blueman

Default How to secure framing to stone foundation

We are looking to replace the basement door in our circa 1800
house. We need to frame out the door space by securing wood studs and
headers to the stone foundation (probably granite).
Note there is not much good concrete between the stones that can be
used for holding nails or screws.

Most of the stuff I see on the Net is about nailing or screwing into
either concrete or brick, but not stone.

What is the best way to attach wood to *stone*?
- Drilling - if so would a regular hammer drill and masonry bit work?
- Nailing with one of those Remington-style cartridge guns?
- Adding additional concrete to serve either as "glue" or anchoring
material for the new studs?
- Other?

I am looking for something that a DIY can do.
Tony Hwang

blueman wrote:
We are looking to replace the basement door in our circa 1800
house. We need to frame out the door space by securing wood studs and
headers to the stone foundation (probably granite).
Note there is not much good concrete between the stones that can be
used for holding nails or screws.

Most of the stuff I see on the Net is about nailing or screwing into
either concrete or brick, but not stone.

What is the best way to attach wood to *stone*?
- Drilling - if so would a regular hammer drill and masonry bit work?
- Nailing with one of those Remington-style cartridge guns?
- Adding additional concrete to serve either as "glue" or anchoring
material for the new studs?
- Other?

I am looking for something that a DIY can do.

Hi,
some sort of adhesive?
Tony
DanG

Avoid PAT units (powder actuated tools) There is too much
possibility of shattering off the piece of stone that you want to
fasten to.

A good commercial hammer drill will make short work of drilling
into the stone. Buy the anchors that you intend to use before you
start. Look at these :

http://www.powers.com/mechanical.html

wedge bolts work well with an impact gun
wall dogs and tappers work with strong variable speed
drills/screwguns/battery drills.
Expansion anchors work well with sockets or Crescent type
wrenches.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"blueman" wrote in message
[...]

Edwin Pawlowski

"blueman" wrote in message
We are looking to replace the basement door in our circa 1800
house. We need to frame out the door space by securing wood studs and
headers to the stone foundation (probably granite).
Note there is not much good concrete between the stones that can be
used for holding nails or screws.

Drill into the stone and use anchors. Many types and sizes available. You
may want to rent a hammer drill also. If the stone is uneven, use mortar to
fill in the voids.

Foggy

"blueman" wrote in message
We are looking to replace the basement door in our circa 1800
house. We need to frame out the door space by securing wood studs and
headers to the stone foundation (probably granite).
Note there is not much good concrete between the stones that can be
used for holding nails or screws.

Most of the stuff I see on the Net is about nailing or screwing into
either concrete or brick, but not stone.

What is the best way to attach wood to *stone*?
- Drilling - if so would a regular hammer drill and masonry bit work?
- Nailing with one of those Remington-style cartridge guns?
- Adding additional concrete to serve either as "glue" or anchoring
material for the new studs?
- Other?

I am looking for something that a DIY can do.

If kid don't stop talkin' so much he'll get his tongue sunburned.

blueman wrote:

What is the best way to attach wood to *stone*?

You might try a can of spray foam.

Nick

effi

"blueman" wrote in message
We are looking to replace the basement door in our circa 1800
house. We need to frame out the door space by securing wood studs and
headers to the stone foundation (probably granite).
Note there is not much good concrete between the stones that can be
used for holding nails or screws.

Most of the stuff I see on the Net is about nailing or screwing into
either concrete or brick, but not stone.

What is the best way to attach wood to *stone*?
- Drilling - if so would a regular hammer drill and masonry bit work?
- Nailing with one of those Remington-style cartridge guns?
- Adding additional concrete to serve either as "glue" or anchoring
material for the new studs?
- Other?

I am looking for something that a DIY can do.

have an expert look at it in person and advise you

the type of stone needs to be identified

etc.