Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gorilla Glue

Does anyone have any experience with Gorilla glue? I'm repair an
antique and need to glue some blocks on the bottom of it for the
casters. I only want to use glue because that's what was used
originally and I want to keep it as original as possible. Just
wondering if the glue will hold or is there a better alternative.

Thanks,

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with Gorilla glue? I'm repair an
antique and need to glue some blocks on the bottom of it for the
casters. I only want to use glue because that's what was used
originally and I want to keep it as original as possible. Just
wondering if the glue will hold or is there a better alternative.

Yes and it (like all of the polyurethanes) sucks for the purpose...

I foams and while it will certainly hold (although tests in FWW and
elsewhere show that it isn't as strong as good ol' yellow glue) the only
reason to use it would be for a location that needs the waterproof
characteristic...

It certainly doesn't fit on keeping an antique "as original as possible".

Depending on how antique an antique this is and whether it was machine-
or hand-manufactured, the likely candidates would be hide glue or one of
the early manufactured glues if factory-produced.

For repair and conservation work, folks tend to use the hide glues as
they can be removed if necessary for further restoration or repair in
the future.

If you're really concerned to that level of detail, that would be my
recommendation. If you're seriously thinking of using Gorilla glue,
though, that doesn't sound like the case so just get some yellow
carpenters glue and use that. Make the area to be glued clean and dry
and a glue block can be fitted simply by rubbing it in place until the
glue "sticks" and it will hold w/ a bond as strong as the wood or
stronger if clean and surfaces fit smoothly.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

jJim McLaughlin wrote:
wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with Gorilla glue? I'm repair an
antique and need to glue some blocks on the bottom of it for the
casters. I only want to use glue because that's what was used
originally and I want to keep it as original as possible. Just
wondering if the glue will hold or is there a better alternative.

Thanks,

My experience has been that the Gorilla Glue is stronger than any wood
to which I have applied it. Its strong stuff. The moisture ressance after
cure is helpful.

I've had equally good experience with aliphatic resin glues and I suspect
Gorilla Glue is just a variation on one of these.

Even Elmer's carpenters glue is equally strong ...

Gorilla glue is a polyurethane...

Somewhat surprisingly, in the glue test FWW did a couple of months ago,
the polyurethane came in at an average strength of 58% of that of the
Type I pva which was the strongest. That said, most of the joint
failures tested with all glues were either wood or wood/glue combined
failures with only a small fraction of the loose-fitting joints being
100% glue failure. But, of those which were, the polyurethane was the
largest number.

Cleanup of the water soluble glues is much simpler than the
polyurethanes which need acetone or another solvent and the foaming
characteristic is a major detriment to their use in my book for anything
not absolutely requiring the waterproof (as opposed to water resistant)
characteristic.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Sep 15, 10:38 am, "
wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with Gorilla glue? I'm repair an
antique and need to glue some blocks on the bottom of it for the
casters. I only want to use glue because that's what was used
originally and I want to keep it as original as possible. Just
wondering if the glue will hold or is there a better alternative.

Thanks,

Not that it relates to your intended usage, but here's my experience
with it. I used it on several items made from pressure treated wood,
said items sat outside on the ground. All the glued joints came apart
within a year. Don't know if the problem was the glue, the PT wood, or
the ground contact, but it sure didn't work like I expected.

Red

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
message ps.com...
Does anyone have any experience with Gorilla glue? I'm repair an
antique and need to glue some blocks on the bottom of it for the
casters. I only want to use glue because that's what was used
originally and I want to keep it as original as possible. Just
wondering if the glue will hold or is there a better alternative.

To get a good joint, both surfaces have to be flat and smooth. And it would
be nice to be able to clamp them after application.
I am guessing that the bottom of your legs are not flat, and you probably
can't clamp either.
On the other hand, this sounds like a pretty low stress situation, so a
great joint isn't necessary.

Gorilla glue will fill gaps and does not need to be clamped. However it
will not be very strong under those circumstances. But, it might well work
for your purpose. Unfortunately it also foams out the side of the joint,
and the foam is hard to get off without sanding. That might make it
inappropriate.

I would use epoxy. It fills gaps, doesn't need to be clamped, and doesn't
foam. It is expensive.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red wrote in
ups.com:

On Sep 15, 10:38 am, "
wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with Gorilla glue? I'm repair an
antique and need to glue some blocks on the bottom of it for the
casters. I only want to use glue because that's what was used
originally and I want to keep it as original as possible. Just
wondering if the glue will hold or is there a better alternative.

Thanks,

Not that it relates to your intended usage, but here's my experience
with it. I used it on several items made from pressure treated wood,
said items sat outside on the ground. All the glued joints came apart
within a year. Don't know if the problem was the glue, the PT wood, or
the ground contact, but it sure didn't work like I expected.

Red

PT wood does not absorb glue like untreated wood.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 08:38:55 -0700,
" wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with Gorilla glue? I'm repair an
antique and need to glue some blocks on the bottom of it for the
casters. I only want to use glue because that's what was used
originally and I want to keep it as original as possible. Just
wondering if the glue will hold or is there a better alternative.

Thanks,

You didnt mention if the place you're gluing the blocks to had been
previously finished. Neither gorilla glue nor yellow glue will stick
well to a finished surface. They both need a clean, raw, wood to wood
contact to work well. If thats what you have, I'd use yellow glue
before I'd consider gorilla glue.

-dickm
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 15, 11:38 am, "
wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with Gorilla glue? I'm repair an
antique and need to glue some blocks on the bottom of it for the
casters. I only want to use glue because that's what was used
originally and I want to keep it as original as possible. Just
wondering if the glue will hold or is there a better alternative.

Thanks,

The glue will hold . Sand the bottom and wet the surfaces (damp)
before using the glue. It must be clamped as the glue will foam. Once
hard. cut and sand the foam off and stain /fimish the area.

The glue is very agressive but is a excellemt product. Other products
will work as well. You did not indicate the type of antique you are
gluing to and how it will be used with teh casters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cleanup of the water soluble glues is much simpler than the polyurethanes
which need acetone or another solvent and the foaming characteristic is a
major detriment to their use in my book for anything not absolutely
requiring the waterproof (as opposed to water resistant) characteristic.

Actually, once the "poly u" glues set, the only way to remove the stuff is
by mechanical means (scraping, sanding). If you don't use the acetone
within a few minutes of getting it on your fingers it will have to be peeled
off.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

John Gilmer wrote:
Cleanup of the water soluble glues is much simpler than the polyurethanes
which need acetone or another solvent and the foaming characteristic is a
major detriment to their use in my book for anything not absolutely
requiring the waterproof (as opposed to water resistant) characteristic.

Actually, once the "poly u" glues set, the only way to remove the stuff is
by mechanical means (scraping, sanding). If you don't use the acetone
within a few minutes of getting it on your fingers it will have to be peeled
off.

Well, yes, once pva glue sets it takes more than just a wet cloth to
clean up squeeze out. So???

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Red wrote:
On Sep 15, 10:38 am, "
wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with Gorilla glue? I'm repair an
antique and need to glue some blocks on the bottom of it for the
casters. I only want to use glue because that's what was used
originally and I want to keep it as original as possible. Just
wondering if the glue will hold or is there a better alternative.

Thanks,

Not that it relates to your intended usage, but here's my experience
with it. I used it on several items made from pressure treated wood,
said items sat outside on the ground. All the glued joints came apart
within a year. Don't know if the problem was the glue, the PT wood, or
the ground contact, but it sure didn't work like I expected.

Hard to say w/ no more information as to how the joints were
constructed, loadings, etc., but my guess would be that unless the
mating surfaces were prepared to expose fresh wood and unless the
material was either kiln-dried initially or allowed to dry before
assembly the treatment would be the prime culprit. However, the actual
strength of the polyurethane glue in the FWW test was, as noted, quite a
bit less than for any of the others in their physical strength tests and
most particularly where the joints were made specifically to be somewhat
loose to test the "gap-filling" ability. In that case, rather than
having only about 60% on average of the strength of the top-rated PVA,
it was only about 25-30% in a direct comparison of similar joint
construction and woods.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Sep 15, 5:34 pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
Red wrote roups.com:

On Sep 15, 10:38 am, "
wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with Gorilla glue? I'm repair an
antique and need to glue some blocks on the bottom of it for the
casters. I only want to use glue because that's what was used
originally and I want to keep it as original as possible. Just
wondering if the glue will hold or is there a better alternative.

Thanks,

Not that it relates to your intended usage, but here's my experience
with it. I used it on several items made from pressure treated wood,
said items sat outside on the ground. All the glued joints came apart
within a year. Don't know if the problem was the glue, the PT wood, or
the ground contact, but it sure didn't work like I expected.

Red

PT wood does not absorb glue like untreated wood.

It sure does a good job of absorbing water. And since
you moisten the surfaces prior to applying gorilla glue,
I thought the glue would follow the moisture into the
wood grain. Apparently not.

Red

Gorilla Glue vs. Elmers Ultimate Glue Polyurethane? blueman Home Repair 7 January 23rd 20 02:44 PM
Elmers Ultimate Glue or Gorilla Glue - TIA Happiness is Woodworking 8 October 11th 06 06:19 PM
Gorilla glue Gene Woodworking 7 April 4th 06 11:28 AM
How to use gorilla glue toller Woodworking 7 December 16th 04 02:56 PM
Gorilla Glue Brad Woodworking 16 July 17th 03 01:48 AM