Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How would one attach an electrical box to stone foundation

My house was built in 1848. I was wondering what I would do to put an outlet
on the wall of the stone foundation. I have put them on block but I feel a
little leary of trying to drill holes in the rocks of a stone foundation.
Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Shane

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "gorehound" wrote:
My house was built in 1848. I was wondering what I would do to put an outlet
on the wall of the stone foundation. I have put them on block but I feel a
little leary of trying to drill holes in the rocks of a stone foundation.
Anyone have any ideas?

Drill into the mortar, then attach the box using either TapCon screws, or
regular sheet metal screws with lead or plastic anchor inserts. (Lead's the
better choice, IMO, if you can find them.)

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

gorehound wrote:
My house was built in 1848. I was wondering what I would do to put an outlet
on the wall of the stone foundation. I have put them on block but I feel a
little leary of trying to drill holes in the rocks of a stone foundation.
Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Shane

I'd personally mount a 2x6 to the wall and mount the handy box (actually
use a 4" square box, makes things much easier) to that. Of course, that
prompts the question, "how do you mount a 2x6 to a stone wall" which
probably doesn't help you any...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gorehound" wrote in message
My house was built in 1848. I was wondering what I would do to put an
outlet on the wall of the stone foundation. I have put them on block but
I feel a little leary of trying to drill holes in the rocks of a stone
foundation. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Shane

this is where I am leary, would the hammering from the hammerdrill loosen
the surrounding mortar (or what ever they used in 1848)?

Thanks for the replies.
Shane

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gorehound" wrote in message
My house was built in 1848. I was wondering what I would do to put an
outlet on the wall of the stone foundation. I have put them on block but
I feel a little leary of trying to drill holes in the rocks of a stone
foundation. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Shane

this is where I am leary, would the hammering from the hammerdrill loosen
the surrounding mortar (or what ever they used in 1848)?

Thanks for the replies.
Shane

How about a glass-drilling bit? (it's not a hammer bit) I've used one
to drill thick porcelain floor tile. If it'll cut through that, stone
blocks should be easy. Put a lead anchor in to hold the screw.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

gorehound wrote:

snip

this is where I am leary, would the hammering from the hammerdrill loosen
the surrounding mortar (or what ever they used in 1848)?

Thanks for the replies.
Shane

Highly likely unless the stone is huge and the hammer drill is puny.
I've had mortar give up on 30 year old blocks trying to get a small
hole for a gas line. A regular drill with a diamond bit (think Harbor
freight) and an epoxied wood plug would be my choice. Old lime mortar
doesn't have the high strength of today's products. HYH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
gorehound wrote:
My house was built in 1848. I was wondering what I would do to put an
outlet on the wall of the stone foundation. I have put them on block but
I feel a little leary of trying to drill holes in the rocks of a stone
foundation. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Shane

I'd personally mount a 2x6 to the wall and mount the handy box (actually
use a 4" square box, makes things much easier) to that. Of course, that
prompts the question, "how do you mount a 2x6 to a stone wall" which
probably doesn't help you any...

I was gonna say a square of 3/4 plywood construction-adhesived to the wall,
and screw to that. What I'd probably do is the same way you hang telephone
patch panels- hang a flat panel like a curtain, in this case from the sill
plate, using a standoff block if needed. For a single outlet, a 1x6 would
probably work. You could even add a rot-proof metal foot to the bottom, and
do a jam-fit against the floor. No way would I disturb that old mortar- the
stone foundations I have seen, that stuff disintegrates if you look at it
wrong. Some foundations, it is more like a stacked-stone fence with a
slightly limed chinking mud.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 30, 5:07 pm, "gorehound" wrote:
My house was built in 1848. I was wondering what I would do to put an outlet
on the wall of the stone foundation. I have put them on block but I feel a
little leary of trying to drill holes in the rocks of a stone foundation.
Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Shane

I mounted a single switch box to a block wall around 20 years ago. It
is still there. All I did was glop a bunch of Liquid Nails (TM) onto
the back and stick it to the block. Propped it in place overnight
till the LN dried.

The LN bonded to the block and the box plus extended into small screw
holes in the box making 'keys'.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 30, 10:36�pm, Harry K wrote:
On Apr 30, 5:07 pm, "gorehound" wrote:

My house was built in 1848. I was wondering what I would do to put an outlet
on the wall of the stone foundation. I have put them on block but I feel a
little leary of trying to drill holes in the rocks of a stone foundation.
Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Shane

I mounted a single switch box to a block wall around 20 years ago. *It
is still there. *All I did was glop a bunch of Liquid Nails (TM) onto
the back and stick it to the block. *Propped it in place overnight
till the LN dried.

The LN bonded to the block and the box plus extended into small screw
holes in the box making 'keys'.

Harry K

how about a outlet in a weatherproof box mounted on a short piece of
conduit concreted in ground.

you drill thru foundation below ground, use direct burial cable, and
dont have to mess with the foundation but still have a outlet.

I installed one like this near my driveway in the late 70s for working
on vehicles and yard clean up. the pipe inally rotted off a couple
years ago so I added a pile of cement around it, and its as good as
new.

amazing how time flies............

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 20:07:34 -0400, "gorehound"
wrote:

My house was built in 1848. I was wondering what I would do to put an outlet
on the wall of the stone foundation. I have put them on block but I feel a
little leary of trying to drill holes in the rocks of a stone foundation.
Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Shane

If not now, some day you're going to have an old house question you
need to be answered by an old house guy. Make friends with someone
like that or join a club. If you don't know where to start, ask the
curator of some historic home that age, or just knock on the door of a
house that looks that age. He'll be glad to show you around and tell
you who he consults with.

He'll probably even admit it if he doesn't know what he's doing or if
he's made mistakes, but maybe not so don't rely 100% until you have
some experience. If he has a clearly good method, you can judge
yourself.