Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N[_2_] N8N[_2_] is offline

Default converting an old rotary phone to work now

On Sunday, August 10, 2008 11:45:10 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I just got an old rotary phone from an antique store - the original
cord is attached - I want to hook it up and use it in my home - what
do I do??

Probably just replace the cord with one with a RJ-45 jack on it. e.g.

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/cloth-c...us-colors.html

if you don't care about keeping it original looking any spade to RJ-45 cord should work.

Most phone exchanges still will work with rotary AKA pulse dialing. So will Verizon's FiOS boxes - I'm using a late 40's vintage Western Electric wall phone in my kitchen, we have FiOS. The only thing to watch is the REN (Ringer Equivalence Number) and the limits your phone company imposes (each device connected in your house will have a REN and when you sum them up there is a maximum number for your phone number) - any old phone with a mechanical ringer probably has a REN of one.

nate