John Grabowski

Default Repointing 1875 field stone foundation

I saw on a home improvement show once that the correct way to determine your
pointing mix is to have samples of the existing mortar taken from different
sections of the masonry. Make sure that you label the samples and the
locations from where they came from. You take the samples to a lab and they
will tell you the correct proportions of mix to use for each location.

"hanson" wrote in message
oups.com...
There are holes in the foundation to the outside through which I can
put my fist, or my flat hand!

What proporation of portland cement, sand, and lime(?) should I use???
Or should I just buy some pre-mixed material from a big box store.
Thanks for your thoughts, as I have not idea what to buy!