Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

Default How many therms (natural gas) do you use per day (per month)?

I'm curious how I compare with others in my natural gas usage.

I used 120 therms in the past 30 days (about 4 therms per day).
HOW MANY THERMS DID YOU USE LAST MONTH?

I do realize that there are _many_ factors that affect usage but there is
only one number for your final usage. That's what I'd like to compare.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

I used 120 therms in the past 30 days (about 4 therms per day).
HOW MANY THERMS DID YOU USE LAST MONTH?

I should note that California alots only 2 therms a day for baseline costs
of about $1.22 per therm (plus 5 cents per therm PPP Surcharge); so
apparently I'm consuming double the natural gas energy California allows
(regardless of home size or number of people) for base rates.

The over-baseline charges are $1.37 per therm plus that same 5 cents per
therm additional charge for poor people (i.e., the California Gas PPP
Surcharge).

Does ANYONE actually use just 2 therms per day for their gas furnace and
hot-water heater for two people living in a small 1,500 sqft house?
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator wrote:
I'm curious how I compare with others in my natural gas usage.

I used 120 therms in the past 30 days (about 4 therms per day).
HOW MANY THERMS DID YOU USE LAST MONTH?

I do realize that there are _many_ factors that affect usage but there is
only one number for your final usage. That's what I'd like to compare.

Well, how cold is your climate? How well insulated is your house? What
is your indoor temperature?

I'm in a mild climate (~ 2700 degree days a year, that's cooler than
LA and warmer than San Francisco) with nightime average lows in the
30's. Currently I'm all electric, with electric space heaters and am
living in about half of a 2000 SF house. I used 850 kWhrs or about 30
therms last month and I think it may have historically been a bit above
average in temps.

Now, I actively try to reduce consumption (I'm in a 1920 house). Your
useage for a mild climate seems high to me. Not for a cold climate though.

Jeff
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

"Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator" wrote in
message . ..
I'm curious how I compare with others in my natural gas usage.

I used 120 therms in the past 30 days (about 4 therms per day).
HOW MANY THERMS DID YOU USE LAST MONTH?

I do realize that there are _many_ factors that affect usage but there is
only one number for your final usage. That's what I'd like to compare.

We use about 100MCF per year for 2600 square feet. We used 22.3 or almost a
1/4 of our yearly usage last month.

That was with a 37.7 average daily temperature. That should be our coldest 4
weeks of the winter. Knock on wood!

To be fair, I was home more during the day than normal so I over-rode the
setback more.

Once upon a time I could convert therms to MCF but that is long since
forgotten.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

"Colbyt" wrote:

Once upon a time I could convert therms to MCF but that is long since
forgotten.

10.31 therms = 1 MCF

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:14:46 -0800, Anthony Matonak wrote:
I'm only one person but I average about 5 therms a month.

Wow. 5 therms a month is extremely low, it seems to me.

The US Department of Energy assumes the "average" houshold uses a bit less
than 1/2 a therm a day *just* for the water heater alone!

43,302 kJ/day = 41,045 Btu/day = 0.4105 therm/day

That would be 15 therms a month just for hot water for the average
household in America. I wonder if Europe uses the same amount?

REFERENCES:
Calculating water heater costs for meaningful comparisons
http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclo...ater_cost.html
365 × 0.4105/EF × fuel cost (therm) = estimated annual cost of operation

Review of hot water heaters
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/ho...rs/review.html
365 X 0.4105/EF X Fuel Cost (therm) = estimated annual cost of operation
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy
CJT CJT is offline

Colbyt wrote:
"Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator" wrote in
message . ..

I'm curious how I compare with others in my natural gas usage.

I used 120 therms in the past 30 days (about 4 therms per day).
HOW MANY THERMS DID YOU USE LAST MONTH?

I do realize that there are _many_ factors that affect usage but there is
only one number for your final usage. That's what I'd like to compare.

We use about 100MCF per year for 2600 square feet. We used 22.3 or almost a
1/4 of our yearly usage last month.

That was with a 37.7 average daily temperature. That should be our coldest 4
weeks of the winter. Knock on wood!

To be fair, I was home more during the day than normal so I over-rode the
setback more.

Once upon a time I could convert therms to MCF but that is long since
forgotten.

FWIW, we used 43 MCF last year. About half that was for cooking and hot
water, and the other half for heating (but it's pretty warm here in
Texas).

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy
CJT CJT is offline

Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator wrote:

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:14:46 -0800, Anthony Matonak wrote:

I'm only one person but I average about 5 therms a month.

Wow. 5 therms a month is extremely low, it seems to me.

The US Department of Energy assumes the "average" houshold uses a bit less
than 1/2 a therm a day *just* for the water heater alone!

43,302 kJ/day = 41,045 Btu/day = 0.4105 therm/day

That would be 15 therms a month just for hot water for the average
household in America.

FWIW, we're apparently almost exactly average.

I wonder if Europe uses the same amount?

REFERENCES:
Calculating water heater costs for meaningful comparisons
http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclo...ater_cost.html
365 × 0.4105/EF × fuel cost (therm) = estimated annual cost of operation

Review of hot water heaters
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/ho...rs/review.html
365 X 0.4105/EF X Fuel Cost (therm) = estimated annual cost of operation

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

Jeff wrote:
[...]

Hi,
What is therm? Here in Alberta measurement is by the Giga Joule.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator wrote:
On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:14:46 -0800, Anthony Matonak wrote:
I'm only one person but I average about 5 therms a month.

Wow. 5 therms a month is extremely low, it seems to me.

The US Department of Energy assumes the "average" houshold uses a bit less
than 1/2 a therm a day *just* for the water heater alone!

That is really low. But how much hot water do you use and how well
insulated is the tank? Also, that average is probably for a 4 person
household.

43,302 kJ/day = 41,045 Btu/day = 0.4105 therm/day

OK. That's about 62 gallons of water raised 80F each day (That's 2 1/2
CCF / month), not including losses. An good insulated blanket will cut
tank thermal losses dramatically for much less cost than a tankless.

That would be 15 therms a month just for hot water for the average
household in America. I wonder if Europe uses the same amount?

Nobody wastes energy like the US.

Jeff

REFERENCES:
Calculating water heater costs for meaningful comparisons
http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclo...ater_cost.html
365 × 0.4105/EF × fuel cost (therm) = estimated annual cost of operation

Review of hot water heaters
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/ho...rs/review.html
365 X 0.4105/EF X Fuel Cost (therm) = estimated annual cost of operation

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

For the past billing cycle, I used 5.96 therms per day. Last year I
used 6.81 per day. Average temp was 37 F both years. I have replaced
half of the windows in our mid '30's home. I think this helped. I
will replace the others this year and see if I can lower usage more.

On Feb 16, 3:24*pm, "Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator"
wrote:
I'm curious how I compare with others in my natural gas usage.

I used 120 therms in the past 30 days (about 4 therms per day).
HOW MANY THERMS DID YOU USE LAST MONTH?

I do realize that there are _many_ factors that affect usage but there is
only one number for your final usage. That's what I'd like to compare.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

In article ,
Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator wrote:
I'm curious how I compare with others in my natural gas usage.

I used 120 therms in the past 30 days (about 4 therms per day).
HOW MANY THERMS DID YOU USE LAST MONTH?

Mine isn't billed in therms, but in cubic feet; between the two houses,
21600 in January.

I do realize that there are _many_ factors that affect usage but there is
only one number for your final usage. That's what I'd like to compare.

Since we just went through water usage, let me preempt the next inquiries:

Electricity 1,011 KWH
Sewer $23.04
Garbage pickup $29.00
Tax $15.01

As above, that's for two houses, total of about 1900 square feet, one
occupant.

Gary

--
Gary Heston http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

We live in amazing times, when one person can invent both the Internet
and global warming, then get awarded a "peace prize".
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

Gary Heston wrote:
Mine isn't billed in therms, but in cubic feet; between the two houses,
21600 in January.

Since we just went through water usage, let me preempt the next inquiries:

Electricity 1,011 KWH
Sewer $23.04
Garbage pickup $29.00
Tax $15.01

As above, that's for two houses, total of about 1900 square feet, one
occupant.

Gary

Is your garbage pickup through city workers or a private entity? It
seems a lot of people on this group pay more for garbage pickup than we
do, which is $30.00 every 3 months, unlimited. We are in a suburb. The
nearest city used to get free pickup, but they now have to pay an extra
$10.00/month.

Marsha/Ohio

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

wrote:
I'm curious how I compare with others in my natural gas usage.

I used 120 therms in the past 30 days (about 4 therms per day).
HOW MANY THERMS DID YOU USE LAST MONTH?

My bill states 27 days in the last billing period. 158ccf is the
amount of natural gas that I am being billed for. Is that the same
unit you are referencing?
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

On Feb 16, 8:17*pm, Marsha wrote:
Is your garbage pickup through city workers or a private entity? *It
seems a lot of people on this group pay more for garbage pickup than we
do, which is $30.00 every 3 months, unlimited.

In my city (CT, USA) we have to contract with a private company for
trash removal. There are about a half dozen companies to choose from,
and the price is very close for all of them We pay $24 per month for
weekly trash and recycling pickup.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

On Feb 16, 8:41*pm, "
wrote:

My bill states 27 days in the last billing period. *158ccf is the
amount of natural gas that I am being billed for. *Is that the same
unit you are referencing?

I should probably have mentioned 30degrees F average daily temperature
for this billing period. 2200 Square foot house, everyone home all
day long, this includes heat and hot water.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 23:53:17 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:
What is therm? Here in Alberta measurement is by the Giga Joule.

Hi Tony Hwang in Australia,

The average American houshold (supposedly) uses:
43,302 kJ/day = 41,045 Btu/day = 0.4105 therm/day
to heat their hot water (kindly calculated by Jeff at
62 US gallons of water raised 80F (27C) each day or 2 1/2
CCF/month.

That would be, in Australian ... something like
0.043302 GigaJoule's per day or 15.8 Giga Joules per year (1.32 Giga Joules
per month on average) just to heat the hot water.

Do you Australians use about 1.32 Giga Joules per month for your hot water?

As for the quantity, 62 US gallons a day would be 1,886 gallons per month,
or 7,135 liters a month in Australian.

This is just for your hot-water needs (120 degree F or 49 degree Celcius
setting on your hot-water heater thermostat).

Does that sound reasonable in Australia?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator wrote:
I used 120 therms in the past 30 days (about 4 therms per day).
HOW MANY THERMS DID YOU USE LAST MONTH?

I should note that California alots only 2 therms a day for baseline costs
of about $1.22 per therm (plus 5 cents per therm PPP Surcharge); so
apparently I'm consuming double the natural gas energy California allows
(regardless of home size or number of people) for base rates.

The over-baseline charges are $1.37 per therm plus that same 5 cents per
therm additional charge for poor people (i.e., the California Gas PPP
Surcharge).

Does ANYONE actually use just 2 therms per day for their gas furnace and
hot-water heater for two people living in a small 1,500 sqft house?

I use about 5-7 a month for two people in a small house during the
summer, but that includes a stove and dryer as well. I think about 90 a
month for a cold winter month, and this is in a 1948 house that is
pretty much uninsulated except for the attic floor.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 02:08:39 GMT, Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator
wrote:

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 23:53:17 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:
What is therm? Here in Alberta measurement is by the Giga Joule.

Hi Tony Hwang in Australia,

Oooooops. Canada.

I was thinking Australia when you said Alberta.

Dunno why ... but the math is the same in Albertian that I provided.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

Tony Hwang wrote:

What is therm?

Approximately 105 megajoules. It's a common billing unit in the US.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

" wrote:

My bill states 27 days in the last billing period. 158ccf is the
amount of natural gas that I am being billed for. Is that the same
unit you are referencing?

Roughly, yes. Your local utility can adjust the ratio though.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy
Pat Pat is offline

wrote:
I'm curious how I compare with others in my natural gas usage.

I used 120 therms in the past 30 days (about 4 therms per day).
HOW MANY THERMS DID YOU USE LAST MONTH?

I do realize that there are _many_ factors that affect usage but there is
only one number for your final usage. That's what I'd like to compare.

FWIW, out gas bill comes with averages so you can compare. For
November, their average was just under 30 ccf with an average temp of
44 F
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

In article , Marsha wrote:
Gary Heston wrote:

[ ... ]
Since we just went through water usage, let me preempt the next inquiries:

[ ... ]
Garbage pickup $29.00

[ ... ]

As above, that's for two houses, total of about 1900 square feet, one
occupant.

Is your garbage pickup through city workers or a private entity? It
seems a lot of people on this group pay more for garbage pickup than we
do, which is $30.00 every 3 months, unlimited. We are in a suburb. The
nearest city used to get free pickup, but they now have to pay an extra
$10.00/month.

My pickup is by the city; with two houses, I pay two fees for one person.
It's a flat rate per address, and I generate so little that I put out
perhaps one can a month. Someone who puts out one every month pays the
same as I do. No way around it, though.

Gary

--
Gary Heston http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

We live in amazing times, when one person can invent both the Internet
and global warming, then get awarded a "peace prize".
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

2,200 sf house in central California. Two people. Gas water heater,
electric range and clothes dryer. Only a few days in the low thirities.
Mostly high thirities to low forties. Bills ending middle of the month.
November .6 therms per day, December 2.0, January 3.2, February 3.1.
Average monthly usage for 2007 was 1.04 therms per day.

Don in Tracy, Calif.

"Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator" wrote in
message . ..
I'm curious how I compare with others in my natural gas usage.

I used 120 therms in the past 30 days (about 4 therms per day).
HOW MANY THERMS DID YOU USE LAST MONTH?

I do realize that there are _many_ factors that affect usage but there is
only one number for your final usage. That's what I'd like to compare.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

Tony Hwang wrote:
Jeff wrote:
[...]

By definition it is 100,000 BTU's. Blame the British and their Thermal
Units!

Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy
jim jim is offline

On Feb 17, 12:11*am, "RVer Don" wrote:
2,200 sf house in central California. *Two people. *Gas water heater,
electric range and clothes dryer. *Only a few days in the low thirities.
Mostly high thirities to low forties. *Bills ending middle of the month.
November .6 therms per day, December 2.0, January 3.2, February 3.1.
Average monthly usage for 2007 was 1.04 therms per day.

Don in Tracy, Calif.

"Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator" wrote in
gy.net...

I'm curious how I compare with others in my natural gas usage.

I used 120 therms in the past 30 days (about 4 therms per day).
HOW MANY THERMS DID YOU USE LAST MONTH?

I do realize that there are _many_ factors that affect usage but there is
only one number for your final usage. That's what I'd like to compare.- Hide quoted text -

Only in Calforny what the hell is a therm come from Canada and never
heard such a term take it it is to rate you energy use why not just
double the rates and wear sweaters. We are at -29 celius right now and
our gas meters are spinning away to the gas companies delight.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator wrote:
I'm curious how I compare with others in my natural gas usage.

I used 120 therms in the past 30 days (about 4 therms per day).
HOW MANY THERMS DID YOU USE LAST MONTH?

I do realize that there are _many_ factors that affect usage but there is
only one number for your final usage. That's what I'd like to compare.

I used 64 therms (2.13 per day) during my last billing cycle. This
should be about the peak usage for the year based upon past history. The
house is a 2400sf 1960s brick rancher with not nearly enough insulation
where gas is used solely for central heating.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

jim wrote:
[...]

To each their own. I suppose we'll keep therms and you can keep Flesh
Freeze Times.

Jeff

take it it is to rate you energy use why not just
double the rates and wear sweaters. We are at -29 celius right now and
our gas meters are spinning away to the gas companies delight.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator wrote:

Does ANYONE actually use just 2 therms per day for their gas furnace and
hot-water heater for two people living in a small 1,500 sqft house?

Possibly in south FL.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator wrote:

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:14:46 -0800, Anthony Matonak wrote:

I'm only one person but I average about 5 therms a month.

Wow. 5 therms a month is extremely low, it seems to me.

The US Department of Energy assumes the "average" houshold uses a bit less
than 1/2 a therm a day *just* for the water heater alone!

43,302 kJ/day = 41,045 Btu/day = 0.4105 therm/day

That would be 15 therms a month just for hot water for the average
household in America. I wonder if Europe uses the same amount?

We used 30 therms in both July / Aug (hot water & furnace pilot) - US.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy
CJT CJT is offline

Rick Blaine wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:

What is therm?

Approximately 105 megajoules. It's a common billing unit in the US.

Do they ever actually meter therms, or measure ccf and convert?
It seems to me to actually measure the therms, they'd need to
continuously monitor the heating value of the gas being delivered,
and that seems quite difficult compared with just measuring cf.
Of course, assuming they've stripped the gas down to nearly pure
methane, the conversion is easy, but natural gas can vary according
to ethane and higher content.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

CJT wrote:

Do they ever actually meter therms, or measure ccf and convert?
It seems to me to actually measure the therms, they'd need to
continuously monitor the heating value of the gas being delivered,
and that seems quite difficult compared with just measuring cf.
Of course, assuming they've stripped the gas down to nearly pure
methane, the conversion is easy, but natural gas can vary according
to ethane and higher content.

They do here... Meter reading is by CCF, then a conversion factor applied to get
therm, multiplied by the rate per therm. The factor changes slightly every
month...
Posted to alt.home.repair

For lo, Donna Ohl hath proclaimed:

I'm curious how I compare with others in my natural gas usage.
I used 120 therms in the past 30 days (about 4 therms per day).
HOW MANY THERMS DID YOU USE LAST MONTH?
I do realize that there are _many_ factors that affect usage but there is
only one number for your final usage. That's what I'd like to compare.

I am billed in dekatherms, and assuming 10 therms to the
dekatherm, my last bill (over 32 days) was for 5.96 Dth, therefore
59.6 therms, or 1.86 therms per day.

Background: small 1940s home in Oklahoma, mostly average
temperatures for the month, gas furnace and water heater.

Incidentally, the meter reads in Mcf; a BTU factor is applied
based on the quality of the gas received. The actual meter
reading was 5.8 Mcf.

During the summer readings have been in the 2-Dth range per month,
about 0.7 therms per day; however, this past October I replaced my
22-year-old water heater with a new tank, which should
theoretically use a bit less gas than its predecessor.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

In article , Jeff writes:
Tony Hwang wrote:
What is therm? Here in Alberta measurement is by the Giga Joule.

At last! Someone using a rational energy unit.

By definition it is 100,000 BTU's. Blame the British and their Thermal
Units!

In fact, the BTU is one of the best of the British (actually now just
American) units. It's 1055 Joules, but as a rule of thumb you can think
of it as a kJ.

But having different units for every single energy source is just nuts.

Who else uses the therm, roughly .1 GJ, but the U.S. Gas industry?

www.oilnergy.com lists natural gas prices in MMBtu, where MM=1000*1000
or one million. That's pretty nice, just about the same thing as a GJ,
so we and the Canucks can actually think we are talking the same language.

[And MMBtu ~= MCF, so we have a three-way match]

--
George Cornelius cornelius ( A T ) eisner.decus.org

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

George Cornelius wrote:
In article , Jeff writes:
Tony Hwang wrote:
What is therm? Here in Alberta measurement is by the Giga Joule.

At last! Someone using a rational energy unit.

By definition it is 100,000 BTU's. Blame the British and their Thermal
Units!

In fact, the BTU is one of the best of the British (actually now just
American) units.

It's fairly useful for energy calculations when everything else is in
SAE, or whatever you call not metric. Insulation (in the US) is rated in
BTUs, square feet and degrees F. The amount of specific heat stored is 1
BTU per degree F per pound of water. Now if you mix in any metric, it
all becomes completely unwieldly. Either all metric or none at all makes
the most sense. I think we've had some rockets that smacked Mars because
of that.

Jeff

It's 1055 Joules, but as a rule of thumb you can think
of it as a kJ.

But having different units for every single energy source is just nuts.

Who else uses the therm, roughly .1 GJ, but the U.S. Gas industry?

www.oilnergy.com lists natural gas prices in MMBtu, where MM=1000*1000
or one million. That's pretty nice, just about the same thing as a GJ,
so we and the Canucks can actually think we are talking the same language.

[And MMBtu ~= MCF, so we have a three-way match]

--
George Cornelius cornelius ( A T ) eisner.decus.org

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 13:24:44 -0700, "Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer
Coordinator" wrote:

I'm curious how I compare with others in my natural gas usage.

I used 120 therms in the past 30 days (about 4 therms per day).
HOW MANY THERMS DID YOU USE LAST MONTH?

I do realize that there are _many_ factors that affect usage but there is
only one number for your final usage. That's what I'd like to compare.

Jan use: 220 therms (old masonry house, upstate NY)
Annual: 1450

In the winter, we pretty consistently run about 0.2 therms per
degree-day.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

Anthony Matonak wrote:
Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator wrote:
I used 120 therms in the past 30 days (about 4 therms per day).
HOW MANY THERMS DID YOU USE LAST MONTH?

Does ANYONE actually use just 2 therms per day for their gas furnace and
hot-water heater for two people living in a small 1,500 sqft house?

I'm only one person but I average about 5 therms a month.
In the winter it's slightly more.

Anthony

Last year we used a total of 71.5 MCF (734 therms at 10.27 therm/MCF).
That's an average of 61.2 therms/month. Highest monthly usage was 17.4
MCF (178.7 therms) for 1/23/2007~2/22/2007 for which the average
temperature was 22 deg. F. Most recent monthly usage (33 days:
12/21/2007~1/24/2008) was 13.3 MCF (136.6 therms) with an average
temperature of 32 deg. F. In the summer months the usage was 1.2 MCF
(12.3 therms) per month.

This is a 1750 sq. foot, 53 year old brick and stone ranch style house
with fairly new double pane windows. We are in Pittsburgh, PA. Gas is
used for heating (forced air), hot water, and cooking, for two people.
We keep the thermostat at 58 degrees at night and 68 degrees in the
daytime in the winter.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.energy

Wikipedia isn't bad on the use of "therms":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_heater

For measurement units, it says:
Natural gas in the U.S. is measured in CCF (100 cubic feet), which is
converted to a standardized heat content unit called the therm, equal to
100,000 British thermal units. A BTU is the energy required to raise one
pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit. A U.S. gallon of water weighs 8.3
pounds. So, to raise a 40-gallon tank of 55 °F water up to 105 °F would
require 40 x 8.3 x (105 ˆ’ 55) / 100,000 BTU, or approximately 0.17 CCF, at
100% efficiency. A 40,000 BTU (per hour) heater would take 25 minutes to do
this, at 100% efficiency. At $1 per therm, the cost of the gas would be
about 17 cents.

As for usage ... it goes on to say:
Water enters residences in the US at about 10 °C (50 °F) (varies with
latitude and season). Adults generally prefer shower temperatures of 40€“49
°C (105€“120 °F), requiring the water temperature to be raised about 30 °C
(55 °F) or more, if the hot water is later mixed with cold water. The
Uniform Plumbing Code reference shower flow rate is 2.5 gpm (gallons per
minute); sink and dishwasher usages range from 1€“3 gpm.