Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default help me to choose a drill on a budget

wrote in message
ps.com...
As a new homewner I need a drill/driver for occasional weekend use. I
am on the budget $100 but the less I spend the better if quality is
sufficient for my tasks.
The options I've been looking at are
1) 18v Skil 2887, $79 (or 59 refurbished)
2) Panasonik EY6405FQKW, $99
3) Ryobi 18V Reconditioned $75

Any other options? I realize it would be a waste to buy anything pro
in my case. I want the drill to last however. So based on reviews
Panasonic is aa clear winner but does it worth extra $?

First, identify your needs: Will you be drilling soft woods? Hard steel?
Concrete? Drilling 1/8" or 5/8" holes? Will you be running in hundreds of
2" drywall screws? Lots of self tappers?

If you could rate your intended use on a scale of one to ten, ten being the
worst heaviest use, where would you estimate it?

You have asked an unanswerable question. If you want to cover all bases,
buy a high dollar 18v. DeWalt, and never look back. It will do whatever you
want to do every day you want to do it. But for all the extra $$$ you might
be spending, you could get a lighter drill, a nice pack of bits, a nice
assortment of accessories, etc, and still have some bucks left over.

Your quandary seems to be you don't know what you NEED, and that is the
worst position. If you buy a light one, and burn it up, you might as well
pile your money in an ash tray and set it afire. You'll be back at the
store in a few months buying a heavy one, and getting nothing for the old
one. Take the time now to nail down what you NEED, then it's a simple
matter of shopping price. (as in sales, closeouts, etc.)

If you're going to use this for a long time, think long term, and buy a good
one. You won't be throwing away money and buying another in a year or two.

HTH

Steve