Posted to alt.home.repair
franz frippl franz frippl is offline

Default $1800 for a heat pump compressor? Seriously?

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 06:48:54 -0800, trbo20 wrote:

The compressor in my 13-year old Lenox heat pump died yesterday through
an internal short. The repair guy told me that I could expect to pay
from $1700 to $1800 for a new one.

While I'm no HVAC guy, I do understand basic mechanics, and I know that
there is nothing either technologically or mechanically wondrous about
compressors. I can't get my head around why this part should cost more
than a replacement car engine or a nice riding lawn mower.

I had a good read on the technician. He was very candid and frank in
our discussion and he took the time to show me what his troubleshooting
steps were. He helped me explore possible alternatives to save a buck,
but he could not tell me why a new compressor cost so much.

Am I being severely up-charged by the reseller, or is this the going
rate. If this is the going rate, then could anyone tell me why they're
so expensive? If it helps, the repair guy said my unit was a 4-tonner.
I don't really know what that means, but I assume it indicates the
general size.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

Consider a better furnace.