Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

Default Soundproofing for rooms - material

"Richard Fangnail" wrote in message
On Jan 2, 11:09 am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
Richard Fangnail wrote

Rod Speed wrote
Richard Fangnail wrote
In my apt the tapping noise can come from my ceiling or one of the
walls. When the tapping got bad a few weeks ago, it got bad in both
places at once. Why would that happen, if the problem is due to the
pipes rubbing against the holders?
Presumably the same corrosion etc is affecting both.
What corrosion are you talking about?

Between the pipe and what is used to attach it to the structure.

What type of corrosion would it be? Do you mean corrosion produces
some kind of material or are there gaps where there shouldn't be any?

Pipes are held in place by U-shaped hangers nailed to the beams. Modern ones
may be plastic, but older ones are metal. Metal corrodes. The pipe might be
moving back & forth slightly and making noise as it rubs against the
hanger(s).

This doesn't matter, though, because it's not your building, so you can't
open up the walls or ceilings to fix the problem. Have you checked yet to
see if there's a pressure regulator? I supplied you with a picture of one so
you can identify the thing.