Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default $1800 for a heat pump compressor? Seriously?

trbo20 wrote:

The compressor in my 13-year old Lenox heat pump died yesterday
through an internal short. The repair guy told me that I could expect
to pay from $1700 to $1800 for a new one.

Installed, or is that just the parts?

While I'm no HVAC guy, I do understand basic mechanics, and I know
that there is nothing either technologically or mechanically wondrous
about compressors. I can't get my head around why this part should
cost more than a replacement car engine or a nice riding lawn mower.

I had a good read on the technician. He was very candid and frank in
our discussion and he took the time to show me what his
troubleshooting steps were. He helped me explore possible
alternatives to save a buck, but he could not tell me why a new
compressor cost so much.

Am I being severely up-charged by the reseller, or is this the going
rate. If this is the going rate, then could anyone tell me why
they're so expensive? If it helps, the repair guy said my unit was a
4-tonner. I don't really know what that means, but I assume it
indicates the general size.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.