jeff

Default Bathroom fans improperly vented

I'm buying a townhouse, and the home inspector found out that the bathroom
fans are vented into the attic, causing damage to the roof sheathing in the
area above the bathroom fans. The home inspector suggested an easy
solution, which would involve connecting a 4" flexible plastic exhaust hose
to the fans and then running the hoses underneath the attic's
roof-exhaust-fan, and nail the ends of the exhaust hoses immediately below
the attic exhaust fan and having them pointed upward toward the exhaust
fan. The idea here is that the moisture will escape through the fan's
opening whether or not the fan is running.

I just wonder if the solution suggested by the home inspector is actually
going to vent the moisture from the bathroom properly. I'm worried that,
with such a setup, in the winter, the moisture from the bathroom would
simply condense on the attic's exhaust fan causing damage to the fan. What
do you think?

Wouldn't venting through a gable end of the townhouse be the ideal solution?
The path to the gable end might be 20 feet long though...is that too far a
path?

Please advise on the best solution.

If I'm unable to get the condo association to approve a proper correction of
this problem, then would it be okay simply to avoid using the fans when
taking a shower. The home inspector things that not using the fans is
going to be a problem (since it could cause mold/mildew problems in the
bathroom, or paint to peel in the bathroom, etc.) but my thoughts are that
this may be less problematic than the ongoing damage to roof-sheathing
caused by the existing setup. In other words, is my not using a bathroom
fan really going to cause major damage to the bathroom?

What do you think?

Thanks.

Jeff

xrongor

"jeff" wrote in message
et...
I'm buying a townhouse, and the home inspector found out that the bathroom
fans are vented into the attic, causing damage to the roof sheathing in

the
area above the bathroom fans. The home inspector suggested an easy
solution, which would involve connecting a 4" flexible plastic exhaust

hose
to the fans and then running the hoses underneath the attic's
roof-exhaust-fan, and nail the ends of the exhaust hoses immediately below
the attic exhaust fan and having them pointed upward toward the exhaust
fan. The idea here is that the moisture will escape through the fan's
opening whether or not the fan is running.

up isnt good enough. it needs to point out. it needs its own hole. sounds
like right below the fan might be a good place.

I just wonder if the solution suggested by the home inspector is actually
going to vent the moisture from the bathroom properly. I'm worried that,
with such a setup, in the winter, the moisture from the bathroom would
simply condense on the attic's exhaust fan causing damage to the fan.

What
do you think?

i simply dont think it will even be flowing outside. it will condense right
as it leaves the hose, possibly even dripping right back down into it if its
facing straight up. it needs to be vented outside directly. but if it did
somehow find a path outside, i doubt it would hurt the fan.

Wouldn't venting through a gable end of the townhouse be the ideal

solution?
The path to the gable end might be 20 feet long though...is that too far a
path?

its unclear how far it already goes, but i doubt the extra 20' will prevent
it from functioning.

Please advise on the best solution.

vent it directly outside.

If I'm unable to get the condo association to approve a proper correction

of
this problem,

thats all you need to know about the condo association. you have a house
being damaged and in need of a proper fix. if they wont let you properly
fix it, politely tell them to go to hell.

then would it be okay simply to avoid using the fans when
taking a shower.

ok? probably. for a while. depending on how much moisture is already in
the house.

The home inspector things that not using the fans is
going to be a problem (since it could cause mold/mildew problems in the
bathroom, or paint to peel in the bathroom, etc.) but my thoughts are

that
this may be less problematic than the ongoing damage to roof-sheathing
caused by the existing setup. In other words, is my not using a bathroom
fan really going to cause major damage to the bathroom?

probably, eventually.

What do you think?

it needs to be fixed properly. as i said before if the association wont
allow a proper fix, you would be foolish to buy into it. that said, i
wouldnt buy into ANYTHING where some association could tell me what i can
and cant do to my own house.

randy

Joseph Meehan

jeff wrote:
[...]

Give it its own vent. Besides, the fan in not going to be on in the
winter.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

j.duprie

If you have soffet vents (the bottom side ofthe soffet has lots of little
holes in it - kinda like a coarse screen), you can simple attach a 4"
flexable duct to the existing vent, and put the other end up againts the
soffet vent (pointing down). When the fan is running, it'll vent through the
soffet vent.

A better solution is to remove one (or 2 0r 3) of the soffet vent panels,
and replace it with a real vent...

--JD

"jeff" wrote in message
et...
[...]

John Gilmer

"xrongor" wrote in message

"jeff" wrote in message
et...
[...]

I well realize that venting to the attic isn't done any more and I also
understand why.

BUT the reality is that most of the time in most places, it doesn't do much
harm.

OTOH, venting through the roof provides yet another place where rain can
come in.

Overall, the main reason to "correct" your "problem" is to keep it from
being "red flagged" by another inspector when you finally sell the unit.

Bob S.

"jeff" wrote in message . net...
[...]

My house has a couple of whirl-a-jig wind powered vents, plus gable
end vents. One bath fan vents up into the base of a wind powered vent
and the other bath fan vents horizontally out a gable end vent. Both
were the closest outlets. I was originally concerned that the
horizontal run would be a problem, thinking condensation water buildup
before exiting would cause the vent hose to sag, but it never
happened.
Been that way for 25 years with no roof/vent/fan problems.

Bob S.
Bruce

I read an article in the home section of the local paper that
recommended against venting a bathroom fan out or near the soffit
since these vents draw air into the attic which is then exhausted out
the gable or ridge vents (through a natural convective action that
occurs when the attic heats up). Moist air vented at the soffit could
just be pulled back into the attic.

"j.duprie" wrote in message ...
If you have soffet vents (the bottom side ofthe soffet has lots of little
holes in it - kinda like a coarse screen), you can simple attach a 4"
flexable duct to the existing vent, and put the other end up againts the
soffet vent (pointing down). When the fan is running, it'll vent through the
soffet vent.

A better solution is to remove one (or 2 0r 3) of the soffet vent panels,
and replace it with a real vent...

--JD

Chet Hayes

I had the same suggestion made to me during some remodeling work that
required a bath fan to be re-routed. I think as long as you get the
duct into the roof fan opening, it will work.

However, I came up with what I think is a real problem. In the
summer, the attic fan will be running. That will create a vacuum that
will draw cool inside air up from the bathroom and pump it outside,
whether the bathroom fan is running or not. This could be a
considerable energy loss.

The best solution is to put in either a roof or soffit vent for the
outlet. They are cheap and easy to do. The condo association can't
stop you from fixing this the right way. If necessary, just bring in
the local code enforcement officer.
SQLit

"jeff" wrote in message
et...
[...]

Time to walk away, if the association is punchy now then they will be a pain
later.
If it is not up to code now how do you know the extent of the damage.
Tell the seller to fix it and then you want to have an reinspection.

jeff wrote:

[...]

i would look for another place for sale.. its gonna be a problem down
the line when the sheeting has to be replaced... what other defects did
the inspector not find??? cant expect someone to find all the falts that
places get over the years....

Mike Fritz

jeff wrote:
[...]

Is this a code violation? If so, you may have to get the law to
investigate the HOA for denying corrective action.
--Mike
jeff

i would look for another place for sale.. its gonna be a problem down
the line when the sheeting has to be replaced... what other defects did
the inspector not find??? cant expect someone to find all the falts that
places get over the years....

True, but don't all places have problems that come up here and there?

Jeff