Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
mm mm is offline

Default OT- Pickup Truck Drawer System

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 18:24:50 -0400, willshak
wrote:

on 10/2/2007 1:19 PM Doug Miller said the following:
In article om, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On 2 Oct, 11:37, (Doug Miller) wrote:

In article m, DerbyDad03

wrote:

I assume that if the bed is secured to the truck and the tailgate can
be locked in some manner, then the drawers would be both hidden and
inaccessible.

Truck tailgates are typically not lockable

Typically not lockable, or typically don't come standard with locks?

Sorry, don't come standard with locks.

Some Nissan Frontier pickups after 1998 came with locking tailgates. I
remember looking at one in the showroom and I asked the salesguy why it
had a locking tailgate if you can reach in and take anything out of the
bed. He said it wasn't to safeguard anything in the bed, it was to
prevent the theft of the tailgate.

Is that really true? Maybe it was there for people who buy popup
campers and all the other accessories which might be easier to steal
if the tailgate is opened. Wouldn't a lot of people have more respect
for a factory lock than one they installed themselves, and maybe it
really would be better if it's inside a welded tailgate and can't be
removed, instead no harder to remove than it was to install.