Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cleaning Paint Rollers

I have been remodeling most of my house, and whenever I am rolling on
interior paint I always get bits of roller in the paint. It is
rididulously frustrating to see a dry wall with little fibers sticking
out of it. I have switched to a nicer roller since, but it leaves a
different texture (if you look at it closely). Any suggestions for the
best roller out there to use??? And is the more efficient way to
cleaning it other than hot water and 15 minutes??

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 12, 5:37 pm, "Paul" wrote:
I have been remodeling most of my house, and whenever I am rolling on
interior paint I always get bits of roller in the paint. It is
rididulously frustrating to see a dry wall with little fibers sticking
out of it. I have switched to a nicer roller since, but it leaves a
different texture (if you look at it closely). Any suggestions for the
best roller out there to use??? And is the more efficient way to
cleaning it other than hot water and 15 minutes??

Buy the best roller covers, the ones with the cores that look like
phenolic (plastic). You want to treat a good roller cover like a good
brush. Store the wet roller in a large zip lock freezer bag between
coats, clean it meticulously after each use, spin the roller clean and
let it dry. When you think it's clean, clean it again. A five-in-one
painter's tool makes cleaning a roller cover go much faster. The
pump-action spinner (don't get excited Don - it's not a shotgun) is
also a must.
http://acmehardware.com/Paint-and-Pa.../Purdy-755100/ I spin
the cover once during cleaning and once at the end to get it almost
dry.

Unlike a brush, a roller cover must be cleaned before use. Wash it
well and scrape off any loose fibers - they're what make the first
couple of coats look like hell. No one likes furry walls. I trim the
ends cover and cut off the fibers at a 45 degree angle with a scissors
to take off the excess fiber - that's what causes most of the "rope"
(paint buildup along the outer edges of the roller's path).

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article om, "Paul" wrote:
I have been remodeling most of my house, and whenever I am rolling on
interior paint I always get bits of roller in the paint. It is
rididulously frustrating to see a dry wall with little fibers sticking
out of it.

Vacuum it first.

[...]

And is the more efficient way to
cleaning it other than hot water and 15 minutes??

Just throw it away.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Paul wrote:
snip

I have switched to a nicer roller since, but it leaves a
different texture (if you look at it closely).

snip

Tried out Floetrol additive on a recent large paint project, and the
improvement in finish on the (ahem) low cost latex was very surprising.
Most paint departments will have quarts or gallons of it in stock. With
a good roller with the proper nap and Floetrol you ought to get a nice
smooth result. Sometimes going to a lower gloss, like eggshell intead
of semi-gloss will be more pleasing. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Joe wrote:
Paul wrote:
snip

I have switched to a nicer roller since, but it leaves a
different texture (if you look at it closely).

snip

Tried out Floetrol additive on a recent large paint project, and the
improvement in finish on the (ahem) low cost latex was very surprising.
Most paint departments will have quarts or gallons of it in stock. With
a good roller with the proper nap and Floetrol you ought to get a nice
smooth result. Sometimes going to a lower gloss, like eggshell intead
of semi-gloss will be more pleasing. HTH

Joe

Rico's & Joe's suggestions are great. The only thing I would add
is.......

I "de-fuzz" the roller covers running them over some making tape.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Paul wrote:
And is the more efficient way to cleaning it other than hot water and 15 minutes??

Paul

I picked up a gadget a couple of years ago that works really good. Its
shaped like a large donut and screws on a garden hose. The roller cover
tightly passes through the center hole while center pin holes force
water deep into the knap of the roller. A couple of passes and the
roller is very clean. One of those "now why didn't I think of that"
items.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Paul" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have been remodeling most of my house, and whenever I am rolling on
interior paint I always get bits of roller in the paint. It is
rididulously frustrating to see a dry wall with little fibers sticking
out of it. I have switched to a nicer roller since, but it leaves a
different texture (if you look at it closely). Any suggestions for the
best roller out there to use??? And is the more efficient way to
cleaning it other than hot water and 15 minutes??

Use a woven roller, not a knit one. Also make sure it has beveled edges.
Purdy White Dove is a good quality roller.

Do not clean rollers. Simply roll them up in plastic wrap and throw them
away. If you intend to use it over a period of a few days, then roll it up
well in plastic wrap and leave it in the refrigerator over night. Some
people skimp on rollers, and then to add to that go to the trouble of
cleaning them. If you think about this in the grand scheme of things, this
is a waste of time. 15 minutes of your time is ridiculous for a $3 roller
(Purdy), let alone the cheap one you're using now. It's better for the
environment to throw them away without cleaning too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob" wrote in message
oups.com...

Paul wrote:
And is the more efficient way to cleaning it other than hot water and 15

minutes??

Paul

I picked up a gadget a couple of years ago that works really good. Its
shaped like a large donut and screws on a garden hose. The roller cover
tightly passes through the center hole while center pin holes force
water deep into the knap of the roller. A couple of passes and the
roller is very clean. One of those "now why didn't I think of that"
items.

I picked one of those up from the free box at a garage sale. Now I know what
it is.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...

Unlike a brush, a roller cover must be cleaned before use. Wash it
well and scrape off any loose fibers - they're what make the first
couple of coats look like hell. No one likes furry walls. I trim the
ends cover and cut off the fibers at a 45 degree angle with a scissors
to take off the excess fiber - that's what causes most of the "rope"
(paint buildup along the outer edges of the roller's path).

Again, none of this is necessary with a quality roller such as Purdy White
Dove.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...

Tried out Floetrol additive on a recent large paint project, and the
improvement in finish on the (ahem) low cost latex was very surprising.
Most paint departments will have quarts or gallons of it in stock. With
a good roller with the proper nap and Floetrol you ought to get a nice
smooth result.

If a smooth finish is what you want, go with Sherwin Williams Cashmere.
There may be others that do the same thing, I don't know.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I never clean roller covers.

Just finished painting my 3,200 sqft house with a manual roller. Took me two
weeks, part time, including preparation. I used one roller frame and cover.
When stopping work for any length of time, or overnite, I soaked the roller
in paint and wrapped the roller and frame tightly in a grocery type plastic
bag.

This keeps the roller wet and workable for at least 3 days. After I
finished painting the house, I threw away the roller cover. No cleanup.
--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"Paul" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have been remodeling most of my house, and whenever I am rolling on
interior paint I always get bits of roller in the paint. It is
rididulously frustrating to see a dry wall with little fibers sticking
out of it. I have switched to a nicer roller since, but it leaves a
different texture (if you look at it closely). Any suggestions for the
best roller out there to use??? And is the more efficient way to
cleaning it other than hot water and 15 minutes??

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Paul" wrote in message
ps.com...
I have been remodeling most of my house, and whenever I am rolling on
interior paint I always get bits of roller in the paint. It is
rididulously frustrating to see a dry wall with little fibers sticking
out of it. I have switched to a nicer roller since, but it leaves a
different texture (if you look at it closely). Any suggestions for the
best roller out there to use??? And is the more efficient way to
cleaning it other than hot water and 15 minutes??

I start cleaning rollers in the laundry tub. Run the water and roll the
roller back and forth in it till a goodly portion of the paint is gone.
Then I screw it onto a 6 foot extension handle and take it out onto
the lawn. I used a hose nozzle adjusted to a powerful blast to wash
and spin the roller. At first, I hit the roller fairly directly so it spins
slowly, sweeping the water back and forth across the roller. Tip the
roller so it doesn't spray you. As it gets cleaner, move the water spray
to hit the roller on the edge so it spins very fast. When it's all clean,
spin it very fast and remove the water quickly so it spins dry.

I never have problems with rollers I clean this way.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Paul wrote:
I have been remodeling most of my house, and whenever I am rolling on
interior paint I always get bits of roller in the paint. It is
rididulously frustrating to see a dry wall with little fibers sticking
out of it. I have switched to a nicer roller since, but it leaves a
different texture (if you look at it closely). Any suggestions for the
best roller out there to use??? And is the more efficient way to
cleaning it other than hot water and 15 minutes??

Paul

Vacuum cleaner or a spinner for the fuzz. As everyone else said,
buying a decent roller cover prevents shedding and always use the
minimal necessary nap thickness for your surface.

I clean rollers not to save money, but to make sure I have one around
next time I need it. The best trick I know of for rollers is to scrape
the majority of the paint back into the can with a stir stick or 5 in 1
tool and fill a bucket with water. Fill with bucket with water and
submerge the roller in it. Shake it around under water, dump the
bucket, and refill it. It usually takes me around 4 fills to get it
completely clean. You know you're done when the water stays clear.
If you do it this way, the roller will dry soft and with no stiff paint
residue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Walter R." wrote in
:

I never clean roller covers.

Just finished painting my 3,200 sqft house with a manual roller. Took
me two weeks, part time, including preparation. I used one roller
frame and cover. When stopping work for any length of time, or
overnite, I soaked the roller in paint and wrapped the roller and
frame tightly in a grocery type plastic bag.

This keeps the roller wet and workable for at least 3 days. After I
finished painting the house, I threw away the roller cover. No
cleanup.

Plastic wrap or produce bag works better. Can last for weeks or months in
frig if fully covered. Two good size grocery bags (one from each end) are
good for covering the entire tray. I've tossed that in the frig as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 12, 10:29 pm, "jeffc" wrote:

Do not clean rollers. Simply roll them up in plastic wrap and throw them
away. If you intend to use it over a period of a few days, then roll it up
well in plastic wrap and leave it in the refrigerator over night. Some
people skimp on rollers, and then to add to that go to the trouble of
cleaning them. If you think about this in the grand scheme of things, this
is a waste of time. 15 minutes of your time is ridiculous for a $3 roller
(Purdy), let alone the cheap one you're using now. It's better for the
environment to throw them away without cleaning too.

That's not better for the environment. You're disposing of something
that doesn't need to be disposed of after only a couple or three coats,
and tossing the cover into an incinerator or landfill isn't exactly
green. Since everyone agrees to wrap the roller and brushes between
coats, and to stick them in the refrigerator for longer periods of
time, cleaning a roller cover isn't necessarily an everyday chore. If
I'm using three different paints, I have three roller covers that are
kept wet, wrapped and ready to go. I use a brush to cut in (of
course). When I'm cleaning the brush, I clean the roller cover. It
doesn't take 15 minutes, it takes maybe three or four minutes to clean
a cover. When I'm done I have a roller cover that is in better shape
than when it was new - it's broken in. I'll try the Purdy White Dove
cover you recommend _ it sounds like a good product. Don't get mad at
me if I re-use it repeatedly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 12, 10:29 pm, "jeffc" wrote:

[...]

The Purdy White Doves are the ones we use for "good work'

about the whole green thing.........

IMO the optimum is avoid cleaning day to day by wraping & frig'ing (or
storing in the can, yuk!) ollers between coats

clean roller covers when "finished" painting

AND when the roller is "used up" let it dry out first before
trashing.....wet paint in the trash stream can contaminate the ground
water.

the green way to claen up water base paints is right down the drain w/
soap & water....goes to the treeament plant, the practice of dumping
wash water or sovlent into the soil is a No-No.

Solvent based paints.......minimize solvent use.....SAVE used solvent
in a covered container, after a few weeks the solids will settle out &
you can use it for first & second rinse

Recycling solvent this way saves a LOT of solvent

& at $14 a gallon it makes $ & sense.

Topic for another thread....solvent free oil base paint

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 02:29:12 GMT, "jeffc" wrote:

[...]

It's better for the
environment to throw them away without cleaning too.

???

What do you think HAPPENS to the paint-infused roller
when you "throw it away"?

Aspasia
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , aspasia wrote:
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 02:29:12 GMT, "jeffc" wrote:

[...]

It's better for the
environment to throw them away without cleaning too.

???

What do you think HAPPENS to the paint-infused roller
when you "throw it away"?

It goes into a landfill, instead of contaminating the water.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

I find that simply storing a roller in a tightly closed ziploc bag
with air mostly squeezed out, take care of storing it between coats.

On 13 Oct 2006 08:04:34 -0700, BobK207 wrote:

cover you recommend _ http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/usenetposttest.html
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , aspasia wrote:

And what do you think the toxic stuff in the landfill does?
Just sit there? Or leach into ground water? Those plastic
liners are good for exactly zilch in the long haul.

In a properly built landfill, yes, it does just sit there, and does not leach
into groundwater -- and if you think municipal landfills have only a plastic
liner to protect the groundwater, you maybe ought to learn a bit more.
[snip]

Better to do as some have suggested -- and which happens to be
my own practice -- wrap them tightly in plastic so they can be used
again on the same job.

That's what I do, too -- but once the job is done, I get as much paint as I
can out of the roller cover and back into the paint can, and then the roller
cover goes straight into the trash.

When it comes time to dispose of rollers,take them to a toxic
substances disposal site,

For latex paint???? ROTFLMAO!!

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , aspasia wrote:

[...]

I've always understood that it's best to let anything contaminated
with water or oil best paint dry for a few days before throwing it
away. Whether it's a roller cover, pan, disposable brush, rag, or
can, it can't leech into ground water if it's a solid when you
throw it away.

If you have a large quantity of paint to dispose of, you can pour it
over news papers or kitty litter. It dries much faster that way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jeffc wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Washing the roller sends something like 1/2 quart of good paint
down the drain. Wrap the sleeve and stick it in the freezer. It'll
keep for years. Next time you need the same color, or you need to
touch up, just pull out the roller and thaw it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aspasia wrote:
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 17:17:32 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , aspasia wrote:
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 02:29:12 GMT, "jeffc" wrote:

[...]

It's better for the
environment to throw them away without cleaning too.

???

What do you think HAPPENS to the paint-infused roller
when you "throw it away"?

It goes into a landfill, instead of contaminating the water.

And what do you think the toxic stuff in the landfill does?
Just sit there? Or leach into ground water? Those plastic
liners are good for exactly zilch in the long haul.

Furthermore, in most cases, landfills either devour areas
near to municipalities, which is not exactly the "highest and best
use". (Beautiful canyons near my city filled up with trash!)
Or they have to be trucked far away, at great cost, not
to mention the fuel consumed in those long trips.

We're nowhere near being buried under our own garbage, and
never will be. According to Penn and Teller's Bull****, the entire
trash disposal needs of the United States could be handled by a
single landfill measuring 35 x 35 miles x 2 miles high.

Better to do as some have suggested -- and which happens to be
my own practice -- wrap them tightly in plastic so they can be used
again on the same job.

When it comes time to dispose of rollers,take them to a toxic
substances disposal site, which many municipalities now maintain. If
yours doesn't have one,take charge and see that they start one.

It's latex rubber. It's not a toxic substance requiring gloves
and hazmat suits.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aspasia wrote:

???

[...]

Why can't you wrap the "toxic" paint roller in a plastic trash bag and THEN
put it in the landfill? Since plastic NEVER breaks down, you're golden
forever.

As to landfills "devouring" prime land, nonsense. When the dump fills, you
cover the area with topsoil and build low-cost housing on the site. The kids
that live there will look a little funny (three ears, etc.), but you'll put
the land to good use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Father Haskell" wrote in message
We're nowhere near being buried under our own garbage, and
never will be. According to Penn and Teller's Bull****, the entire
trash disposal needs of the United States could be handled by a
single landfill measuring 35 x 35 miles x 2 miles high.

Seattle pays big bucks to ship their garbage to a far away site. It makes
more sense to reduce the amount of garbage when it gets that
expensive.

When it comes time to dispose of rollers,take them to a toxic
substances disposal site, which many municipalities now maintain. If
yours doesn't have one,take charge and see that they start one.

Sending dried latex to a hazardous waste facility is an absurd waste
of resources.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 18:13:49 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

"Father Haskell" wrote in message
We're nowhere near being buried under our own garbage, and
never will be. According to Penn and Teller's Bull****, the entire
trash disposal needs of the United States could be handled by a
single landfill measuring 35 x 35 miles x 2 miles high.

Seattle pays big bucks to ship their garbage to a far away site. It makes
more sense to reduce the amount of garbage when it gets that
expensive.

When it comes time to dispose of rollers,take them to a toxic
substances disposal site, which many municipalities now maintain. If
yours doesn't have one,take charge and see that they start one.

Sending dried latex to a hazardous waste facility is an absurd waste
of resources.

I was thinking of oil-based products.

But in any case, I don't agree that it's "an absurb waste..." They
may have ways of disposing other than your friendly neighborhood
landfill.

Aspasia

Posted to alt.home.repair

BobK207 spake thus:

Solvent based paints.......minimize solvent use.....SAVE used solvent
in a covered container, after a few weeks the solids will settle out &
you can use it for first & second rinse

Recycling solvent this way saves a LOT of solvent

Damn right. I have a jar of paint thinner I keep just as you suggest,
where I let the solids settle out. Some of the thinner in that jar is--I
kid you not--at least 25 years old.

--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself

- motto of the Church of Euthanasia (http://www.churchofeuthanasia.org/)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Father Haskell" wrote in message
ps.com...
When it comes time to dispose of rollers,take them to a toxic
substances disposal site, which many municipalities now maintain. If
yours doesn't have one,take charge and see that they start one.

It's latex rubber. It's not a toxic substance requiring gloves
and hazmat suits.

Whatever "latex" paint is made out of, it is definitely NOT made out of
latex rubber.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Father Haskell" wrote in message
oups.com...

Washing the roller sends something like 1/2 quart of good paint
down the drain. Wrap the sleeve and stick it in the freezer. It'll
keep for years. Next time you need the same color, or you need to
touch up, just pull out the roller and thaw it.

In any case, you should be squeezing all that excess paint back into the can
with a painter's tool before disposing of anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jeffc wrote:
"Father Haskell" wrote in message
ps.com...
When it comes time to dispose of rollers,take them to a toxic
substances disposal site, which many municipalities now maintain. If
yours doesn't have one,take charge and see that they start one.

It's latex rubber. It's not a toxic substance requiring gloves
and hazmat suits.

Whatever "latex" paint is made out of, it is definitely NOT made out of
latex rubber.

yup

from www.paint.org

........latex paint is not made with latex rubber; in fact the name
"latex" is really just a decorative way to describe rubber-based
paint. Latex paint is a carefully formulated polyvinyl material with
acrylic resin and has never contained natural rubber. ,.......

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

aspasia wrote in message

Sending dried latex to a hazardous waste facility is an absurd waste
of resources.

I was thinking of oil-based products.

But in any case, I don't agree that it's "an absurb waste..." They
may have ways of disposing other than your friendly neighborhood
landfill.

Our solid waste facility is pretty clear about it. If it's dried - it's
garbage.
They do take latex paint at the hazardous waste facility - which the offer
for re-use.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
aspasia wrote in message

But in any case, I don't agree that it's "an absurb waste..." They
may have ways of disposing other than your friendly neighborhood
landfill.

Our solid waste facility is pretty clear about it. If it's dried - it's
garbage.
They do take latex paint at the hazardous waste facility - which the offer
for re-use.

I don't understand, Bob. Someone can go to your local waste facility
and select cans of paint to use, or do you mean that they recycle it
through a paint or other manufacturer?

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:
Bob F wrote:
aspasia wrote in message

But in any case, I don't agree that it's "an absurb waste..." They
may have ways of disposing other than your friendly neighborhood
landfill.

Our solid waste facility is pretty clear about it. If it's dried - it's
garbage.
They do take latex paint at the hazardous waste facility - which the offer
for re-use.

I don't understand, Bob. Someone can go to your local waste facility
and select cans of paint to use, or do you mean that they recycle it
through a paint or other manufacturer?

I canot speak for Bob F either.....but I can for Bob K...

In OC, CA we have a toxic waste drop off center where they take
household chems no longer wanted, needed or unusable. Any items that
are in re-usable condtion they put in the "free store" & you can take
up to 5 itmes per week. Fertilizer, spa / pool chems, paint (brush &
spray) household cleaners, DIF wallpaper remover, etc......Once I found
out about this deal, I never paid for Spa chems again.

I never took any of the brush / roll on paint but I got lots of spray
spray paint, carb cleaner & motor oil.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BobK207" wrote in message
oups.com...

RicodJour wrote:
Bob F wrote:
aspasia wrote in message

[...]

Pretty much the same deal in Seattle. 30 item limit.

Bob