Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default rotary phone dial out

On 9/29/14, 4:40 PM, wrote:
I have 2 rotary phones that have dial tone and receives calls.
Unfortunately, I cannot dial out on either phone. The first phone
was purchased appx 1 month ago from a local 2nd hand store. The phone
company has serviced the lines and added jacks as requested appx 2
weeks back. The tech had stated that there was a problem with the
first phone. The second phone was received on 9.29 and I still have
the same issue. Is there a simple fix?

Do you hear pulses in the handset as the dial spins back? For example,
there should be 3 pulses as it spins back from 3.

The pulsing could be seen by unplugging the phone and connecting a 1.5 V
battery and light bulb in series with the phone terminals. With the
handset in the cradle, the light should be off. Lifting the handset
should turn the light on. Turning the dial and releasing it should
cause the dial to pulse 10 times a second.

If the pulsing seemed to be okay, I'd try the phone elsewhere in case
the problem is with the local phone office or line.