Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 4x12 drywall in a pickup truck?

I need to get 10 sheets of 4x12 1/2" drywall home. I have an F150 full
bed pickup truck. With the tailgate down, I would have 10ft of
carrying surface. How bad it is to leave 2ft of the drywall (10
sheets) hanging out the back? Also, I think a sheet would weigh about
80lbs...is that right?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just buy 4x8 or 4x10 sheets. 4x12 sheets are such a pain to work with
anyway, that I'd much rather mud an extra joint or two and use the
4x10's

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just buy 4x8 or 4x10 sheets. 4x12 sheets are such a pain to work with
anyway, that I'd much rather mud an extra joint or two and use the
4x10's

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 28 Aug 2006 07:05:55 -0700, "Jack" wrote:

wrote:
I need to get 10 sheets of 4x12 1/2" drywall home. I have an F150 full
bed pickup truck. With the tailgate down, I would have 10ft of
carrying surface. How bad it is to leave 2ft of the drywall (10
sheets) hanging out the back? Also, I think a sheet would weigh about
80lbs...is that right?

How about laying about 3 planks(2x4x6-8-10) in the bed extend them
out the two feet and lay the drywall sheets on them that way sheets are
supported the full 12 feet.
Jack

That's the way I'd do it, even support.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
wrote:
I need to get 10 sheets of 4x12 1/2" drywall home. I have an F150 full
bed pickup truck. With the tailgate down, I would have 10ft of
carrying surface. How bad it is to leave 2ft of the drywall (10
sheets) hanging out the back? Also, I think a sheet would weigh about
80lbs...is that right?

Short distance, smooth road, low speed, no problem.

Longer distance, bumpy roads, high speed, buy a few 2X4s to put under
the DW. Don't forget to rig something to keep them from sliding out
the back. DAMHIKT.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert Allison" wrote in message
I reloaded them into the truck (and NOONE stopped to help). Now I tie
them in even if I am just going across the street.

Was that you? Next time wave and I'll stop. Honest.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Don't forget to tie the sheets to the truck as they have a habit of sliding
out the back onto the road when you pull away at a traffic light, especially
with an overhang. Tie them to the top of the front of the bed and around
down under onto the chassis a couple of times to keep all movement
contained.

news

wrote:
I need to get 10 sheets of 4x12 1/2" drywall home. I have an F150 full
bed pickup truck. With the tailgate down, I would have 10ft of
carrying surface. How bad it is to leave 2ft of the drywall (10
sheets) hanging out the back? Also, I think a sheet would weigh about
80lbs...is that right?

How about laying about 3 planks(2x4x6-8-10) in the bed extend them
out the two feet and lay the drywall sheets on them that way sheets are
supported the full 12 feet.
Jack

That's the way I'd do it, even support.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Reverend Natural Light" wrote in message
oups.com...
The slightest bend and the tailgate will never close right again. How
much is that worth to you? I'd rent a trailer or move it in 2 or more
trips.

-rev

???????????????? NEVER had a problem with using the tailgate to support
drywall. Of course they were all Chevy's, not Fords.

wrote:
I need to get 10 sheets of 4x12 1/2" drywall home. I have an F150 full
bed pickup truck. With the tailgate down, I would have 10ft of
carrying surface. How bad it is to leave 2ft of the drywall (10
sheets) hanging out the back? Also, I think a sheet would weigh about
80lbs...is that right?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't forget to rig something to keep them from sliding out
the back. DAMHIKT.

Nowadays if you slide a small sheet along the highway the hazmat people will
probably have to come out and close the roadway. Close it at least long
enough so they can analyze the offending item. Crazy!!

Ivan Vegvary

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
George E. Cawthon wrote:
wrote:
I need to get 10 sheets of 4x12 1/2" drywall home. I have an F150 full
bed pickup truck. With the tailgate down, I would have 10ft of
carrying surface. How bad it is to leave 2ft of the drywall (10
sheets) hanging out the back? Also, I think a sheet would weigh about
80lbs...is that right?

There is no problem, assuming that you have a real
150 and not a show dog like the F150 Harley
Davidson. The 2 foot over hang won't have any
negative effect on the drywall or the tailgate.

I suppose you could do it that way if you ignore the chance of the last
2 feet of the bottom sheet(s) snapping off when you hit a bump. If not
using 2 bys or boards under the load, at least strap the overhang
together.

Harry K

Yeah! I assumed that the truck had springs and
shocks and the driver would be careful and avoid
hitting big bumps. It would take a hell of a bump
to snap the last two feet off. But if one were
worried about that, the best way would be to put
five foot long' 2x4s crosswise to the sheet, one
under and one over, to the sheets and located 1'
past the open tailgate, and bind the ends together
with rope on each end. Ten sheets bound together
would never snap unless one hit a bump that would
raise the whole load up 2-3 feet above the pickup
bed, but one would have more serious problems than
snapping the ends of the sheets off. Cheers.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

replying to EXT, Joe wrote:
Haha happened to me in the middle of an intersection luckily only 6 sheets and
another helper in the truck. Back loaded in 6 minutes but broke 2 panels.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ck-141232-.htm