Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default rotary phone dial out

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 19:06:31 -0500, philo* wrote:

On 09/29/2014 03:40 PM, wrote:
I have 2 rotary phones that have dial tone and receives calls. Unfortunately, I cannot dial out on either phone. The first phone was purchased appx 1 month ago from a local 2nd hand store. The phone company has serviced the lines and added jacks as requested appx 2 weeks back. The tech had stated that there was a problem with the first phone. The second phone was received on 9.29 and I still have the same issue. Is there a simple fix?

If these are Western Electric phones, it's hard to believe they're
broken. (I have one 6 feet away that works fine.) If they are newer
than that, with brand names on them other than WE, they might well be.

(Somewhere I have the wiring diagram for WE dial and touch tone phones.)

But try them at someone else's house, someone with a different carrier
if possible.

What kind of jacks did the phone company add? Not those 4 pin ones
with the pins almost 3/4s of an inch apart?

Do that and then if there's still a problem we can talk about fixing the
phone.

If you have a "POTS" line you can dial out...
but no dial-out is possible on VoIP

I have an old dial phone and I'm using semaphores for communication, but
I can't get the phone to actuate the semaphores. What should I do?