Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default OT- Pickup Truck Drawer System

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 11:17:26 -0400, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

I would be concerned about security. Is there any way to lock this thing
up?
A thief could completely clear out those "drawers" in a minute or two.

It is not just having the tools handy, but keeping them from being stolen.
That is the reality of living in today's world.

Tailgate locks are relatively easy to find and install, and are now
offered as options on many trucks.

Phone and CATV installers have had similar drawer systems with double
rear door utility caps over the bed. The rear doors lock the drawers
in place.

I'd worry without any sort of lock.

Well, there are locks, and there are locks. Most 'pretty' flush-mount
built-in factory locks are pretty flimsy, and often soon succumb to weather
grunge, rust, metal fatigue from the constant vibration, and the prybars of
the local vultures. Parts of this town (and other towns I have lived in) are
pretty nasty, and over the years I have seen many a service body or cap
where the pretty factory locks have been augmented by heavy duty hasps and
hardened padlocks with weather boots. This is on private trucks and
corporate/government fleet vehicles. I drive a desk for a living now, but if
I ever needed that sort of storage on a vehicle, I'd gravitate toward the
models with factory hasps integrated into the design, vs. pretty flush-mount
lock cylinders that were not strong enough to deter anything more than
crimes of opportunity. If the contents of the truck are worth as much as the
truck, I can live with stone-age looks.

aem sends...