Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Cleaning Paint Rollers

On Oct 12, 5:37 pm, "Paul" wrote:
I have been remodeling most of my house, and whenever I am rolling on
interior paint I always get bits of roller in the paint. It is
rididulously frustrating to see a dry wall with little fibers sticking
out of it. I have switched to a nicer roller since, but it leaves a
different texture (if you look at it closely). Any suggestions for the
best roller out there to use??? And is the more efficient way to
cleaning it other than hot water and 15 minutes??

Buy the best roller covers, the ones with the cores that look like
phenolic (plastic). You want to treat a good roller cover like a good
brush. Store the wet roller in a large zip lock freezer bag between
coats, clean it meticulously after each use, spin the roller clean and
let it dry. When you think it's clean, clean it again. A five-in-one
painter's tool makes cleaning a roller cover go much faster. The
pump-action spinner (don't get excited Don - it's not a shotgun) is
also a must.
http://acmehardware.com/Paint-and-Pa.../Purdy-755100/ I spin
the cover once during cleaning and once at the end to get it almost
dry.

Unlike a brush, a roller cover must be cleaned before use. Wash it
well and scrape off any loose fibers - they're what make the first
couple of coats look like hell. No one likes furry walls. I trim the
ends cover and cut off the fibers at a 45 degree angle with a scissors
to take off the excess fiber - that's what causes most of the "rope"
(paint buildup along the outer edges of the roller's path).