C Carruth

Default wood suggestions / budget drill recommendations

First, I am making the carcass frame and top for a workbench out of red oak,
but thought of having some different type of plywood for the case itself to
give it some visual appeal. Any suggestions on what looks good with red oak,
taking into account grain and color?

Second, I am returning a HF radial drill press (long story) and need a
replacement that is not too much different in price, but different in
quality. (yea, I know, pick one or the other, not both) Either floor or
bench is ok, radial feature not necessary, and would prefer to deal with
local stores versus mail order. Any suggestions?

bs

You can get oak veneer plywood along with many other veneers but if your
budget is limited, think of staining it so the tone is the same for the
different species used.

To offer more help, it would be nice if you gave us some more clues:

1. What price range are you considering for a drill press?
2. Where is local? What stores are available to you?

"C Carruth" wrote in message
. ..
First, I am making the carcass frame and top for a workbench out of red

oak,
but thought of having some different type of plywood for the case itself

give it some visual appeal. Any suggestions on what looks good with red

oak,
taking into account grain and color?

Second, I am returning a HF radial drill press (long story) and need a
replacement that is not too much different in price, but different in
quality. (yea, I know, pick one or the other, not both) Either floor or
bench is ok, radial feature not necessary, and would prefer to deal with
local stores versus mail order. Any suggestions?

Gfretwell

You can get oak veneer plywood along with many other veneers but if your
budget is limited, think of staining it so the tone is the same for the
different species used.

I bought some oak veneer plywood at the Borg but I discovered the "back" side
looked better than the featureless oak on the front. With a "natural" minwax
stain and poly my wife preferred the back to the front when choosing which side
should go out on a wall mounted secretary desk I was building for her. I
suspect that was garden variety birch or something.
John Thomas

"C Carruth" wrote in
:

Second, I am returning a HF radial drill press (long story) and need
a replacement that is not too much different in price, but different
in quality. (yea, I know, pick one or the other, not both) Either
floor or bench is ok, radial feature not necessary, and would prefer
to deal with local stores versus mail order. Any suggestions?

If you go the bench route, at least get one with a rack/pinion table
movement.

I have the little 8" HF, and it's ok for what it is, but moving that
table is a real PITA.

Were it me, to do over again, I'd get a floor model (grizzly maybe?)
they're really not that much more, and don't take up that much floor
space.

Regards,
JT