Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Gorilla Glue

wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with Gorilla glue? I'm repair an
antique and need to glue some blocks on the bottom of it for the
casters. I only want to use glue because that's what was used
originally and I want to keep it as original as possible. Just
wondering if the glue will hold or is there a better alternative.

Yes and it (like all of the polyurethanes) sucks for the purpose...

I foams and while it will certainly hold (although tests in FWW and
elsewhere show that it isn't as strong as good ol' yellow glue) the only
reason to use it would be for a location that needs the waterproof
characteristic...

It certainly doesn't fit on keeping an antique "as original as possible".

Depending on how antique an antique this is and whether it was machine-
or hand-manufactured, the likely candidates would be hide glue or one of
the early manufactured glues if factory-produced.

For repair and conservation work, folks tend to use the hide glues as
they can be removed if necessary for further restoration or repair in
the future.

If you're really concerned to that level of detail, that would be my
recommendation. If you're seriously thinking of using Gorilla glue,
though, that doesn't sound like the case so just get some yellow
carpenters glue and use that. Make the area to be glued clean and dry
and a glue block can be fitted simply by rubbing it in place until the
glue "sticks" and it will hold w/ a bond as strong as the wood or
stronger if clean and surfaces fit smoothly.