Posted to alt.home.repair

Default help me to choose a drill on a budget

As a new homewner I need a drill/driver for occasional weekend use. I
am on the budget $100 but the less I spend the better if quality is
sufficient for my tasks.
The options I've been looking at are
1) 18v Skil 2887, $79 (or 59 refurbished)
2) Panasonik EY6405FQKW, $99
3) Ryobi 18V Reconditioned $75

Any other options? I realize it would be a waste to buy anything pro
in my case. I want the drill to last however. So based on reviews
Panasonic is aa clear winner but does it worth extra $?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Skill and Ryobi are crap. Only thing worse than crap is reconditioned crap.
Panasonic has a good reputation, but I don't know anything about that
particular drill.

Lowes is selling a Dewalt 12v drill (DW940?) for $99 now; almost half price
off. Some stores don't have it on sale (such as the stores around me) but
they will match the other stores if you ask them to.
I have two of them and love them. Only problem is that the 12v line is
kinda short; almost anything other than drills has to be bought used off
ebay.
I don't know how extensive the Panasonic line is, but if it is deep that
might be a factor.

wrote in message
ps.com...
As a new homewner I need a drill/driver for occasional weekend use. I
am on the budget $100 but the less I spend the better if quality is
sufficient for my tasks.
The options I've been looking at are
1) 18v Skil 2887, $79 (or 59 refurbished)
2) Panasonik EY6405FQKW, $99
3) Ryobi 18V Reconditioned $75

Any other options? I realize it would be a waste to buy anything pro
in my case. I want the drill to last however. So based on reviews
Panasonic is aa clear winner but does it worth extra $?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ha, I just posted a problem with my cordless drill. I had a Ryobi
before, and it lasted awhile, but it just mysteriously started smoking
and died not too long ago. I then decided to upgrade to a Makita.
It's an awesome drill and I love it, but I am having a battery problem
with it. It's also a little more than what your budget is set at.

From what I can remember, the Panasonic was in the consumer report's

best buy list. I also don't know much about the Skil. But as I said
before, the Ryobi was great, but it only lasted for about two or three
years. I did a lot with it; remodeled the bathroom, put up cement
boards, build different projects around the house...even dropped it in
my pond once. So, it did a lot and took a lot of abuse...but died
after two years. But for the money, it might be worth it.

Another thing to consider is the weight of the drill. I didn't think
about it until I bought my current one...but you don't want to be
lugging a 2 lb drill around all day long.

Good Luck!

On Sep 22, 10:33 am, Mike Paulsen wrote:
wrote:
As a new homewner I need a drill/driver for occasional weekend use. I
am on the budget $100 but the less I spend the better if quality is
sufficient for my tasks.
The options I've been looking at are
1) 18v Skil 2887, $79 (or 59 refurbished)
2) Panasonik EY6405FQKW, $99
3) Ryobi 18V Reconditioned $75

Any other options? I realize it would be a waste to buy anything pro
in my case. I want the drill to last however. So based on reviews
Panasonic is aa clear winner but does it worth extra $?

Consider a corded drill. You'll get more drill for your money, won't
have to deal with battery issues (charging, failure, & replacement), and
you can expect it to last decades with little or no maintenance.

Something like this is in the $35-$40 range:http://www.ryobitools.com/powertools/tool/d46ck/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 10:41 am, " wrote:
Ha, I just posted a problem with my cordless drill. I had a Ryobi
before, and it lasted awhile, but it just mysteriously started smoking
and died not too long ago. I then decided to upgrade to a Makita.
It's an awesome drill and I love it, but I am having a battery problem
with it. It's also a little more than what your budget is set at.

From what I can remember, the Panasonic was in the consumer report's

wrote:
As a new homewner I need a drill/driver for occasional weekend use. I
am on the budget $100 but the less I spend the better if quality is
sufficient for my tasks.
The options I've been looking at are
1) 18v Skil 2887, $79 (or 59 refurbished)
2) Panasonik EY6405FQKW, $99
3) Ryobi 18V Reconditioned $75

Any other options? I realize it would be a waste to buy anything pro
in my case. I want the drill to last however. So based on reviews
Panasonic is aa clear winner but does it worth extra $?

Consider a corded drill. You'll get more drill for your money, won't
have to deal with battery issues (charging, failure, & replacement), and
you can expect it to last decades with little or no maintenance.

Something like this is in the $35-$40 range:http://www.ryobitools.com/powertools/tool/d46ck/- Hide quoted text -

Skill is junk, Ridgid has lifetime battery warranty,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 9:52 am, wrote:
As a new homewner I need a drill/driver for occasional weekend use. I
am on the budget $100 but the less I spend the better if quality is
sufficient for my tasks.
The options I've been looking at are
1) 18v Skil 2887, $79 (or 59 refurbished)
2) Panasonik EY6405FQKW, $99
3) Ryobi 18V Reconditioned $75

Any other options? I realize it would be a waste to buy anything pro
in my case. I want the drill to last however. So based on reviews
Panasonic is aa clear winner but does it worth extra $?

I've owned them all, but the DeWalt cordless has a lot of torque for a
cordless, more torque than I've ever seen on a cordless it matches the
torque of my corded Makita. The Ryobi is crappy but they have a nice
lineup and design ideas for re-using the batteries. My next drill
will probably be the DeWalt or I'll just keep the one I "borrowed"
from my friend since June. One caveat is that it is a heavy drill for
a cordless, probably because it needs heavier gearbox for all that
torque.

Posted to alt.home.repair

So if I was to go corded drill which one? Again I am not pro, so I
don't want to overpay.
Thanks

On Sep 22, 12:06 pm, Dan Espen
wrote:
Mike Paulsen writes:
wrote:
As a new homewner I need a drill/driver for occasional weekend use. I
am on the budget $100 but the less I spend the better if quality is
sufficient for my tasks.
The options I've been looking at are
1) 18v Skil 2887, $79 (or 59 refurbished)
2) Panasonik EY6405FQKW, $99
3) Ryobi 18V Reconditioned $75
Any other options? I realize it would be a waste to buy anything pro
in my case. I want the drill to last however. So based on reviews
Panasonic is aa clear winner but does it worth extra $?

Consider a corded drill. You'll get more drill for your money, won't
have to deal with battery issues (charging, failure, & replacement),
and you can expect it to last decades with little or no maintenance.

Something like this is in the $35-$40 range:
http://www.ryobitools.com/powertools/tool/d46ck/

Seconded.

The words budget and battery don't belong in the same sentence.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...
As a new homewner I need a drill/driver for occasional weekend use. I
am on the budget $100 but the less I spend the better if quality is
sufficient for my tasks.

Get a corded drill. For the price you want to pay, they're better. You can
find a pretty decent one for $50-60 or so and it will last many many years.
I believe the Makita drills have replaceable brushes, so for $5 every 10 or
20 years, you can keep the drill going.

However, most corded drills don't have a "pistol" grip like the battery
powered drills do. Corded drills have the grip at the end of the drill,
which (IMO) isn't as good as the battery powered drills since it's not
properly balanced.

Yes the cord can be a hassle, but for a drill it doesn't need to be the
heavy-duty kind. In fact even 'light-duty' would do the job just fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 07:52:12 -0700, wrote:

As a new homewner I need a drill/driver for occasional weekend use. I
am on the budget $100 but the less I spend the better if quality is
sufficient for my tasks.
The options I've been looking at are
1) 18v Skil 2887, $79 (or 59 refurbished)
2) Panasonik EY6405FQKW, $99
3) Ryobi 18V Reconditioned $75

Any other options? I realize it would be a waste to buy anything pro
in my case. I want the drill to last however. So based on reviews
Panasonic is aa clear winner but does it worth extra $?

Just about any electric drill will outlast most cordless drills. But,
you will get a far better value for your dollar with a corded $100
Milwaukee and, if not abused, chances are excellent it will still be
running 10 years from now. All of my cordless drills died. If you
have to get a cordless, a DeWalt or Panasonic would be your best bet,
a big plus if it included two battery packs.

I'll second that. For occasional household use, a corded is definitely the
way to go. Under occasional use, rechargeables die young, and 3-4 years
later the odds of finding a matching battery pack for less than the cost of
a new drill are slim. Corded are also more powerful, in my experience. And
they definitely are cheaper. Unless you drill often, and drill more than 20
feet from an outlet, the convenience of cordless is more than offset by the
short life, IMHO. Now if I was still making a living on construction sites,
my answer would be different- I'd have a rig like some cabinet installers I
saw- 2 cordless in belt holsters, one with a drill bit, and the other with a
clutched screwdriver head, and a backup load of batteries in the charger.
But these were commercial-grade drills, not DIYs, and for a pro, time is
definitely money.

I do own a cordless (24v B&D), and like it, but it was a $25 impulse
purchase off the remainder table at the borg, marked down from about $60. It
is great for small 2-3 hole jobs hanging things on walls and such, but when
I tried to do production with it (deck screws on a couple of replacement
boards), it wimped out after 4-5 screws, and would not dog them down. I went
out and bought a corded Makita 3/8 variable/reversing for about 50 bucks,
and zipped through the rest of the 30-odd screws in short order. Since the
corded would easily do anything the cordless does, but the reverse is not
true, if I had to choose between them, I would definitely keep the corded
one.

Under light household use, any brand name corded should easily last 15-20
years. Both of my current drills replaced an extremely cheap B&D 3/8 that I
had used for over 25 years, but smoked the bearings on drilling through 45
year old framing, running wires. (it still spins, but overheats quickly. I
use it for wirebrushing rust off the car now.)

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 10:52 am, wrote:
As a new homewner I need a drill/driver for occasional weekend use. I
am on the budget $100 but the less I spend the better if quality is
sufficient for my tasks.
The options I've been looking at are
1) 18v Skil 2887, $79 (or 59 refurbished)
2) Panasonik EY6405FQKW, $99
3) Ryobi 18V Reconditioned $75

Any other options? I realize it would be a waste to buy anything pro
in my case. I want the drill to last however. So based on reviews
Panasonic is aa clear winner but does it worth extra $?

"occasional weekend use"

What will these "occasional" uses be?

Many here have suggested a corded model which might make sense if your
occasional use won't be on a ladder 2 stories up. In other words,
think about what you will be using the drill for and picture that use
with an extension cord in the mix.

Oh yeah - If you go corded, make sure your drill budget includes the
cost of a decent gauge exterior-use extension cord that either
includes or can reach a GFCI outlet if you plan to use the drill
outdoors.

My drills? A 20+ YO corded Skil 599 Xtra-Tool Hammer drill and a
Dewalt DC759 18V drill. The *only* time I use the Skil is if I need a
hammer drill which lately has only been a few times a year. I use the
Dewalt for everything from removing outlets to mixing paint. On
occasion I'll even drill a hole with it. ;-)

BTW - I also bought the Dewalt circular saw and flashlight - tools
only - for use with the 18V batteries.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 22, 6:26 pm, "aemeijers" wrote:
[...]

aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

- I do own a cordless (24v B&D), and like it, but it was a $25
impulse purchase off the remainder table at the borg, marked down from
about $60.

Not for nothing, but I wouldn't expect a $60 cordless drill, even a
24V model, to be able to handle even the smallest of jobs. Perhaps
that's why it was on the remainder table.

My wife went to the B&D store at an outlet mall. She wanted to
surprise me with tool so she asked the salesman for some help. When
she told him that most of my tools are Dewalts, he suggested she go
buy me a shirt or something! He didn't want to sell her anything B&D
because the quality is so inferior to Dewalt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Sep 22, 6:26 pm, "aemeijers" wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message

. ..

[...]

Hi,
I thought B&D owns DeWalt or vice versa? Old B&D tools were OK.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker LT wrote:

I wouldn't even bother if it's not a dewalt or a porter cable.

wrote in message
ps.com...

As a new homewner I need a drill/driver for occasional weekend use. I
am on the budget $100 but the less I spend the better if quality is
sufficient for my tasks.
The options I've been looking at are
1) 18v Skil 2887, $79 (or 59 refurbished)
2) Panasonik EY6405FQKW, $99
3) Ryobi 18V Reconditioned $75

Any other options? I realize it would be a waste to buy anything pro
in my case. I want the drill to last however. So based on reviews
Panasonic is aa clear winner but does it worth extra $?

Hmmm,
Same here. I love my P & C Tiger Saw. Gives my arms good exercise, LOL!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...
As a new homewner I need a drill/driver for occasional weekend use. I
am on the budget $100 but the less I spend the better if quality is
sufficient for my tasks.
The options I've been looking at are
1) 18v Skil 2887, $79 (or 59 refurbished)
2) Panasonik EY6405FQKW, $99
3) Ryobi 18V Reconditioned $75

Any other options? I realize it would be a waste to buy anything pro
in my case. I want the drill to last however. So based on reviews
Panasonic is aa clear winner but does it worth extra $?

First, identify your needs: Will you be drilling soft woods? Hard steel?
Concrete? Drilling 1/8" or 5/8" holes? Will you be running in hundreds of
2" drywall screws? Lots of self tappers?

If you could rate your intended use on a scale of one to ten, ten being the
worst heaviest use, where would you estimate it?

You have asked an unanswerable question. If you want to cover all bases,
buy a high dollar 18v. DeWalt, and never look back. It will do whatever you
want to do every day you want to do it. But for all the extra $$$ you might
be spending, you could get a lighter drill, a nice pack of bits, a nice
assortment of accessories, etc, and still have some bucks left over.

Your quandary seems to be you don't know what you NEED, and that is the
worst position. If you buy a light one, and burn it up, you might as well
pile your money in an ash tray and set it afire. You'll be back at the
store in a few months buying a heavy one, and getting nothing for the old
one. Take the time now to nail down what you NEED, then it's a simple
matter of shopping price. (as in sales, closeouts, etc.)

If you're going to use this for a long time, think long term, and buy a good
one. You won't be throwing away money and buying another in a year or two.

HTH

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
So if I was to go corded drill which one? Again I am not pro, so I
don't want to overpay.
Thanks

I had a Skil 1/2" that just about twisted my arm off more than a couple of
times. Don't know if the new ones are like that old one, but I sure was
watchful when I got that puppy out of its cage.

STeve

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 9/22/2007 11:29 PM Tony Hwang said the following:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Black & Decker owns:
Black & Decker
DeWalt
Porter-Cable
Delta Machinery
Kwikset (home locks)
Baldwin (home door locks, lighting, hardware)
Weiser Lock ( home door locks)
Price Pfister (faucets)
Emhart Teknologies (fasteners)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 9/23/2007 12:09 AM SteveB said the following:
wrote in message
ups.com...

So if I was to go corded drill which one? Again I am not pro, so I
don't want to overpay.
Thanks

I had a Skil 1/2" that just about twisted my arm off more than a couple of
times. Don't know if the new ones are like that old one, but I sure was
watchful when I got that puppy out of its cage.

STeve

I have an old 1/2" Craftsman that will do the same.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

I thought B&D owns DeWalt or vice versa? Old B&D tools were OK.

Used to be, about 30+ years ago. B & D went from making good quality
professional tools to cheap consumer grade to imported junk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
willshak wrote:

on 9/23/2007 12:09 AM SteveB said the following:
wrote in message
ups.com...

So if I was to go corded drill which one? Again I am not pro, so I
don't want to overpay.
Thanks

I had a Skil 1/2" that just about twisted my arm off more than a couple of
times. Don't know if the new ones are like that old one, but I sure was
watchful when I got that puppy out of its cage.

STeve

I have an old 1/2" Craftsman that will do the same.

Don't most of those 1/2" drills have an extra handle sticking out
radially, for the left hand? My Milwaukee does, and I'll agree it has
plenty of bone-snapping torque.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a numerous Ryobi tools and I like them, they're not made for a
professionals use or for someone who wants to build their own house. But for
the occasional weekend user they are very good. The $75 for reconditioned is
outrageous the new one with charger is only $79. Plus if you want to add
other tools Ryobi has a huge selection of cordless tools, again for the
occasional weekend user.

--
Watch for the bounce.
If ya didn't see it, ya didn't feel it.
wrote in message
ps.com...
As a new homewner I need a drill/driver for occasional weekend use. I
am on the budget $100 but the less I spend the better if quality is
sufficient for my tasks.
The options I've been looking at are
1) 18v Skil 2887, $79 (or 59 refurbished)
2) Panasonik EY6405FQKW, $99
3) Ryobi 18V Reconditioned $75

Any other options? I realize it would be a waste to buy anything pro
in my case. I want the drill to last however. So based on reviews
Panasonic is aa clear winner but does it worth extra $?

Posted to alt.home.repair

After reading most of these replies I'll add my other 2 cents worth. If you
are only going to own one drill a cordless has more versatility than a
corded...

--
Watch for the bounce.
If ya didn't see it, ya didn't feel it.
If ya see it, it didn't go off.
Old Air Force Munitions Saying
wrote in message
ps.com...
As a new homewner I need a drill/driver for occasional weekend use. I
am on the budget $100 but the less I spend the better if quality is
sufficient for my tasks.
The options I've been looking at are
1) 18v Skil 2887, $79 (or 59 refurbished)
2) Panasonik EY6405FQKW, $99
3) Ryobi 18V Reconditioned $75

Any other options? I realize it would be a waste to buy anything pro
in my case. I want the drill to last however. So based on reviews
Panasonic is aa clear winner but does it worth extra $?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Smitty Two" wrote in message

Don't most of those 1/2" drills have an extra handle sticking out
radially, for the left hand? My Milwaukee does, and I'll agree it has
plenty of bone-snapping torque.

Many do, but there are some drills like my Panasonic that has a 1/2"
capacity chuck, but is nothing like the heavy duty corded 1/2" drill you
refer to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"asmurff" wrote in message
After reading most of these replies I'll add my other 2 cents worth. If
you are only going to own one drill a cordless has more versatility than a
corded...

True and the only drills I have today are cordless. Problem is, for someone
that rarely uses a drill, the batteries won't last very long and will be
dead when you need them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

NOT.
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hi,
I thought B&D owns DeWalt or vice versa? NOT!

Old B&D tools were OK. that's true, but not anymore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

NO, it is NOT. NOT NOT NOT.

Wait a minute.

Am I saying yes or no?

MNSHO is that Black and Decker is an average tool for the minimal user, and
is basically a throw away.

YM (and opinion) M (and probably does) V

Steve

"Steve Barker LT" wrote in message
NOT.
"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Hi,
I thought B&D owns DeWalt or vice versa? NOT!

Old B&D tools were OK. that's true, but not anymore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 9/23/2007 2:47 PM Steve Barker LT said the following:
I suppose they own pepsi and coke also. ??

can you provide some documention to this alleged ownership?

I aim to please.
http://www.bdk.com/index.asp
Click on 'Our Companies' in the bar.

"willshak" wrote in message

Black & Decker owns:
Black & Decker
DeWalt
Porter-Cable
Delta Machinery
Kwikset (home locks)
Baldwin (home door locks, lighting, hardware)
Weiser Lock ( home door locks)
Price Pfister (faucets) Emhart Teknologies (fasteners)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 22 Sep, 23:29, Tony Hwang wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I thought B&D owns DeWalt or vice versa? Old B&D tools were OK.- Hide quoted text -

-- I thought B&D owns DeWalt or vice versa?

They do. But why does that matter in terms of what the B&D salesperson
told my wife?

Ford sells Neons and Ford sells F-350's. If my wife was looking at a
Neon for me and told the salesman I'm used to driving F-350's, I'd
hope (and expect) that the salesman would steer her away from the
Neon. I might actually go back to a saleman that understood my needs
and didn't try to sell me (or the wife) something just to make the
sale.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Ford does not sell Neon. Dodge 'used' to sell Neon. The Neon was
replaced by the Dodge Caliber.

If my wife was looking at a
Neon for me and told the salesman I'm used to driving F-350's, I'd
hope (and expect) that the salesman would steer her away from the
Neon. I might actually go back to a saleman that understood my needs
and didn't try to sell me (or the wife) something just to make the
sale.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY