Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default converting an old rotary phone to work now

On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 11:58:11 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Saturday, July 13, 2019 at 5:38:20 AM UTC-7, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 10:29:14 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 4:50:19 PM UTC-7, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 7/12/19 7:31 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, August 10, 2008 at 8:45:10 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I just got an old rotary phone from an antique store - the original
cord is attached - I want to hook it up and use it in my home - what
do I do??

I have a Philips Electrical Works....thinking 1940's. Whant to do this too is it the same as all other posts?

If it's got a red wire and a green wire, hook those up to the matching
wires in your house phone line.

--
Ever notice the shortage of "armed law-abiding citizen€ť victim tragedy
stories in the news?

i get a beep beep then dead air, i dail and then the same happens. Do i need a POTS?

It's quite amazing that in all this you have yet to tell us what phone service
you have that you're trying to connect this rotary phone to.

Telus, im in canada.

So Telus looks to be an internet, cable, etc company, not a traditional phone
company that offers pots. You need a converter to go from rotary pulses to
DTMF tones, like this:

http://www.oldphoneshop.com/products...providers.html

That should work for basic dialing or "push 2 for English". Beyond
that you will likely have problems, eg good luck getting it to work
with any system you interact with where you need to enter a hashtag,
etc. But if you're just using it for a nostalgia phone, converter should
be fine.