Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default How would one attach an electrical box to stone foundation

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
gorehound wrote:
My house was built in 1848. I was wondering what I would do to put an
outlet on the wall of the stone foundation. I have put them on block but
I feel a little leary of trying to drill holes in the rocks of a stone
foundation. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Shane

I'd personally mount a 2x6 to the wall and mount the handy box (actually
use a 4" square box, makes things much easier) to that. Of course, that
prompts the question, "how do you mount a 2x6 to a stone wall" which
probably doesn't help you any...

I was gonna say a square of 3/4 plywood construction-adhesived to the wall,
and screw to that. What I'd probably do is the same way you hang telephone
patch panels- hang a flat panel like a curtain, in this case from the sill
plate, using a standoff block if needed. For a single outlet, a 1x6 would
probably work. You could even add a rot-proof metal foot to the bottom, and
do a jam-fit against the floor. No way would I disturb that old mortar- the
stone foundations I have seen, that stuff disintegrates if you look at it
wrong. Some foundations, it is more like a stacked-stone fence with a
slightly limed chinking mud.

aem sends...