Posted to misc.consumers,alt.home.repair

Default Soundproofing for rooms - material

"Richard Fangnail" wrote in message
In my apt the tapping noise can come from my ceiling or one of the
walls. When the tapping got bad a few weeks ago, it got bad in both
places at once. Why would that happen, if the problem is due to the
pipes rubbing against the holders?

Sometimes the noise is in one of the two places and sometimes it's in
both.

Someone mentioned a pressure regulator. What is that exactly, and how
might it cause the tapping problem?

A regulator wouldn't cause noise. It's a thing that decreases the water
pressure coming in from the supply pipes, bringing it down to a level which
some believe is safer for appliances. I can also eliminate noisy pipes
sometimes.

The noise might be intermittent because the water pressure for the whole
system can vary depending on time of day and how many others are using water
in the building.

Ask everyone you know if they have a plumber they like. Call one of the
plumbers. Some will stop by for free to check out the situation. Be clear
with him on the phone, explaining that it's not your building, and the only
work you're allowed to do might be a regulator or some other thing that
doesn't involve ripping our walls & ceilings. And of course, be sure your
landlord will actually let you pay for the installation of a regulator
before you waste the plumber's time with a visit that will never make him
any money.

A regulator for my house costs around $60 at a plumbing supply place. I was
quoted $50 to install it. Nobody but the plumber can tell you the labor rate
for your situation, or if your building might need a regulator whose price
is different from mine.