Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default OT- Pickup Truck Drawer System

I don't own a pickup truck so I'm curious about what truck owners
think of the drawer system built on this episode of Wasted Spaces.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_par...708055,00.html

It seems practical, but as a non-truck owner, I don't know what I
don't know.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
ups.com...
I don't own a pickup truck so I'm curious about what truck owners
think of the drawer system built on this episode of Wasted Spaces.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_par...708055,00.html

It seems practical, but as a non-truck owner, I don't know what I
don't know.

Works for some people, not for others. That was easy.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
ups.com...
I don't own a pickup truck so I'm curious about what truck owners
think of the drawer system built on this episode of Wasted Spaces.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_par...708055,00.html

It seems practical, but as a non-truck owner, I don't know what I
don't know.

I would be concerned about security. Is there any way to lock this thing up?
A thief could completely clear out those "drawers" in a minute or two.

It is not just having the tools handy, but keeping them from being stolen.
That is the reality of living in today's world.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

on 10/2/2007 10:42 AM DerbyDad03 said the following:
I don't own a pickup truck so I'm curious about what truck owners
think of the drawer system built on this episode of Wasted Spaces.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_par...708055,00.html

It seems practical, but as a non-truck owner, I don't know what I
don't know.

I own a pickup, but I don't need it.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 2 Oct, 11:17, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

ups.com...I don't own a pickup truck so I'm curious about what truck owners
think of the drawer system built on this episode of Wasted Spaces.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_par...cle/0,2021,DIY...

It seems practical, but as a non-truck owner, I don't know what I
don't know.

I would be concerned about security. Is there any way to lock this thing up?
A thief could completely clear out those "drawers" in a minute or two.

It is not just having the tools handy, but keeping them from being stolen.
That is the reality of living in today's world.

I assume that if the bed is secured to the truck and the tailgate can
be locked in some manner, then the drawers would be both hidden and
inaccessible.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_par...,DIY_13690_570
8055,00.html

It seems practical, but as a non-truck owner, I don't know what I
don't know.

Wasted Time. Much too difficult to get at what you need, much too easy for
someone to steal. Takes up too much space in the bed. Too much excess weight
to haul around.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

In article m, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I assume that if the bed is secured to the truck and the tailgate can
be locked in some manner, then the drawers would be both hidden and
inaccessible.

Truck tailgates are typically not lockable -- kinda pointless when the bed is
completely open anyway, ya know...

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

on 10/2/2007 11:17 AM Lee Michaels said the following:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
ups.com...

I don't own a pickup truck so I'm curious about what truck owners
think of the drawer system built on this episode of Wasted Spaces.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_par...708055,00.html

It seems practical, but as a non-truck owner, I don't know what I
don't know.

I would be concerned about security. Is there any way to lock this thing up?
A thief could completely clear out those "drawers" in a minute or two.

I would think that you need a tailgate lock, OE or aftermarket.

It is not just having the tools handy, but keeping them from being stolen.
That is the reality of living in today's world.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 2 Oct, 11:37, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article m, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I assume that if the bed is secured to the truck and the tailgate can
be locked in some manner, then the drawers would be both hidden and
inaccessible.

Truck tailgates are typically not lockable

Typically not lockable, or typically don't come standard with locks?

Lot's of tailgate locks, both keyed and powered, available via Google.

e.g. http://www.truckaccessorizer.com/sto...gate_locks.htm

kinda pointless when the bed is completely open anyway, ya know...

But in this case, the bed would cover the storage system and would
have to be removed in order to reach the contents, assuming a tailgate
lock was installed.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:
I don't own a pickup truck so I'm curious about what truck owners
think of the drawer system built on this episode of Wasted Spaces.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_par...708055,00.html

It seems practical, but as a non-truck owner, I don't know what I
don't know.

My work truck came from the outfitter with something similar. It's a
great idea until the first time you try to open/close one of the drawers
and realize you have about 500 lb. of tools in the drawer.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Nova wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
I don't own a pickup truck so I'm curious about what truck owners
think of the drawer system built on this episode of Wasted Spaces.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_par...708055,00.html

It seems practical, but as a non-truck owner, I don't know what I
don't know.

My work truck came from the outfitter with something similar. It's a
great idea until the first time you try to open/close one of the drawers
and realize you have about 500 lb. of tools in the drawer.

Last month's Fine Homebuilding had a similar version as a Tip column but
the guy mounted the drawers on roller wheels and used an upper roller to
prevent the boxes from tipping as they were pulled out. This one just
sliding will get hard to pull if it isn't already once it wears a
little, for sure.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:

Last month's Fine Homebuilding had a similar version as a Tip column but
the guy mounted the drawers on roller wheels and used an upper roller to
prevent the boxes from tipping as they were pulled out. This one just
sliding will get hard to pull if it isn't already once it wears a
little, for sure.

Mine has a single roller across the width at the cab end. This causes
you to have to lift the drawer and its entire contents to open/close it.
Along with the lost depth of the bed, which is unavailable when
needed, I'd rip it out if I were allowed to.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

In article om, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 2 Oct, 11:37, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article m, DerbyDad03

wrote:

I assume that if the bed is secured to the truck and the tailgate can
be locked in some manner, then the drawers would be both hidden and
inaccessible.

Truck tailgates are typically not lockable

Typically not lockable, or typically don't come standard with locks?

Sorry, don't come standard with locks.

Lot's of tailgate locks, both keyed and powered, available via Google.

You kinda answered your own question there, you know -- if they did come
standard with locks, there wouldn't be an aftermarket.

kinda pointless when the bed is completely open anyway, ya know...

But in this case, the bed would cover the storage system and would
have to be removed in order to reach the contents, assuming a tailgate
lock was installed.

Right, I was explaining why pickups don't come standard with locks on the
tailgate.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Nova wrote:
dpb wrote:

Last month's Fine Homebuilding had a similar version as a Tip column
but the guy mounted the drawers on roller wheels and used an upper
roller to prevent the boxes from tipping as they were pulled out.
This one just sliding will get hard to pull if it isn't already once
it wears a little, for sure.

Mine has a single roller across the width at the cab end. This causes
you to have to lift the drawer and its entire contents to open/close it.
Along with the lost depth of the bed, which is unavailable when needed,
I'd rip it out if I were allowed to.

Think these go under the category of "different strokes..."

Just depends on how one uses the truck as to whether giving up the depth
for the storage is a useful tradeoff or not. For me on the farm w/ the
diesel and gas transfer tanks which take up almost half unfortunately
and needing room for stuff other than tools and the types of tools
changing from one job to another, they're not the deal. The side mount
boxes for the handtools for equipment repair are ok, the rest is for
whatever is the "job of the day"...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote:

I assume that if the bed is secured to the truck and the tailgate can
be locked in some manner, then the drawers would be both hidden and
inaccessible.

Truck tailgates are typically not lockable

Typically not lockable, or typically don't come standard with locks?

Sorry, don't come standard with locks.

Lot's of tailgate locks, both keyed and powered, available via Google.

You kinda answered your own question there, you know

I wasn't answering my own question, cuz I wasn't asking a question
about locks. I was asking a question about what you were trying to
say, which you have cleared up. Thanks for that.

-- if they did come standard with locks, there wouldn't be an
aftermarket.

Well, if you want to get all semantical about this, there are lots of
aftermarket replacements for standard equipment. :-)

kinda pointless when the bed is completely open anyway, ya know...

But in this case, the bed would cover the storage system and would
have to be removed in order to reach the contents, assuming a tailgate
lock was installed.

Right, I was explaining why pickups don't come standard with locks on the
tailgate.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 07:42:38 -0700, DerbyDad03
wrote:

I don't own a pickup truck so I'm curious about what truck owners
think of the drawer system built on this episode of Wasted Spaces.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_par...708055,00.html

It seems practical, but as a non-truck owner, I don't know what I
don't know

About 25 years ago I made drawers for my truck which I used for
camping. I had 3 drawers about 1.3 feet square by 8 feet long.
They had 3 compartments. A sheet of plywood on top of the drawers
and a mattress on top of that. The truck had a camper shell.
There were no rollers for the drawers. It was very convenient and
not very hard to use. I used it for many years.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Oct 2, 9:42 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I don't own a pickup truck so I'm curious about what truck owners
think of the drawer system built on this episode of Wasted Spaces.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_par...cle/0,2021,DIY...

It seems practical, but as a non-truck owner, I don't know what I
don't know.

I own a pickup but I'm not a contractor. If my truck were my office
and shop, something like that might be practical although I'd want to
see how those drawers work when they're fully loaded, in the rain, and
when it's minus 20 degrees.

But since I use my truck for hauling yard waste, lumber, furniture and
whatever, I want the space those drawers take up more than I want the
drawers.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 2 Oct, 13:57, " wrote:
On Oct 2, 9:42 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I don't own a pickup truck so I'm curious about what truck owners
think of the drawer system built on this episode of Wasted Spaces.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_par...cle/0,2021,DIY...

It seems practical, but as a non-truck owner, I don't know what I
don't know.

I own a pickup but I'm not a contractor. If my truck were my office
and shop, something like that might be practical although I'd want to
see how those drawers work when they're fully loaded, in the rain, and
when it's minus 20 degrees.

But since I use my truck for hauling yard waste, lumber, furniture and
whatever, I want the space those drawers take up more than I want the
drawers.

Well, the drawers would allow you to keep the yard waste separate from
the furniture. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote in
ups.com:

I don't own a pickup truck so I'm curious about what truck owners
think of the drawer system built on this episode of Wasted Spaces.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_par...e/0,2021,DIY_1
3690_5708055,00.html

It seems practical, but as a non-truck owner, I don't know what I
don't know.

It depends... I have a similar truck (long bed, small cab) that I use for
the bed capacity, not hauling tools around. In my case, the drawer
system would be a bigger hassle than not having it.

It's a good idea, just not right for me.

Puckdropper

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 11:17:26 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

I would be concerned about security. Is there any way to lock this thing up?
A thief could completely clear out those "drawers" in a minute or two.

It is not just having the tools handy, but keeping them from being stolen.
That is the reality of living in today's world.

Tailgate locks are relatively easy to find and install, and are now
offered as options on many trucks.

Phone and CATV installers have had similar drawer systems with double
rear door utility caps over the bed. The rear doors lock the drawers
in place.

I'd worry without any sort of lock.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Tailgate locks are relatively easy to find and install, and are now
offered as options on many trucks.

Standard on new Tundra's. ;~)

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Scott Zrubek" wrote in message

wrote:

Tailgate locks are relatively easy to find and install, and are now
offered as options on many trucks.

Standard on new Tundra's. ;~)

And on 1999 F-150s

The absence of a lock was standard on my 02 Tacoma.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote:

I would be concerned about security. Is there any way to lock this thing
up?
A thief could completely clear out those "drawers" in a minute or two.

It is not just having the tools handy, but keeping them from being stolen.
That is the reality of living in today's world.

Tailgate locks are relatively easy to find and install, and are now
offered as options on many trucks.

Phone and CATV installers have had similar drawer systems with double
rear door utility caps over the bed. The rear doors lock the drawers
in place.

I'd worry without any sort of lock.

Well, there are locks, and there are locks. Most 'pretty' flush-mount
built-in factory locks are pretty flimsy, and often soon succumb to weather
grunge, rust, metal fatigue from the constant vibration, and the prybars of
the local vultures. Parts of this town (and other towns I have lived in) are
pretty nasty, and over the years I have seen many a service body or cap
where the pretty factory locks have been augmented by heavy duty hasps and
hardened padlocks with weather boots. This is on private trucks and
corporate/government fleet vehicles. I drive a desk for a living now, but if
I ever needed that sort of storage on a vehicle, I'd gravitate toward the
models with factory hasps integrated into the design, vs. pretty flush-mount
lock cylinders that were not strong enough to deter anything more than
crimes of opportunity. If the contents of the truck are worth as much as the
truck, I can live with stone-age looks.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote:

I assume that if the bed is secured to the truck and the tailgate can
be locked in some manner, then the drawers would be both hidden and
inaccessible.

Truck tailgates are typically not lockable

Typically not lockable, or typically don't come standard with locks?

Sorry, don't come standard with locks.

Some Nissan Frontier pickups after 1998 came with locking tailgates. I
remember looking at one in the showroom and I asked the salesguy why it
had a locking tailgate if you can reach in and take anything out of the
bed. He said it wasn't to safeguard anything in the bed, it was to
prevent the theft of the tailgate.

Lot's of tailgate locks, both keyed and powered, available via Google.

You kinda answered your own question there, you know -- if they did come
standard with locks, there wouldn't be an aftermarket.

kinda pointless when the bed is completely open anyway, ya know...

But in this case, the bed would cover the storage system and would
have to be removed in order to reach the contents, assuming a tailgate
lock was installed.

Right, I was explaining why pickups don't come standard with locks on the
tailgate.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"willshak" wrote in message
on 10/2/2007 1:19 PM Doug Miller said the following:
In article om,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

On 2 Oct, 11:37, (Doug Miller) wrote:

In article m,
DerbyDad03

wrote:

I assume that if the bed is secured to the truck and the tailgate can
be locked in some manner, then the drawers would be both hidden and
inaccessible.

Truck tailgates are typically not lockable

Typically not lockable, or typically don't come standard with locks?

Sorry, don't come standard with locks.

Some Nissan Frontier pickups after 1998 came with locking tailgates. I
remember looking at one in the showroom and I asked the salesguy why it
had a locking tailgate if you can reach in and take anything out of the
bed. He said it wasn't to safeguard anything in the bed, it was to prevent
the theft of the tailgate.

The locking tailgate helps if you have a hard cover, some of which are still
flexible enough to be bent upward by a couple of muscular thieves.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
ups.com...
I don't own a pickup truck so I'm curious about what truck owners
think of the drawer system built on this episode of Wasted Spaces.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_par...708055,00.html

It seems practical, but as a non-truck owner, I don't know what I
don't know.

The answers are yes, no, definitely, and maybe.

It all depends on what you use your truck for. Anything that helps organize
you, keeps your tools dry and safe from theft, or just improves your
efficiency is a good thing. I have owned many "work trucks", and each was
totally different on what was functional and efficient on it. I do really
like to see a guy show up who's organized and has his stuff all together. I
had a guy show up to install a satellite dish, and he didn't even have a
drill! If they look organized, they probably are, and do good work. When
they look totally disorganized, they probably are.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

The BEST purchase I ever made was one of these, a 3 drawer unit, that
fits my dodge caravan. Actually over 12 years ago I bought 2 stacked
but only use one these days, the other is stored in my shed, if anyone
around pittsburgh wants to buy one I repair office machines for a
living, the 6 inch deep drawers with rollers move easily. The only
hassle is moving unit between vans. Filled with parts and tools its
more than one or 2 people can lift I remove the drawers and take out
the frame. The dividers arent used much my stuff slides around self
limiting its location.

Makes finding stuff so much easier than any other thing I ever tried

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
J. J. is offline

I do own a pickup and once built a wooden version of the Jobbox for the bed.

Moisture will be a problem. DAMHIKT.

Security/theft issues aside, which others have already raised, you don't
want to leave good gack in those drawers for any length of time because
it will rust unless you live in someplace like Arizona.

Honestly, from the look of those photos, I'd expect to see a good inch
or two of water in those drawers after a good rainstorm, or after 3
inches of snow melts.

J.

DerbyDad03 wrote:
I don't own a pickup truck so I'm curious about what truck owners
think of the drawer system built on this episode of Wasted Spaces.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_par...708055,00.html

It seems practical, but as a non-truck owner, I don't know what I
don't know.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

In article ,
"J." wrote:

I do own a pickup and once built a wooden version of the Jobbox for the bed.

Moisture will be a problem. DAMHIKT.

Security/theft issues aside, which others have already raised, you don't
want to leave good gack in those drawers for any length of time because
it will rust unless you live in someplace like Arizona.

Honestly, from the look of those photos, I'd expect to see a good inch
or two of water in those drawers after a good rainstorm, or after 3
inches of snow melts.

J.

So park the truck in the garage. You're not going to go out on jobs
while it's raining anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 21:34:56 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

So park the truck in the garage. You're not going to go out on jobs
while it's raining anyway.

Lots of contractors work inside. G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Oct 3, 12:34 am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,

"J." wrote:
I do own a pickup and once built a wooden version of the Jobbox for the bed.

Moisture will be a problem. DAMHIKT.

Security/theft issues aside, which others have already raised, you don't
want to leave good gack in those drawers for any length of time because
it will rust unless you live in someplace like Arizona.

Honestly, from the look of those photos, I'd expect to see a good inch
or two of water in those drawers after a good rainstorm, or after 3
inches of snow melts.

J.

-- So park the truck in the garage. You're not going to go out on jobs
while it's raining anyway.

The drawer system is not for "jobs". Ever gone fishing or camping?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"J." wrote:
I do own a pickup and once built a wooden version of the Jobbox for the
bed.

Moisture will be a problem. DAMHIKT.

Security/theft issues aside, which others have already raised, you don't
want to leave good gack in those drawers for any length of time because
it will rust unless you live in someplace like Arizona.

Honestly, from the look of those photos, I'd expect to see a good inch
or two of water in those drawers after a good rainstorm, or after 3
inches of snow melts.

J.

-- So park the truck in the garage. You're not going to go out on jobs
while it's raining anyway.

The drawer system is not for "jobs". Ever gone fishing or camping?

Well, going out to work or going out fishing, it's all the same. You're
gonna put the stuff in the back of the truck and either you keep it dry
somehow or you don't. With regard to rain, I don't see the drawers
themselves as the issue. I've seen several homemade drawer systems used
by contractors, and they always looked like a good idea to me, to keep
things organized and somewhat protected.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 3 Oct, 08:15, Smitty Two wrote:
In article om,

"J." wrote:
[...]

things organized and somewhat protected.- Hide quoted text -

That sounds like a complete reversal of your earlier comment. Let's
reconstruct the logic...

J said: "I'd expect to see a good inch or two of water in those
drawers"

To which you responded: "So park the truck in the garage. You're not
going to go out on jobs while it's raining anyway." (To me, that
sounds like you agree the drawers should not be out in the rain.)

I countered with: "Ever go camping?"

To which, in part, your replied "With regard to rain, I don't see the
drawers themselves as the issue"

So why would you suggest parking the truck in the garage when it
rains?

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"J." wrote:
[...]

Congratulations, It only took 35 posts to get an argument going!

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

wrote:

So park the truck in the garage. You're not going to go out on jobs
while it's raining anyway.

Lots of contractors work inside. G

....and in the rain. :-(

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"J." wrote:
[...]

Congratulations, It only took 35 posts to get an argument going!- Hide quoted text -

This is not an argument. This is a discussion. Arguments are down the
hall.

BTW do you want to have just one argument, or were you thinking of
taking a course?
It's one pound for a five minute argument, but only eight pounds for a
course of ten.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 19:27:14 GMT, Nova wrote:

...and in the rain. :-(

And in the rain, INSIDE, in future FedEx sorting centers. G

Windsor Locks, 1998...

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
mm mm is offline

wrote:

I assume that if the bed is secured to the truck and the tailgate can
be locked in some manner, then the drawers would be both hidden and
inaccessible.

Truck tailgates are typically not lockable

Typically not lockable, or typically don't come standard with locks?

Sorry, don't come standard with locks.

Some Nissan Frontier pickups after 1998 came with locking tailgates. I
remember looking at one in the showroom and I asked the salesguy why it
had a locking tailgate if you can reach in and take anything out of the
bed. He said it wasn't to safeguard anything in the bed, it was to
prevent the theft of the tailgate.

Is that really true? Maybe it was there for people who buy popup
campers and all the other accessories which might be easier to steal
if the tailgate is opened. Wouldn't a lot of people have more respect
for a factory lock than one they installed themselves, and maybe it
really would be better if it's inside a welded tailgate and can't be
removed, instead no harder to remove than it was to install.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 21:34:56 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
"J." wrote:

I do own a pickup and once built a wooden version of the Jobbox for the bed.

Moisture will be a problem. DAMHIKT.

Security/theft issues aside, which others have already raised, you don't
want to leave good gack in those drawers for any length of time because
it will rust unless you live in someplace like Arizona.

Honestly, from the look of those photos, I'd expect to see a good inch
or two of water in those drawers after a good rainstorm, or after 3
inches of snow melts.

J.

So park the truck in the garage. You're not going to go out on jobs
while it's raining anyway.

But even if you don't work in the rain, when it rains you have to go
home. Or you could always leave early enough so that you are home
before it rains.