Posted to alt.home.repair
Mortimer Schnerd, RN Mortimer Schnerd, RN is offline

Default Sliding door for a bathroom - a bad idea?

Ron wrote:
On Jun 10, 8:29 am, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:
Bad idea. It could be done, but it would likely look bad and function
bad and require additional maintenance. Sliding (pocket) doors usually are
only used for special situations with good reason. BTW the privacy issue is
really a non-issue. Pocket doors can give good privacy.

I have one on my master bath. It works fine and has never
required any "additional maintenance". (25 yr old home)

I've got one in my master bath as well. It's never had an issue and it did
solve the problem of where to physically locate the door. The bifold doors that
somebody else advocated are a real pain in the ass. They're always coming off
the track or the angles get off and it won't close completely.

As an aside, I remember the first time I ever dealt with a pocket door: it was
in the General Von Steuben Hotel in Frankfurt, Germany when I was about 6 or 7
years old. I thought it was the neatest thing since sliced bread.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com