Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Bathroom exhaust fan and dryer fan

I'm finishing the bathroom and trying to find a way to install an
exhaust fan. There is an laundary next to the bathroom and I'm
wondering whether it's going to be a good idea to connect both
bathroom exhaust fan duct and dryer duct to the same duct leading
outside (I really don't want to dig another hole in the wall - it's a
condominium unit).
Can the air from either bathroom or dryer go inside the other unit or
it goes to a "less resistant" direction - outside?

On 3 Sep 2003 20:18:32 -0700, someone wrote:

Can the air from either bathroom or dryer go inside the other unit or
it goes to a "less resistant" direction - outside?

Bathroom fans used to commonly be vented to common exhausts and had a
little flap damper to prevent (probably just reduce) backflow.
However, apparently some codes don't allow this any more anyway.

The dryer doesn't have a damper like that, does it? Besides, I don't
think it is a good idea. The dryer in particular runs with a big flow
at a pretty significant pressure; how well do you think the bathroom
fan would work while the dryer is on, pushing against that pressure?

And BTW, as to the "less resistant" direction, its not all or nothing.
There is SOME resistance in either direction, and you would tend to
get SOME flow in both directions, without control valves. Its not
just less resistance = ALL flow.

What's the wall made of, how hard is it to put in another hole, never
mind condo or single, what is it made of?

-v.