Posted to alt.home.repair
trbo20 trbo20 is offline

Default $1800 for a heat pump compressor? Seriously?

On Nov 20, 9:57 am, George wrote:
trbo20 wrote:
The compressor in my 13-year old Lenox heat pump died yesterday
through an internal short. The repair guy told me that I could expect
to pay from $1700 to $1800 for a new one.

While I'm no HVAC guy, I do understand basic mechanics, and I know
that there is nothing either technologically or mechanically wondrous
about compressors. I can't get my head around why this part should
cost more than a replacement car engine or a nice riding lawn mower.

Sounds like you haven't priced things in a long time.

How so? I purchased a riding lawn mower this spring for $1700, and
replaced my Honda Civic engine with a rebuilt one for $1600.