Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Default Cleaning Fossilized Oil Off Paint?

I use automotive wheel cleaner. The variety that says "safe for all
wheels" will not harm paint nor plastics.

Follow with soap (liquid Tide) and warm water

and/or

Follow with WD40, a good solvent in itself

Doug White wrote:
I'm trying to clean up an old DiAcro shear, which is painted in a green &
pale cream/yellow. There's quite a bit of staining from where oil ran
onto the paint, and then hardened up over decades. I know I have some
solvents that will take the oil "varnish" off of steel, but I don't want
to attack the paint.

Anyone have any favorite cleaners for this sort of stuff? I'm guessing
the paint is a baked enamel and is reasonably tough.

Thanks!

Doug White