Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Chris Moore

Default Rooms to Go nightmare

Location Dallas Texas:

I look in my Sunday paper and notice a leather sofa and loveseat that
appeals to me from Rooms to Go. The add says that next day delivery is
possible so I go to the local store and place an order, pay cash (big
mistake) and the gal says that earliest they can deliver is the 10th
and while I think that is almost 3 weeks (Sept is when I ordered
it)away I agree. It's later when I'm home that I look at the contract
and it says Nov 10 or almost 2 months away. Not impressed and so I
begin to look elsewhere for another set. I don't have a lot of time to
search for this but a week later I find another set. I then go back to
the local Rooms to Go store and think it will be an easy matter to
cancel my order. I'm told that I had 48 hours to cancel my order and
that because I didn't they will only give me back 80% of my money and
that will take 3 weeks to come to me because I paid cash. Had I paid
using a credit card I would have received my 80% back right away. The
other 20% is a re-stocking fee for something that they never had in
stock in the first place!
Caveat Emptor when dealing with Rooms to Go.

On 30 Sep 2004 13:34:11 -0700, someone wrote:

....the gal says that earliest they can deliver is the 10th
and while I think that is almost 3 weeks (Sept is when I ordered
it)away I agree. It's later when I'm home that I look at the contract
and it says Nov 10 or almost 2 months away....
cut...... I'm told that I had 48 hours to cancel my order and
that because I didn't they will only give me back 80% of my money
cut

Caveat Emptor when dealing with Rooms to Go.

Well, yeah, when dealing with ANY company (esp. furniture!).

Your mistake! (Understandable though.)

But really, why not let it ride, you thought it would be almost 3
weeks but misunderstood and it is almost 7 weeks, what's the big deal,
not like you paid thinking it was going to be tomorrow. (Though you
might have gone down there initially, hoping it would be.)

Doesn't really sound like a "nightmare" to me, just an error on your
part.

-v.
Jim

On 30 Sep 2004 13:34:11 -0700, (Chris Moore)
wrote:

[...]

ALways read the fine print on your sales order, I'll bet the recission
period was all spelle dout right on the thing, in fact, you might even
have signed part of it saying you read and agreed to it.

Now that being said, I have to take their side a bit mo If the
sofa was "built to order" somewhere, someplace, the thing may well
have been in the preocess of being built, or work orders had been
written and resources commited. Cancelling that far along might
genuinely have cost them money to third party suppliers or their labor
force or what have you.

Now that being said, they did muck around way past a reasonable limit
and I think you should try and talk to their corporate level.
Contracts work two ways, you paid in good faith for a specified
delivery date and they blew it big time, that counts, or should count,
for something.

Good luck, trust people but read, read read anything you sign.

Jim P.