Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Cleaning Paint Rollers

On Oct 12, 10:29 pm, "jeffc" wrote:

Do not clean rollers. Simply roll them up in plastic wrap and throw them
away. If you intend to use it over a period of a few days, then roll it up
well in plastic wrap and leave it in the refrigerator over night. Some
people skimp on rollers, and then to add to that go to the trouble of
cleaning them. If you think about this in the grand scheme of things, this
is a waste of time. 15 minutes of your time is ridiculous for a $3 roller
(Purdy), let alone the cheap one you're using now. It's better for the
environment to throw them away without cleaning too.

That's not better for the environment. You're disposing of something
that doesn't need to be disposed of after only a couple or three coats,
and tossing the cover into an incinerator or landfill isn't exactly
green. Since everyone agrees to wrap the roller and brushes between
coats, and to stick them in the refrigerator for longer periods of
time, cleaning a roller cover isn't necessarily an everyday chore. If
I'm using three different paints, I have three roller covers that are
kept wet, wrapped and ready to go. I use a brush to cut in (of
course). When I'm cleaning the brush, I clean the roller cover. It
doesn't take 15 minutes, it takes maybe three or four minutes to clean
a cover. When I'm done I have a roller cover that is in better shape
than when it was new - it's broken in. I'll try the Purdy White Dove
cover you recommend _ it sounds like a good product. Don't get mad at
me if I re-use it repeatedly.