wall. In the
transition era to the smaller 2550 TT wall phones, they even had
matching trim plates to cover up the mounting plate of the big old
rotary wall phones and/or the mismatched paint spot. If there is no
modular mounting plate, you will need to 'skin' the phone to get it off
the wall. Look for a notch at the bottom, where you can stick in a
flat-blade screwdriver to release the latch thingy. Once cover pops off,
the mounting screws and feedwire screws should be self-evident.

(I used to do some moonlight telephone work in that era, and still have
a couple crates of old WE phones in basement that I need to sort through
and do the mix-and-match on one of these days.)

aem, not a fan of modern throwaway phones, sends...