Posted to alt.home.repair

Default $1800 for a heat pump compressor? Seriously?

The compressor in my 13-year old Lenox heat pump died yesterday
through an internal short. The repair guy told me that I could expect
to pay from $1700 to $1800 for a new one.

While I'm no HVAC guy, I do understand basic mechanics, and I know
that there is nothing either technologically or mechanically wondrous
about compressors. I can't get my head around why this part should
cost more than a replacement car engine or a nice riding lawn mower.

I had a good read on the technician. He was very candid and frank in
our discussion and he took the time to show me what his
troubleshooting steps were. He helped me explore possible
alternatives to save a buck, but he could not tell me why a new
compressor cost so much.

Am I being severely up-charged by the reseller, or is this the going
rate. If this is the going rate, then could anyone tell me why
they're so expensive? If it helps, the repair guy said my unit was a
4-tonner. I don't really know what that means, but I assume it
indicates the general size.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trbo20 wrote:
The compressor in my 13-year old Lenox heat pump died yesterday
through an internal short. The repair guy told me that I could expect
to pay from $1700 to $1800 for a new one.

While I'm no HVAC guy, I do understand basic mechanics, and I know
that there is nothing either technologically or mechanically wondrous
about compressors. I can't get my head around why this part should
cost more than a replacement car engine or a nice riding lawn mower.

Sounds like you haven't priced things in a long time.

I had a good read on the technician. He was very candid and frank in
our discussion and he took the time to show me what his
troubleshooting steps were. He helped me explore possible
alternatives to save a buck, but he could not tell me why a new
compressor cost so much.

Am I being severely up-charged by the reseller, or is this the going
rate. If this is the going rate, then could anyone tell me why
they're so expensive? If it helps, the repair guy said my unit was a
4-tonner. I don't really know what that means, but I assume it
indicates the general size.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 9:57 am, George wrote:
trbo20 wrote:
The compressor in my 13-year old Lenox heat pump died yesterday
through an internal short. The repair guy told me that I could expect
to pay from $1700 to $1800 for a new one.

While I'm no HVAC guy, I do understand basic mechanics, and I know
that there is nothing either technologically or mechanically wondrous
about compressors. I can't get my head around why this part should
cost more than a replacement car engine or a nice riding lawn mower.

Sounds like you haven't priced things in a long time.

How so? I purchased a riding lawn mower this spring for $1700, and
replaced my Honda Civic engine with a rebuilt one for $1600.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

trbo20 wrote:
On Nov 20, 9:57 am, George wrote:
trbo20 wrote:
The compressor in my 13-year old Lenox heat pump died yesterday
through an internal short. The repair guy told me that I could expect
to pay from $1700 to $1800 for a new one.
While I'm no HVAC guy, I do understand basic mechanics, and I know
that there is nothing either technologically or mechanically wondrous
about compressors. I can't get my head around why this part should
cost more than a replacement car engine or a nice riding lawn mower.

Sounds like you haven't priced things in a long time.

How so? I purchased a riding lawn mower this spring for $1700, and
replaced my Honda Civic engine with a rebuilt one for $1600.

At age 13, unless the replacement is higher efficiency, you're probably
better off replacing the whole unit.

I would guess the cost is at least partially owing to the age and the
changes in that time. I presume the new will also include switchover to
new refrigerant and if so, the sizing difference is part of the equation
as well. 4T is a good-sized unit as well...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would think you could buy a whole new outdoor unit for that amount.

"trbo20" wrote in message
The compressor in my 13-year old Lenox heat pump died yesterday
through an internal short. The repair guy told me that I could expect
to pay from $1700 to $1800 for a new one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"trbo20" wrote in message
The compressor in my 13-year old Lenox heat pump died yesterday
through an internal short. The repair guy told me that I could expect
to pay from $1700 to $1800 for a new one.

Wow. $1800? I paid $2400

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

trbo20 wrote:

The compressor in my 13-year old Lenox heat pump died yesterday
through an internal short. The repair guy told me that I could expect
to pay from $1700 to $1800 for a new one.

Installed, or is that just the parts?

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 9:03 pm, CJT wrote:
trbo20 wrote:
[...]

minimize spam. Our true address is of the form .- Hide quoted text -

Installed
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 06:48:54 -0800, trbo20 wrote:

[...]

Consider a better furnace.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I can't get my head around why this part should cost more than a replacement car engine or a nice riding lawn mower.

A Jasper rebuilt engine for my car cost about $4000 installed, and
that was about 6 years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

trbo20 wrote:
On Nov 20, 9:03 pm, CJT wrote:

trbo20 wrote:

[...]

Doesn't seem out of line to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 06:48:54 -0800 (PST), trbo20 wrote:

Am I being severely up-charged by the reseller, or is this the going
rate. If this is the going rate, then could anyone tell me why
they're so expensive? If it helps, the repair guy said my unit was a
4-tonner. I don't really know what that means, but I assume it
indicates the general size.

equivelent in tons of ice.
I've only seen it previously used as a rating for AC, not heating.

Posted to alt.home.repair

government doesnt regulate who puts a car engine in, they do
regulate who installs ac units .. gov has turned the hvac industry into
pompus overpaid industry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The compressor in my 13-year old Lenox heat pump died yesterday
through an internal short. The repair guy told me that I could expect
to pay from $1700 to $1800 for a new one.

And now the new one is chugging away and you're not standing there shivering
in the cold. What can this mean?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
government doesnt regulate who puts a car engine in, they do
regulate who installs ac units .. gov has turned the hvac industry into
pompus overpaid industry.

And the biggest user AND dumper of HFCs is .......................

you guessed it. The Gov't.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 21, 3:37 pm, CJT wrote:
trbo20 wrote:
On Nov 20, 9:03 pm, CJT wrote:

trbo20 wrote:

[...]

Yeah, I've gotten that feedback from a lot of people now. Seems like
my expectations were pretty off.
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

trbo20 wrote:

On Nov 21, 3:37 pm, CJT wrote:

trbo20 wrote:

On Nov 20, 9:03 pm, CJT wrote:

trbo20 wrote:

[...]

Alas ... and such prices make updates difficult to justify based on
energy savings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trbo20 wrote:
Yeah, I've gotten that feedback from a lot of people now. Seems like
my expectations were pretty off.

I look forward to someone telling *why* they're so expensive. If anyone
has so far, I missed it.

--
Angry American flags attack Hillary Clinton!
Posted to alt.home.repair

no, cold air falls, so you need the 4 ton block of ice in the attic.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
So, a four ton unit is equivilant to four tons of ice? Would I put that
ice
in the cellar, and melt it slowly over the summer?

I know the answer, but I'm not sure you do.

--

Christopher A. Young;
.

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
they're so expensive? If it helps, the repair guy said my unit was a
4-tonner. I don't really know what that means, but I assume it
indicates the general size.

equivelent in tons of ice.
I've only seen it previously used as a rating for AC, not heating.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
government doesnt regulate who puts a car engine in, they do
regulate who installs ac units .. gov has turned the hvac industry into
pompus overpaid industry.

http://www.minibie.com/america/malone.htm

Nonsense, service rates for HVAC and automotive are comparable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
no, cold air falls, so you need the 4 ton block of ice in the attic.

Thats what fans are for...
Posted to alt.home.repair

trbo20 wrote:
[...]

Here's a different tactic:

Call a wholesaler or nationwide retailer. Here's one:

Partsguy.com Inc.
121 S. Spruce St., Traverse City MI 49684
Toll Free (800) 597-4575 - Voice (231) 946-7644 - Fax (231) 946-9332

Ask 'em if they have a replacement for your model.

Assume they do, and you can get it for, say, $500. ( I have no real idea
what these things cost).

You have now reduced the problem to one of swapping out the part.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 09:35:05 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

So, a four ton unit is equivilant to four tons of ice? Would I put that ice
in the cellar, and melt it slowly over the summer?

I know the answer, but I'm not sure you do.

gotta love those weird measurements.

Allen Bradley, a maker of industrial computer control systems, was measuring
memory in 'feet' well into the 90's. The unit 'feet' was a reference to the
equivelent length of paper tape for program storage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 09:35:05 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

So, a four ton unit is equivilant to four tons of ice? Would I put that ice
in the cellar, and melt it slowly over the summer?

I know the answer, but I'm not sure you do.

It's a 24 hours period, you incredible asshole.

From wikipedia, since you seem to need it spelled out for you:
Air conditioner equipment power in the U.S. is often described in terms of "tons
of refrigeration". A "ton of refrigeration" is defined as the cooling power of
one short ton (2000 pounds or 907 kilograms) of ice melting in a 24-hour period.
This is equal to 12,000 BTU per hour, or 3517 watts
(http://physics.nist.gov/Pubs/SP811/appenB9.html). Residential "central air"
systems are usually from 1 to 5 tons (3 to 20 kW) in capacity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"clifto" wrote

I look forward to someone telling *why* they're so expensive. If anyone
has so far, I missed it.

Have you been to the store in the last year? EVERYTHING is getting
expensive.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:
"clifto" wrote

I look forward to someone telling *why* they're so expensive. If anyone
has so far, I missed it.

Have you been to the store in the last year? EVERYTHING is getting
expensive.

Steve

For sure, and a lot of people may not realize why. Big box thinking
which resulted in gutting industry has enabled the next dominant world
power. China has been buying commodities (metals, oil, cement etc) like
mad and we need to compete with them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 13:30:20 -0500, George wrote:

SteveB wrote:
"clifto" wrote

I look forward to someone telling *why* they're so expensive. If anyone
has so far, I missed it.

Have you been to the store in the last year? EVERYTHING is getting
expensive.

Steve

For sure, and a lot of people may not realize why. Big box thinking
which resulted in gutting industry has enabled the next dominant world
power. China has been buying commodities (metals, oil, cement etc) like
mad and we need to compete with them.

It won't happen as long as we have environmental laws, they don't, and
we reward american companies who operate overseas to bypass the costs
of our environmental laws.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 13:30:20 -0500, George wrote:

SteveB wrote:
"clifto" wrote

I look forward to someone telling *why* they're so expensive. If anyone
has so far, I missed it.

Have you been to the store in the last year? EVERYTHING is getting
expensive.

Steve

For sure, and a lot of people may not realize why. Big box thinking
which resulted in gutting industry has enabled the next dominant world
power. China has been buying commodities (metals, oil, cement etc) like
mad and we need to compete with them.

It won't happen as long as we have environmental laws, they don't, and
we reward american companies who operate overseas to bypass the costs
of our environmental laws.

So, realistically, it won't happen. You're an adult. Cope.

This is not Utopia, and you're not Pollyanna. The real world is ugly, and
it's about to become unbearable.

We are standing on the brink of the precipice we have created.

For spiritual types, there is the comfort of the afterlife. For the deep
thinking realists, we're just a social experiment run amok.

Enjoy.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:
On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 13:30:20 -0500, George wrote:

SteveB wrote:
"clifto" wrote

I look forward to someone telling *why* they're so expensive. If anyone
has so far, I missed it.
Have you been to the store in the last year? EVERYTHING is getting
expensive.

Steve

For sure, and a lot of people may not realize why. Big box thinking
which resulted in gutting industry has enabled the next dominant world
power. China has been buying commodities (metals, oil, cement etc) like
mad and we need to compete with them.

It won't happen as long as we have environmental laws, they don't, and
we reward american companies who operate overseas to bypass the costs
of our environmental laws.

I didn't mean the overused and ridiculous "we need to compete with them
on price...". My comment regards that we need to compete with them on
the world market for commodities.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message
. ..
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 13:30:20 -0500, George wrote:

SteveB wrote:
"clifto" wrote

[...]

That's good. But how do you compete with dishonest people who don't even
recognize common laws trademarks, copyrights, intellectual property or
ASCAP?

Answer: You don't.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

SteveB wrote:
"clifto" wrote

I look forward to someone telling *why* they're so expensive. If anyone
has so far, I missed it.

Have you been to the store in the last year? EVERYTHING is getting
expensive.

Steve

.... as a predictable result of the Iraq war being waged in order to
eliminate WMDs from that country that were never there.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

SteveB wrote:

"George" wrote in message
. ..

AZ Nomad wrote:

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 13:30:20 -0500, George wrote:

SteveB wrote:

"clifto" wrote

[...]

Those "common" laws aren't immutable, nor even common. And don't get me
started on ASCAP.

Answer: You don't.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"CJT" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
"clifto" wrote

I look forward to someone telling *why* they're so expensive. If anyone
has so far, I missed it.

Have you been to the store in the last year? EVERYTHING is getting
expensive.

Steve

... as a predictable result of the Iraq war being waged in order to
eliminate WMDs from that country that were never there.

And after the towers were dropped by explosives planted by the CIA, right.
Everyone knows fire cannot melt steel, as Rosie says.

And the cost of everything has nothing to do with rising oil prices, rising
minimum wage, increased benefits to illegal aliens, etc, etc, etc.

I'm so glad you explained these things so clearly.

plonk

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

SteveB wrote:

"CJT" wrote in message

SteveB wrote:

"clifto" wrote

I look forward to someone telling *why* they're so expensive. If anyone
has so far, I missed it.

Have you been to the store in the last year? EVERYTHING is getting
expensive.

Steve

... as a predictable result of the Iraq war being waged in order to
eliminate WMDs from that country that were never there.

And after the towers were dropped by explosives planted by the CIA, right.
Everyone knows fire cannot melt steel, as Rosie says.

And the cost of everything has nothing to do with rising oil prices, rising
minimum wage, increased benefits to illegal aliens, etc, etc, etc.

I'm so glad you explained these things so clearly.

plonk

Steve

Why do you suppose the price of oil is going up?

And what are these "increased benefits to illegal aliens?"

And please remember that Saddam had nothing to do with the twin towers.
In fact, most of the perps were from Saudi, as I recall.

BTW, the minimum wage hasn't kept up with inflation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

AZ Nomad writes:

gotta love those weird measurements.

Allen Bradley, a maker of industrial computer control systems, was measuring
memory in 'feet' well into the 90's. The unit 'feet' was a reference to the
equivelent length of paper tape for program storage.

The science fiction book "The Difference Engine" imagines a world where
Babbage succeeded in building his mechanical Analytical Engine, starting
the computer revolution during the age of steam. In the story, the
power of computers is measured in "gear yardage" instead of megahertz or
RPM or megabytes.

It sort of makes sense for the time.

Dave
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 10:33:13 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Didn't think you knew. Glad you can look up data.

What the **** did you think, that a measurement of power could be the mere
existance of a pile of ice? The units for power is energy over time.
The ice melting is the energy involved, changing phase from solid to liquid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 20, 9:48 am, trbo20 wrote:
[...]

This is a follow-up to my original post.

The HVAC guys are down in my basement right now pulling out my old
system and installing the new one. When they pulled the cover off
the
unit, the technician noticed right away that the previous installer
rigged the evaporator coil with a side intake.

The way he had it going, only one half of the coil ever saw any use.
This is evident by the amount of dust that collected on one side of
the coil. That means my compressor had to work twice as hard to heat
and cool my home over the last 10 years which is probably why it
failed when it did. Frankly, I'm surprised it even lasted that long.

This experience reinforces what in the alt.HAVC group said about
finding the right
guys for the job. I can only wonder how many dollars the previous
home owner wasted heating and cooling this place because the HVAC
guys
that put this system in either weren't qualified to do their jobs or
just didn't care.

Thanks everyone for all of your input.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"trbo20" wrote in message
On Nov 20, 9:48 am, trbo20 wrote:
[...]

Yer welcome. And now you have a story to tell when someone touts HVAC
people as being honest, hard working and never making a mistake. Most are
good Joe's, but it's like anything else. Getting references, or referrals
from someone who's happy with a contractors is the way to go. Trouble is,
with HVAC, you usually need the cool or warm air yesterday, and have to find
someone FAST. Then Ben Dover shows up.

Steve