Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default help me to choose a drill on a budget

On Sep 22, 10:52 am, wrote:
As a new homewner I need a drill/driver for occasional weekend use. I
am on the budget $100 but the less I spend the better if quality is
sufficient for my tasks.
The options I've been looking at are
1) 18v Skil 2887, $79 (or 59 refurbished)
2) Panasonik EY6405FQKW, $99
3) Ryobi 18V Reconditioned $75

Any other options? I realize it would be a waste to buy anything pro
in my case. I want the drill to last however. So based on reviews
Panasonic is aa clear winner but does it worth extra $?

"occasional weekend use"

What will these "occasional" uses be?

Many here have suggested a corded model which might make sense if your
occasional use won't be on a ladder 2 stories up. In other words,
think about what you will be using the drill for and picture that use
with an extension cord in the mix.

Oh yeah - If you go corded, make sure your drill budget includes the
cost of a decent gauge exterior-use extension cord that either
includes or can reach a GFCI outlet if you plan to use the drill
outdoors.

My drills? A 20+ YO corded Skil 599 Xtra-Tool Hammer drill and a
Dewalt DC759 18V drill. The *only* time I use the Skil is if I need a
hammer drill which lately has only been a few times a year. I use the
Dewalt for everything from removing outlets to mixing paint. On
occasion I'll even drill a hole with it. ;-)

BTW - I also bought the Dewalt circular saw and flashlight - tools
only - for use with the 18V batteries.