Default Brilliant (???) Bathroom Idea?

THere's dulled enamel, 70's avocado green bathroom tile I would like to
take down. It is used as floor molding (a single course) and up to
wainscoting level around a sink fixture.

Recognizing that the likelihood of successfully prying every tile loose
with a crowbar diminishes proportionately with the luck of the
homeowner doing it, I figure I might pry 99 of 100 tiles loose
BE-OO-TIFULLY, and then the last would tunnel down to China.

So I bought a Dremel tool and figure I'd cut off all the tile that way,
then replace the drywall. Can anything think of anything particularly
stupid about removing tile this way?

BTW, the reason it *has* to be removed is because an elderly relative,
for some god-awful reason, replaced the dull avocado floor tile in the
mid 80's with bubble-gum pink-swirl 12 inchers. The place looks like
H&%l.

m Ransley

Dont even bother trying to save he wall tile, the uneven glue or mortar
residue on the back makes it unuseable. Maybe redoing the floor is best,
easiest-cheapest.

LFR

"m Ransley" wrote in message ...
Dont even bother trying to save he wall tile, the uneven glue or mortar
residue on the back makes it unuseable. Maybe redoing the floor is best,
easiest-cheapest.

I think someone has already redone the floor...which is why the poster is now compelled to replace the wall tiles.

The question was...is the method of removal ok or is it particularly stupid (to paraphrase).
m Ransley

I thought reusing tile was his idea. I have never seen a wall that did
not have to be redone after removing tile. You are best to figure in the
cost of new walls, whatever the outcome that is what is most likely to
happen, that tile was put on to stay there.

DJ

On 11 Dec 2004 02:44:19 -0800, "
wrote:

THere's dulled enamel, 70's avocado green bathroom tile I would like to
take down. It is used as floor molding (a single course) and up to
wainscoting level around a sink fixture.

Recognizing that the likelihood of successfully prying every tile loose
with a crowbar diminishes proportionately with the luck of the
homeowner doing it, I figure I might pry 99 of 100 tiles loose
BE-OO-TIFULLY, and then the last would tunnel down to China.

So I bought a Dremel tool and figure I'd cut off all the tile that way,
then replace the drywall. Can anything think of anything particularly
stupid about removing tile this way?

I'm about to redo our kitchen, which will include removing the tiled
backsplash. I'm figuring I will just cut the drywall down to the
studs, pry and peel the whole mess off in chunks as large as I can
handle at once.

DJ

David '04 KTM 200EXC
djonesatLSidaho.com
http://www.motosports-boise.com/rmd
Michael Baugh

I had Pepto-Bizmol-pink tile.
I rented a chipping hammer, ran it along the studs,
then used an angle grinder to cut the mesh that was
attached to the studs before the mortar was put on.
Pointless to try to save anything.

wrote in message
oups.com...
THere's dulled enamel, 70's avocado green bathroom tile I would like to
take down. It is used as floor molding (a single course) and up to
wainscoting level around a sink fixture.

Recognizing that the likelihood of successfully prying every tile loose
with a crowbar diminishes proportionately with the luck of the
homeowner doing it, I figure I might pry 99 of 100 tiles loose
BE-OO-TIFULLY, and then the last would tunnel down to China.

So I bought a Dremel tool and figure I'd cut off all the tile that way,
then replace the drywall. Can anything think of anything particularly
stupid about removing tile this way?

BTW, the reason it *has* to be removed is because an elderly relative,
for some god-awful reason, replaced the dull avocado floor tile in the
mid 80's with bubble-gum pink-swirl 12 inchers. The place looks like
H&%l.

Colbyt

So I bought a Dremel tool and figure I'd cut off all the tile that way,
then replace the drywall. Can anything think of anything particularly
stupid about removing tile this way?

You can use the dremel to cut the wall board above the tile and then pry the
whole mess off the studs. If you think the dremel is going to cut the tile
or the grout you are about to be disappointed.

The low tech way is to start at the top wearing heavy leather gloves sing a
flat ply bar and a hammer.

Colbyt

m Ransley

Dremel = dust and a mess. I would never consider a Dremel, A hammer and
bar are better.

Colbyt wrote:

You can use the dremel to cut the wall board above the tile and then

pry the
whole mess off the studs. If you think the dremel is going to cut

the tile
or the grout you are about to be disappointed.

Say WHAT? You mean the tool can't be used on simple grout?

TO make my original post more clear, I don't have any intention of
re-using or repairing the ugly avocado tile. N-N0!!! I'm throwing it
out. But I *did* buy the Dremel Tool partly 'cause I was told it would
dig out grout (not acrylic grout, old-fashioned sand-based grout) in
other parts of the bathroom. There's this ugly pink sand-based grout
disintegrating on the 12" floor tiles, and I figured I'd regrout with a
siena or terra cotta color and keep my fingers crossed that THAT would
trick the eye into thinking the pink in the tiles wasn't really pink
but something more fashionable.

Sweet Jaysus, I'm watching a religious show I watch every Saturday
night and thinking it's lucky the Virgin Mary didn't live in the U.S.
I think Jesus Himself would have cussed like a sailor if He had to do
all the grunt work for His Mom.

Rant OFF.

m Ransley

Waiste of time

Colbyt

wrote in message
oups.com...
Colbyt wrote:

You can use the dremel to cut the wall board above the tile and then

pry the
whole mess off the studs. If you think the dremel is going to cut

the tile
or the grout you are about to be disappointed.

Say WHAT? You mean the tool can't be used on simple grout?

Buy your bits by the case. It may handle the rotten grout on the floor but
you are going to burn up a lot of bits on the wall tile. Buy yourself a set
of safety glass also. Would hate to see you lose an eye when one of the
bits snaps off.

And yes I mean you can't believe everything you see advertised on TV.

Colbyt

Dave Mitton

"Colbyt" wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Colbyt wrote:

You can use the dremel to cut the wall board above the tile and then

pry the
whole mess off the studs. If you think the dremel is going to cut

the tile
or the grout you are about to be disappointed.

Say WHAT? You mean the tool can't be used on simple grout?

Buy your bits by the case. It may handle the rotten grout on the floor but
you are going to burn up a lot of bits on the wall tile. Buy yourself a set
of safety glass also. Would hate to see you lose an eye when one of the
bits snaps off.

And yes I mean you can't believe everything you see advertised on TV.

Colbyt

I've used the grout removal kit for the Dremel twice now, and I've only broken a
bit once. But if you're doing a big job, I would recommend having a spare or
two. The first time, I broke the tip off, and I continued using the rest of
the bit. The angled fixture works well to steady the bit, and the nubs help
keep it in line. I think it works great.

Dave.

Pick up a set of el-cheapo diamond bits from HF, they work pretty
good for
that application.

Thanks. I have a confession to make, though. I used the term Dremel
Tool, but it's really a Craftsman. I wonder what Dave meant when he
talks about "the angled fixture" working well. Is this something
exclusive to real Dremel Tools, because my Craftsman is straight light
a portable cordless screwdriver.

rj

dunno, my Dremel is straight too, I used the router base attachment for
cutting grout, made it easier to control.
RJ
wrote in message
oups.com...
Pick up a set of el-cheapo diamond bits from HF, they work pretty

good for
that application.

Thanks. I have a confession to make, though. I used the term Dremel
Tool, but it's really a Craftsman. I wonder what Dave meant when he
talks about "the angled fixture" working well. Is this something
exclusive to real Dremel Tools, because my Craftsman is straight light
a portable cordless screwdriver.

Bathroom fans improperly vented jeff Home Repair 11 June 4th 04 05:30 PM
Bathroom Mirror. Terry Home Repair 2 May 2nd 04 10:42 PM
Bathroom Paint - Required? Charles Middleton UK diy 7 March 12th 04 01:08 AM
Bathroom exhaust fan and dryer fan [email protected] Home Ownership 1 September 4th 03 06:03 PM