Posted to alt.home.repair
AZ Nomad AZ Nomad is offline

Default $1800 for a heat pump compressor? Seriously?

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 09:35:05 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:

So, a four ton unit is equivilant to four tons of ice? Would I put that ice
in the cellar, and melt it slowly over the summer?

I know the answer, but I'm not sure you do.

It's a 24 hours period, you incredible asshole.

From wikipedia, since you seem to need it spelled out for you:
Air conditioner equipment power in the U.S. is often described in terms of "tons
of refrigeration". A "ton of refrigeration" is defined as the cooling power of
one short ton (2000 pounds or 907 kilograms) of ice melting in a 24-hour period.
This is equal to 12,000 BTU per hour, or 3517 watts
(http://physics.nist.gov/Pubs/SP811/appenB9.html). Residential "central air"
systems are usually from 1 to 5 tons (3 to 20 kW) in capacity.