hanson

Default Repointing 1875 field stone foundation

There are holes in the foundation to the outside through which I can
put my fist, or my flat hand!

What proporation of portland cement, sand, and lime(?) should I use???
Or should I just buy some pre-mixed material from a big box store.
Thanks for your thoughts, as I have not idea what to buy!

(Retype) I used mortar on my river-rock porch, that was 10 years ago, I
had no money and didn't know any better but it's fine still. Do more
reading up on it.

John Grabowski

I saw on a home improvement show once that the correct way to determine your
pointing mix is to have samples of the existing mortar taken from different
sections of the masonry. Make sure that you label the samples and the
locations from where they came from. You take the samples to a lab and they
will tell you the correct proportions of mix to use for each location.

"hanson" wrote in message
oups.com...
There are holes in the foundation to the outside through which I can
put my fist, or my flat hand!

What proporation of portland cement, sand, and lime(?) should I use???
Or should I just buy some pre-mixed material from a big box store.
Thanks for your thoughts, as I have not idea what to buy!

DanG

A fairly standard mortar mix would be

one part Portland / one part lime / 5 parts sand

or

one part masonry cement / 5 parts sand

masonry cement is a blend of Portland and lime.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"hanson" wrote in message
oups.com...
There are holes in the foundation to the outside through which I
can
put my fist, or my flat hand!

What proporation of portland cement, sand, and lime(?) should I
use???
Or should I just buy some pre-mixed material from a big box
store.
Thanks for your thoughts, as I have not idea what to buy!

Trekking Tom

On 8 Nov 2005 16:21:07 -0800, "hanson"
wrote:

There are holes in the foundation to the outside through which I can
put my fist, or my flat hand!

What proporation of portland cement, sand, and lime(?) should I use???
Or should I just buy some pre-mixed material from a big box store.
Thanks for your thoughts, as I have not idea what to buy!

Many of these old masonry places never had any portland in them. Look
at the materials available locally, it's probably what they used. The
sand color also makes a difference if you want a perfect match.

Tom