Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sliding door for a bathroom - a bad idea?

Hi,

I'm considering installing a sliding door for a power room that
adjacent to my mud room at back entrance to the house. Is it for some
reason a bad idea? E.g. it doesn't give great privacy, etc? The reason
I ask is that DIY websites don't mention bathrooms as potential
candidates for sliding doors.

Also, the wall is very thin. I only have 1.5 inches inside the wall.
Is it even doable?

Thanks!

Aaron
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 2:48*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I'm considering installing a sliding door for a power room that
adjacent to my mud room at back entrance to the house. Is it for some
reason a bad idea? E.g. it doesn't give great privacy, etc? The reason
I ask is that DIY websites don't mention bathrooms as potential
candidates for sliding doors.

Also, the wall is very thin. I only have 1.5 inches inside the wall.
Is it even doable?

Thanks!

Aaron

Whether it's a bad idea or a good idea depends on why you are
considering it.

If there is no room to open a standard door all the way, or if the
user will need to open the door then walk around it then do a 360 and
stand on their head to get in and out of the bathroom, then maybe it's
a good idea.

Tell us *why* you are considering it and maybe we can offer some more
advice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 9:09*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

That's pretty much why. It's not that bad, but it's about 75% that
bad. The door opens out because the bathroom is only 28" across and
30" long. The door can only open half-way because the laundry machine
is in the way.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 23:48:29 -0700, Aaron Fude wrote:

Hi,

I'm considering installing a sliding door for a power room that adjacent
to my mud room at back entrance to the house. Is it for some reason a
bad idea? E.g. it doesn't give great privacy, etc? The reason I ask is
that DIY websites don't mention bathrooms as potential candidates for
sliding doors.

Also, the wall is very thin. I only have 1.5 inches inside the wall. Is
it even doable?

Thanks!

Aaron

I'm going to install a louvered pocket door in a 2x4 wall. My door is as
thick as your wall or so it seems.

You might want to consider an accordion door although sometimes these
don't shut/latch easily. Without knowing all your details or the layout
of the mudroom or the bathroom (full, 3/4 or half?), have you considered
making the entire area (i.e., mudroom/bath) one area? Put your privacy
door on the mudroom and then you don't have to worry about the bath area.

Never understood the big deal about bathrooms and privacy. We all have
bodies and our bodies have parts. What we do with and for our bodies has
been done many times before by others ever since humans began to populate
the planet.

Franz Fripplfrappl
Posted to alt.home.repair

"franz fripplfrappl" wrote in message

Never understood the big deal about bathrooms and privacy. We all have
bodies and our bodies have parts. What we do with and for our bodies has
been done many times before by others ever since humans began to populate
the planet.

True, but millions of people have been twisted & wrecked by neurotic parents
and certain age-old institutions whose purpose is to dish out shame to
anyone weak enough to listen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 9:46*am, franz fripplfrappl wrote:
[...]

Mr. Fripplfrappl said: Never understood the big deal about bathrooms
and privacy.

To which Mr. SpareBedroom replied: millions of people have been
twisted & wrecked by neurotic parents - etc.

Causing DerbyDad03 to ask: Do either of you poop with the door open
when other people are around?

Just curious as to whether you practice what you preach. g
Posted to alt.home.repair

One option would be to go to http://lowes.com or http://homedepot.com and do
a search for "folding doors". You'll see low-cost accordion style doors. I
think they are made of vinyl. You can buy a lock that goes with them and
you can put a strip of trim on the end that closes for privacy.

Another thought would be to see if you could change over to a full-size
stackable front loading washer and dryer for your mud/laundry room to create
more space for the existing powder room door. The front loading washers
come in large capacity, use less water, etc.

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

That's pretty much why. It's not that bad, but it's about 75% that
bad. The door opens out because the bathroom is only 28" across and
30" long. The door can only open half-way because the laundry machine
is in the way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
[...]

You're talking about door or no door. The way I interpret the discussion so
far is whether an accordion door gives enough privacy compared to a normal
door. Since the accordion door would certainly afford visual privacy, the
remaining issue is sound. Believe it or not, there are people who get
freaked out at the idea that someone might hear what's happening in the
bathroom.

And yes, I close the door.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jun 10, 8:29 am, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
Bad idea. It could be done, but it would likely look bad and function
bad and require additional maintenance. Sliding (pocket) doors usually are
only used for special situations with good reason. BTW the privacy issue is
really a non-issue. Pocket doors can give good privacy.

I have one on my master bath. It works fine and has never
required any "additional maintenance". (25 yr old home)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:

I'm considering installing a sliding door for a power room that
adjacent to my mud room at back entrance to the house. Is it for some
reason a bad idea? E.g. it doesn't give great privacy, etc? The reason
I ask is that DIY websites don't mention bathrooms as potential
candidates for sliding doors.

Also, the wall is very thin. I only have 1.5 inches inside the wall.
Is it even doable?

Since you're asking about the sliding door in reference to the wall
thickness, you probably mean a pocket door. A standard interior door
is 1.375" inches thick, so without modification to that wall, no, it
won't work unless you use a sheet of plywood as the pocket door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 6:46*am, franz fripplfrappl wrote:
[...]

Agree. My answer to being caught out is "if you haven't seen one
before, it is time you did". Took me years to get over the religious
'sex is sinful' indoctrination.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 8:17*am, "readandpostrosie"
wrote:
it is a great space saver, and provides all the privacy you need. i have a
pantry, powder room, and two full baths with sliding doors, and have had NO
maintenance problems at all.
i DO hate the little locks, but then i have arthritic fingers !
we used six panel solid oak doors on all of them, which took care of any
sound problem.

--

bush's third term!http://www.truthout.org/article/mcca...s-secretly-too

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

Hi,

I'm considering installing a sliding door for a power room that
adjacent to my mud room at back entrance to the house. Is it for some
reason a bad idea? E.g. it doesn't give great privacy, etc? The reason
I ask is that DIY websites don't mention bathrooms as potential
candidates for sliding doors.

Also, the wall is very thin. I only have 1.5 inches inside the wall.
Is it even doable?

Thanks!

Aaron- Hide quoted text -

My SIL has one on her main bath - space considerations. Yes, it does
not have that 'solid' feel that a regular door has but if you need to
feel like you are in a bankvault to drop your pants, you have serious
problems.

The answer to the '1.5' question hasn't been made clear: No, it is
not possible without thickening the wall or mounting on the face of
the wall - a really bad looking installation.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm considering installing a sliding door for a power room that
adjacent to my mud room at back entrance to the house. Is it for some
reason a bad idea? E.g. it doesn't give great privacy, etc? The reason
I ask is that DIY websites don't mention bathrooms as potential
candidates for sliding doors.

Also, the wall is very thin. I only have 1.5 inches inside the wall.
Is it even doable?

Thanks!

Aaron

Aaron,
I have seen sliding door hardware that allows the door to be mounted on the
outside of the wall. If you have a good looking door, it looks pretty cool.
I'm going that route for a master bath door. Not much room to swing a door,
and the wife would rather not watch me take a dump.... You can also install
a valance to cover the hardware/track. If it's something that may help, I
can find it for you.

Just my .02,

Mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
: That's pretty much why. It's not that bad, but it's about 75% that
: bad. The door opens out because the bathroom is only 28" across and
: 30" long. The door can only open half-way because the laundry machine
: is in the way.

We don't see them as much anymore, but double doors (two "1/2 doors"
that met in the middle) were much more commonly used once as a space
saving device: only 1/2 clearance is needed. Consider those as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Bad idea. It could be done, but it would likely look bad and function
bad and require additional maintenance. Sliding (pocket) doors usually are
only used for special situations with good reason. BTW the privacy issue is
really a non-issue. Pocket doors can give good privacy.

I have one on my master bath. It works fine and has never
required any "additional maintenance". (25 yr old home)

I've got one in my master bath as well. It's never had an issue and it did
solve the problem of where to physically locate the door. The bifold doors that
somebody else advocated are a real pain in the ass. They're always coming off
the track or the angles get off and it won't close completely.

As an aside, I remember the first time I ever dealt with a pocket door: it was
in the General Von Steuben Hotel in Frankfurt, Germany when I was about 6 or 7
years old. I thought it was the neatest thing since sliced bread.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:

Hi,

I'm considering installing a sliding door for a power room that
adjacent to my mud room at back entrance to the house. Is it for some
reason a bad idea? E.g. it doesn't give great privacy, etc? The reason
I ask is that DIY websites don't mention bathrooms as potential
candidates for sliding doors.

Also, the wall is very thin. I only have 1.5 inches inside the wall.
Is it even doable?

Thanks!

Aaron

We have four pocket doors in our condo, one of which is to the master
bath. Hardly ever
close these doors, but, rather, just close the door to the master
bedroom. I can't
imagine that you could put in a pocket door, especially in such a thin
wall. Is the
powder room used often? Perhaps you could fashion a series of panels
that stack
to one side of the doorway when open?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 2:48*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I'm considering installing a sliding door for a power room that
adjacent to my mud room at back entrance to the house. Is it for some
reason a bad idea? E.g. it doesn't give great privacy, etc? The reason
I ask is that DIY websites don't mention bathrooms as potential
candidates for sliding doors.

Also, the wall is very thin. I only have 1.5 inches inside the wall.
Is it even doable?

Thanks!

Aaron

Install a pocket door.

First, a bit of philosophy: There are problems for which there are
perfect solutions; there are problems for which there are no
solutions; and, there are problems for which there are imperfect
solutions that do the job but leave a bit to be desired.

Now, to the details. You state in a follow-on post that the problem
is, there's a small bathroom that does not lend itself to a normal
door. You apparently don't like an accordion door -- I don't either
-- accordion doors a pieces of ****. There are drawbacks to the
pocket door, but, if you need a pocket, **** on it, install the pocket
and stop worrying.

I am building a new house and have installed two pocket doors:
-- One in my 12X12 pantry
-- One in the opening between the vanity-dressing area and the master
bath.

In each case, I installed a pocket door because I didn't want to give
up to floor space to a door swing.

The drawbacks a
-- Pockets are a pain in the ass to install.
-- Instead of nails or screws, use Liquid Nails to secure the
sheetrock to the pocket stud.
-- You must be VERY careful if you want to hang a picture on a wall
that contains a pocket door.
-- You can't put electrical stuff (switch, outlets, etc.) in the wall
with a pocket.
-- So, PLAN your electrical and pictures to avoid the wall with the
pockets.

However, these drawbacks are minor if you really do need the space.

In designing our house, we looked very long and very hard at the + and
- of a pocket door vs. swinging door and we went with pockets in two
specific places, swinging doors in every other place.

Now, back to philosophy: The pocket door is an example of an
imperfect solution -- but -- if it's what you need, install it and
forget about the drawbacks.

We are finishing our hardwood floors this week, installing carpet next
week, and start moving in the first week of July. We have spent hours
walking through the house second-guessing some decisions we made but
we are pleased with the pocket doors.

Sometimes you can think too much about a matter.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jun 11, 12:02 am, "Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names"
wrote:
[...]

Great info, but like myself, I missed a key point in his post.

He only has a 1.5" opening to install the door.

I have about a 2" opening and the door is about 1.25" wide.

So unless that make a thinner door track combo, he is out of luck.

Fitting a 71' french door into a 74" sliding door opening Greg Kroll Home Repair 4 March 29th 08 12:17 AM
halogen lights in bathroom- was this a bad idea? s UK diy 1 January 20th 08 02:34 PM
Sliding door for bathroom Ben UK diy 3 April 26th 07 04:19 PM
Brilliant (???) Bathroom Idea? [email protected] Home Repair 15 December 14th 04 03:56 AM
Any idea where I can buy a sliding patio door roller from? Steve Frost UK diy 1 May 27th 04 04:43 PM