Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob M. Bob M. is offline

Default help me to choose a drill on a budget

wrote in message
ps.com...
As a new homewner I need a drill/driver for occasional weekend use. I
am on the budget $100 but the less I spend the better if quality is
sufficient for my tasks.

Get a corded drill. For the price you want to pay, they're better. You can
find a pretty decent one for $50-60 or so and it will last many many years.
I believe the Makita drills have replaceable brushes, so for $5 every 10 or
20 years, you can keep the drill going.

However, most corded drills don't have a "pistol" grip like the battery
powered drills do. Corded drills have the grip at the end of the drill,
which (IMO) isn't as good as the battery powered drills since it's not
properly balanced.

Yes the cord can be a hassle, but for a drill it doesn't need to be the
heavy-duty kind. In fact even 'light-duty' would do the job just fine.