Posted to alt.home.repair
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names is offline

Default Sliding door for a bathroom - a bad idea?

On Jun 10, 2:48*am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I'm considering installing a sliding door for a power room that
adjacent to my mud room at back entrance to the house. Is it for some
reason a bad idea? E.g. it doesn't give great privacy, etc? The reason
I ask is that DIY websites don't mention bathrooms as potential
candidates for sliding doors.

Also, the wall is very thin. I only have 1.5 inches inside the wall.
Is it even doable?

Thanks!

Aaron

Install a pocket door.

First, a bit of philosophy: There are problems for which there are
perfect solutions; there are problems for which there are no
solutions; and, there are problems for which there are imperfect
solutions that do the job but leave a bit to be desired.

Now, to the details. You state in a follow-on post that the problem
is, there's a small bathroom that does not lend itself to a normal
door. You apparently don't like an accordion door -- I don't either
-- accordion doors a pieces of ****. There are drawbacks to the
pocket door, but, if you need a pocket, **** on it, install the pocket
and stop worrying.

I am building a new house and have installed two pocket doors:
-- One in my 12X12 pantry
-- One in the opening between the vanity-dressing area and the master
bath.

In each case, I installed a pocket door because I didn't want to give
up to floor space to a door swing.

The drawbacks a
-- Pockets are a pain in the ass to install.
-- Instead of nails or screws, use Liquid Nails to secure the
sheetrock to the pocket stud.
-- You must be VERY careful if you want to hang a picture on a wall
that contains a pocket door.
-- You can't put electrical stuff (switch, outlets, etc.) in the wall
with a pocket.
-- So, PLAN your electrical and pictures to avoid the wall with the
pockets.

However, these drawbacks are minor if you really do need the space.

In designing our house, we looked very long and very hard at the + and
- of a pocket door vs. swinging door and we went with pockets in two
specific places, swinging doors in every other place.

Now, back to philosophy: The pocket door is an example of an
imperfect solution -- but -- if it's what you need, install it and
forget about the drawbacks.

We are finishing our hardwood floors this week, installing carpet next
week, and start moving in the first week of July. We have spent hours
walking through the house second-guessing some decisions we made but
we are pleased with the pocket doors.

Sometimes you can think too much about a matter.