Posted to alt.home.repair

Default converting an old rotary phone to work now

On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 18:38:47 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

writes:
On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 15:09:44 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

jaret smith writes:
On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 10:44:47 PM UTC-7, wrote:

=20
Before I went any farther I would find someone with a POTS line and
try it there. If that works your VoIP adapter is the problem. If
everything else works you might have to live with an electronic
ringer.

i got the Telephone Module Pulse Transfer Dual Tone Multiple Frequency DTMF=
Converter. The phone dials out but it wont rind when someone calls me, wh=
ats wrong and what do i have to do?

If it is a western electric model 500 deskset, the ringer may be disconnected
or connected in party-line mode. Look around on the internet for WE500
wiring diagram.

It may also be that the voip adapter doesn't provide sufficient current to
drive the ringer.

You get around the party line thing by connecting the green and yellow
together.

That's not precisely correct. You remove the shell of the phone and
move a connection on the terminal block from one terminal to another.

The yellow and black wires (on the modern POTS side) are N/C.

Red and Green (Ring and Tip) are the only wires connected.

https://www.beatriceco.com/bti/porti...hones-500.html

Scroll down to "do you have a model that doesn't ring".

A rotary dial phone would have had a 3 wire line set, red, green and
yellow. The 4 wire line set came with the Princess phone.
"It's little, it's lovely and it lights". (via a wall wart that put
voltage on the yellow and black for the light bulb)
Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:
On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 18:38:47 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

You get around the party line thing by connecting the green and yellow
together.

That's not precisely correct. You remove the shell of the phone and
move a connection on the terminal block from one terminal to another.

The yellow and black wires (on the modern POTS side) are N/C.

Red and Green (Ring and Tip) are the only wires connected.

https://www.beatriceco.com/bti/porti...hones-500.html

Scroll down to "do you have a model that doesn't ring".

A rotary dial phone would have had a 3 wire line set, red, green and
yellow.

Nonsense. I've three WE500 and one WE300 desksets. None of them
had three wire for the POTS service. POTS service has always been two wire (tip and ring);
the yellow and black wires were used for lighted dials (with a transformer
on premises) on certain model phones. In some installations, the yellow
was tied to local ground.

Look at the Bell wiring diagram noted above.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 25 Sep 2019 13:15:59 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

writes:
On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 18:38:47 GMT,
(Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

[...]

The yellow and green on the old 3 wire line set was used for selective
ringing. I had a party line in 1984 and I know this for sure.
You must just be young if you never saw 3 wire line cords. The 4 wire
cord did not come out until the Princess phone in the 60s.

They also used 3 conductor station wire until the Princess.

Old, wall rotary phone Irene Home Repair 34 January 27th 08 02:41 AM
ITT rotary phone FCC Reg # AS203P-70086-TE-R davidg Electronics Repair 0 July 31st 07 09:57 PM
Help With Rotary Phone Wiring [email protected] Electronics Repair 5 May 12th 07 09:12 PM
Old Rotary phone - GPO 746 [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 May 12th 07 04:41 AM
Rotary Phone Doesn't Ring [email protected] Electronics Repair 13 December 30th 05 02:16 AM