Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Gorilla Glue

Red wrote:
On Sep 15, 10:38 am, "
wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with Gorilla glue? I'm repair an
antique and need to glue some blocks on the bottom of it for the
casters. I only want to use glue because that's what was used
originally and I want to keep it as original as possible. Just
wondering if the glue will hold or is there a better alternative.

Thanks,

Not that it relates to your intended usage, but here's my experience
with it. I used it on several items made from pressure treated wood,
said items sat outside on the ground. All the glued joints came apart
within a year. Don't know if the problem was the glue, the PT wood, or
the ground contact, but it sure didn't work like I expected.

Hard to say w/ no more information as to how the joints were
constructed, loadings, etc., but my guess would be that unless the
mating surfaces were prepared to expose fresh wood and unless the
material was either kiln-dried initially or allowed to dry before
assembly the treatment would be the prime culprit. However, the actual
strength of the polyurethane glue in the FWW test was, as noted, quite a
bit less than for any of the others in their physical strength tests and
most particularly where the joints were made specifically to be somewhat
loose to test the "gap-filling" ability. In that case, rather than
having only about 60% on average of the strength of the top-rated PVA,
it was only about 25-30% in a direct comparison of similar joint
construction and woods.