Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default 4x12 drywall in a pickup truck?

wrote:
I need to get 10 sheets of 4x12 1/2" drywall home. I have an F150 full
bed pickup truck. With the tailgate down, I would have 10ft of
carrying surface. How bad it is to leave 2ft of the drywall (10
sheets) hanging out the back? Also, I think a sheet would weigh about
80lbs...is that right?

About--a little over, methinks, but not much.

Doable if short distance and can be real careful on the road, but the
better way would be to use several tubah-X's (and optionally a piece of
ply on top for a nice smooth surface) to make a temporary bed extender
so the ends are supported rather than hanging free. It's well within
the load range of a full-size pu (even if it is a Ford ) and the
amount of load on the tailgate if supported as above isn't excessive as
long as you don't go pounding it up and down.

As someone else noted, 12-footers are a real pita to handle as they're
so long and flexible it takes some real careful handling to keep them
from breaking in the middle even just getting them onto a lift.
Overhead w/o a lift is absolutely impossible (no cobbled-up 't-bracket'
is going to be adequate as you can get by w/ on 8- or even w/ care,
10-ft). Even going on a wall you have to be very careful when cutting
to not let the middle be unsupported and let it tilt towards level too
far while you and a buddy are holding the ends or snap!!!