Posted to misc.consumers, alt.home.repair

Default Soundproofing for rooms - material

I'm trying to dull the tapping noise from the pipes in my ceiling.
What materials could I use to deaden the noise? I tried cork tiles
but that had no effect whatsoever on the noise.

I've read that the idea is to use many layers of different materials.
Posted to misc.consumers, alt.home.repair

Have you considered fixing the problem, rather than patching the
symptom?

I spoke with my landlord and he says there's nothing we can do about
the pipes noise. I could never understand why the noise got so much
worse for no apparent reason.
Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

Richard Fangnail wrote:

I'm trying to dull the tapping noise from the pipes in my ceiling.

Makes more sense to fix the tapping.

What materials could I use to deaden the noise?

You need something with mass and thats a problem with a ceiling.

I tried cork tiles but that had no effect whatsoever on the noise.

Because they have bugger all mass.

I've read that the idea is to use many layers of different materials.

Thats wrong. You wont get any better result with multiple
layers of paper, plastic and cloth in that particular situation.

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

"Richard Fangnail" wrote in message
Have you considered fixing the problem, rather than patching the
symptom?

I spoke with my landlord and he says there's nothing we can do about
the pipes noise. I could never understand why the noise got so much
worse for no apparent reason.

If (and it's a big IF) the pipe noise is due to the need for a pressure
regulator, you MIGHT find it's cheaper to have a plumber install one,
compared to your soundproofing idea. Did you landlord have a plumber take a
look at the situation? Is there a regulator in place? They generally look
like this one:

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...gulator_02.jpg

If you insist on pursuing the soundproofing idea, you may as well do it
right, with products like this:
http://www.soundisolationcompany.com...tion-Clips.php

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

Richard Fangnail wrote:

Have you considered fixing the problem, rather than patching the symptom?

I spoke with my landlord and he says there's nothing we can do about the pipes noise.

He's lying or confused.

I could never understand why the noise got so much worse for no apparent reason.

Because what used to slide easily doesnt anymore.

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

"Richard Fangnail" wrote in message
Have you considered fixing the problem, rather than patching the
symptom?

I spoke with my landlord and he says there's nothing we can do about
the pipes noise. I could never understand why the noise got so much
worse for no apparent reason.

He said it can't be fixed but what he didn't say is "because it would cost
money to fix".

Posted to misc.consumers, alt.home.repair

In my apt the tapping noise can come from my ceiling or one of the
walls. When the tapping got bad a few weeks ago, it got bad in both
places at once. Why would that happen, if the problem is due to the
pipes rubbing against the holders?

Sometimes the noise is in one of the two places and sometimes it's in
both.

Someone mentioned a pressure regulator. What is that exactly, and how
might it cause the tapping problem?

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

"Richard Fangnail" wrote in message
In my apt the tapping noise can come from my ceiling or one of the
walls. When the tapping got bad a few weeks ago, it got bad in both
places at once. Why would that happen, if the problem is due to the
pipes rubbing against the holders?

Sometimes the noise is in one of the two places and sometimes it's in
both.

Someone mentioned a pressure regulator. What is that exactly, and how
might it cause the tapping problem?

A regulator wouldn't cause noise. It's a thing that decreases the water
pressure coming in from the supply pipes, bringing it down to a level which
some believe is safer for appliances. I can also eliminate noisy pipes
sometimes.

The noise might be intermittent because the water pressure for the whole
system can vary depending on time of day and how many others are using water
in the building.

Ask everyone you know if they have a plumber they like. Call one of the
plumbers. Some will stop by for free to check out the situation. Be clear
with him on the phone, explaining that it's not your building, and the only
work you're allowed to do might be a regulator or some other thing that
doesn't involve ripping our walls & ceilings. And of course, be sure your
landlord will actually let you pay for the installation of a regulator
before you waste the plumber's time with a visit that will never make him
any money.

A regulator for my house costs around $60 at a plumbing supply place. I was
quoted $50 to install it. Nobody but the plumber can tell you the labor rate
for your situation, or if your building might need a regulator whose price
is different from mine.

On Jan 1, 6:03 pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
Richard Fangnail wrote:
In my apt the tapping noise can come from my ceiling or one of the
walls. When the tapping got bad a few weeks ago, it got bad in both
places at once. Why would that happen, if the problem is due to the
pipes rubbing against the holders?

Presumably the same corrosion etc is affecting both.

What corrosion are you talking about?

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

Richard Fangnail wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Richard Fangnail wrote

In my apt the tapping noise can come from my ceiling or one of the
walls. When the tapping got bad a few weeks ago, it got bad in both
places at once. Why would that happen, if the problem is due to the
pipes rubbing against the holders?

Presumably the same corrosion etc is affecting both.

What corrosion are you talking about?

Between the pipe and what is used to attach it to the structure.

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Richard Fangnail wrote:
In my apt the tapping noise can come from my ceiling or one of the
walls. When the tapping got bad a few weeks ago, it got bad in both
places at once. Why would that happen, if the problem is due to the
pipes rubbing against the holders?

Sometimes the noise is in one of the two places and sometimes it's in
both.

A slight tapping noise is not imo likely to be rubbing per se but more
likely thermal contraction/expansion--very similar to the occasional
pop/creak heard in a house's siding when warms up in sun on a cold day.

I had one house w/ a very long horizontal drain run from a sink -- in
it, there was a sound that could be described as a tap that was actually
a drip internally until that drain line finally finished emptying.

Someone mentioned a pressure regulator. What is that exactly, and how
might it cause the tapping problem?

It would be a pressure-reducing valve and is a spring-loaded valve that
could be installed to reduce house pressure from the higher-pressure
distribution system. Normally, if these get noisy they make a more
distinct sound than I would describe as a tap, but I suppose if it were
buried in a wall or a ceiling somewhere it could be muffled.

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

dpb wrote
Richard Fangnail wrote

In my apt the tapping noise can come from my ceiling or one of the walls. When the tapping got bad a few weeks ago,
it got bad in both places at once. Why would that happen, if the problem is due to the pipes rubbing against the
holders?

Sometimes the noise is in one of the two places and sometimes it's in both.

A slight tapping noise is not imo likely to be rubbing per se but more
likely thermal contraction/expansion--very similar to the occasional
pop/creak heard in a house's siding when warms up in sun on a cold day.

Thats rubbing.

I had one house w/ a very long horizontal drain run from a sink --
in it, there was a sound that could be described as a tap that was
actually a drip internally until that drain line finally finished emptying.

Thats unlikely to be his problem.

Someone mentioned a pressure regulator. What is that exactly, and how might it cause the tapping problem?

It would be a pressure-reducing valve and is a spring-loaded valve that could be installed to reduce house pressure
from the
higher-pressure distribution system. Normally, if these get noisy
they make a more distinct sound than I would describe as a tap, but I
suppose if it were buried in a wall or a ceiling somewhere it could be muffled.

But wouldnt produce that one of two places effect.

Posted to misc.consumers, alt.home.repair

On Jan 2, 11:09 am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
Richard Fangnail wrote

Rod Speed wrote
Richard Fangnail wrote
In my apt the tapping noise can come from my ceiling or one of the
walls. When the tapping got bad a few weeks ago, it got bad in both
places at once. Why would that happen, if the problem is due to the
pipes rubbing against the holders?
Presumably the same corrosion etc is affecting both.

What corrosion are you talking about?

Between the pipe and what is used to attach it to the structure.

What type of corrosion would it be? Do you mean corrosion produces
some kind of material or are there gaps where there shouldn't be any?
Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

"Richard Fangnail" wrote in message
On Jan 2, 11:09 am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
Richard Fangnail wrote

Rod Speed wrote
Richard Fangnail wrote
In my apt the tapping noise can come from my ceiling or one of the
walls. When the tapping got bad a few weeks ago, it got bad in both
places at once. Why would that happen, if the problem is due to the
pipes rubbing against the holders?
Presumably the same corrosion etc is affecting both.
What corrosion are you talking about?

Between the pipe and what is used to attach it to the structure.

What type of corrosion would it be? Do you mean corrosion produces
some kind of material or are there gaps where there shouldn't be any?

Pipes are held in place by U-shaped hangers nailed to the beams. Modern ones
may be plastic, but older ones are metal. Metal corrodes. The pipe might be
moving back & forth slightly and making noise as it rubs against the
hanger(s).

This doesn't matter, though, because it's not your building, so you can't
open up the walls or ceilings to fix the problem. Have you checked yet to
see if there's a pressure regulator? I supplied you with a picture of one so
you can identify the thing.

Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

Richard Fangnail wrote:
On Jan 2, 11:09 am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
Richard Fangnail wrote

Rod Speed wrote
Richard Fangnail wrote
In my apt the tapping noise can come from my ceiling or one of the
walls. When the tapping got bad a few weeks ago, it got bad in
both places at once. Why would that happen, if the problem is
due to the pipes rubbing against the holders?
Presumably the same corrosion etc is affecting both.
What corrosion are you talking about?

Between the pipe and what is used to attach it to the structure.

What type of corrosion would it be?

Metal pipes always corrode a bit over time unless they are gold or platinum etc.

Do you mean corrosion produces some kind of material

Yep.

or are there gaps where there shouldn't be any?

Nope.

The corrosion stops the pipe sliding in the holder silently like it used to when the pipe
changes temperature when the water in it change temp, usually the hot water pipe.

Posted to misc.consumers, alt.home.repair

On Dec 31 2007, 11:56 am, Richard Fangnail
wrote:
I'm trying to dull the tapping noise from the pipes in my ceiling.
What materials could I use to deaden the noise? I tried cork tiles
but that had no effect whatsoever on the noise.

I've read that the idea is to use many layers of different materials.

This is a reach, but a water hammer can help dampen the inertia in the
system if that's what you're hearing. This would be more of a banging
sound that is made when someone turns off ("slams off") a valve. It's
a job installing however.

Wet rooms Keith Dunbar UK diy 21 September 21st 07 12:38 PM
getting satellite in other rooms [email protected] UK diy 5 January 13th 06 12:59 PM
Feeding tv to 7 rooms ? Jeff UK diy 10 September 26th 05 03:12 PM
Best soundproofing material for under floorboards Keith Halewood UK diy 6 February 9th 05 03:13 PM
Rooms to Go nightmare Chris Moore Home Ownership 6 October 30th 04 05:28 AM