HJWD

Default Cleaning Paint Off Brickwork

Hi,

There are some bricks (Accrington Red) all around the front door
externally. This would be a nice feature except that someone has
painted them with white gloss paint.

What is the best and easiest way to remove the paint without damaging
the bricks?

Thanks, Howard.

HJWD wrote:
Hi,

There are some bricks (Accrington Red) all around the front door
externally. This would be a nice feature except that someone has
painted them with white gloss paint.

What is the best and easiest way to remove the paint without damaging
the bricks?

Thanks, Howard.

The best way to clean paint off bricks without damaging them is with a
chemical paint remover, is it a large area? if not nitromorse should do
the trick the less force/abrasion used the better the result, the
mortar may need repointing afterwards. If it is a large area of
brickwork a good decorating contractor would be able to advise on
chemical stripping as there may be enviromental issues with using
chemical stripper over a large area.

HJWD

Thanks Andrew.

No it is not such a large area. I will look into the nitromorse option
and maybe do a test area?

Cheers, Howard.

HJWD

It takes a thief to catch a thief! ;-)

HJWD

Hi,

Yesterday I cleaned the paint off the bricks using a scraper (took 4
hours!) and the transformation is amazing!

The front of the house now looks great!

I did buy nitromors but found the paint to be quite brittle so I used
the scraper instead. Though, I neded the nitromors to remove paint from
some stonework.

Cheers, Howard.