Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White

Default Cleaning Fossilized Oil Off Paint?

I'm trying to clean up an old DiAcro shear, which is painted in a green &
pale cream/yellow. There's quite a bit of staining from where oil ran
onto the paint, and then hardened up over decades. I know I have some
solvents that will take the oil "varnish" off of steel, but I don't want
to attack the paint.

Anyone have any favorite cleaners for this sort of stuff? I'm guessing
the paint is a baked enamel and is reasonably tough.

Thanks!

Doug White
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob AZ

Doug

Brake cleaner. Spray cans.

Bob AZ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Doug White wrote:
I'm trying to clean up an old DiAcro shear, which is painted in a green &
pale cream/yellow. There's quite a bit of staining from where oil ran
onto the paint, and then hardened up over decades. I know I have some
solvents that will take the oil "varnish" off of steel, but I don't want
to attack the paint.

Anyone have any favorite cleaners for this sort of stuff? I'm guessing
the paint is a baked enamel and is reasonably tough.

I like Hoppe's No. 9 nitro solvent for this job. Buy it where they sell hunting
licenses, it's a gun thing.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Lusardi

Doug,
Most solvents, including Hoppes and especially brake cleaner will attack the
paint. I found quite by accident something that really works well. I buy, by
the barrel, an industrial cleaner that is primarily used to clean Truck
tarps. It is a generic emusifier similar to 409, but more concentrated. I
spray it on with a Windex bottle, scrub it a little with a fingernail brush
and wipe off the area with paper towels. You should be able to find a
similar cleaner at any industial supply. Buying this stuff by the drum is
MUCH cheaper that at the grocery store. You can just add water to make it
any strength you want. This stuff just disolves the old hardened oil
instantly. You will be impressed!
Steve

"Doug White" wrote in message
I'm trying to clean up an old DiAcro shear, which is painted in a green &
pale cream/yellow. There's quite a bit of staining from where oil ran
onto the paint, and then hardened up over decades. I know I have some
solvents that will take the oil "varnish" off of steel, but I don't want
to attack the paint.

Anyone have any favorite cleaners for this sort of stuff? I'm guessing
the paint is a baked enamel and is reasonably tough.

Thanks!

Doug White

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

I use automotive wheel cleaner. The variety that says "safe for all
wheels" will not harm paint nor plastics.

Follow with soap (liquid Tide) and warm water

and/or

Follow with WD40, a good solvent in itself

Doug White wrote:
I'm trying to clean up an old DiAcro shear, which is painted in a green &
pale cream/yellow. There's quite a bit of staining from where oil ran
onto the paint, and then hardened up over decades. I know I have some
solvents that will take the oil "varnish" off of steel, but I don't want
to attack the paint.

Anyone have any favorite cleaners for this sort of stuff? I'm guessing
the paint is a baked enamel and is reasonably tough.

Thanks!

Doug White

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Liquid dish detergent and cheap mineral spirits paint thinner.
Or you could try a degreasing cleaner like castrol super clean.

Paint formula changes av Home Repair 27 May 28th 14 08:02 AM
Carpet Cleaning FAQ david lang UK diy 6 November 20th 05 02:05 AM
Cleaning oil paint from brushes asalcedo UK diy 16 November 7th 05 04:32 PM
Cleaning Paint Off Brickwork HJWD UK diy 6 October 27th 05 12:11 PM
exterior paint adhering or not? Gary C Home Repair 3 November 2nd 03 10:57 AM