Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Lee

Default Teflon frying pan

I have owned several non-stick Teflon frying pans and had always taken care
not to scratch them or use the dishwasher on them. However, they all
eventually stick after a year or so. The pans are otherwise in good shape.
Does anyone know of anyway to revitalize the non-stick property of the
Teflon coating.
--
Later 'gator

remove NOSPAM for email

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Lee wrote:
I have owned several non-stick Teflon frying pans and had always taken care
not to scratch them or use the dishwasher on them. However, they all
eventually stick after a year or so. The pans are otherwise in good shape.
Does anyone know of anyway to revitalize the non-stick property of the
Teflon coating.
--
Later 'gator

remove NOSPAM for email

The chemical Zonyl can rub off the liner and get into food. it enters
your blood stream. It's in all of us by now and stays in you for up to
4 years. It will soon be labled as a heath risk by the fda. stick with
the cast iron skillets.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Don Lee wrote:
I have owned several non-stick Teflon frying pans and had always
taken care not to scratch them or use the dishwasher on them.
However, they all eventually stick after a year or so. The pans are
otherwise in good shape. Does anyone know of anyway to revitalize the
non-stick property of the Teflon coating.

Depending on how much and how you are using them, they may just need a
good cleaning. If the surface is worn, which happens with Teflon, then
there is nothing you can do to make it good.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Don Lee wrote:

I have owned several non-stick Teflon frying pans and had always
taken care not to scratch them or use the dishwasher on them.
However, they all eventually stick after a year or so. The pans are
otherwise in good shape. Does anyone know of anyway to revitalize the
non-stick property of the Teflon coating.

Depending on how much and how you are using them, they may just need a
good cleaning. If the surface is worn, which happens with Teflon, then
there is nothing you can do to make it good.

Hi,
Good name brand seems to last longer. Anyhow there is health concern
on Teflon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

yeah teflon is about to be called a safety hazard by the FDA, old pans
may have to go to hazardous waste dumps..........

dont laugh its happened to other products before like benzene and
asbestos.

both USED to be common household products

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Stop using them. The Teflon contains a perfluorinated acid known as PFOA
which causes cancer. This week, the EPA called for a voluntary halt to it's
use. In 4 years, Teflon will be made using another chemical.
http://www.mcall.com/news/nationworl...,2391783.story

"Don Lee" wrote in message

I have owned several non-stick Teflon frying pans and had always taken

care
not to scratch them or use the dishwasher on them. However, they all
eventually stick after a year or so. The pans are otherwise in good

shape.
Does anyone know of anyway to revitalize the non-stick property of the
Teflon coating.
--
Later 'gator

remove NOSPAM for email

Posted to alt.home.repair
FDR

"Don Lee" wrote in message

I have owned several non-stick Teflon frying pans and had always taken
care
not to scratch them or use the dishwasher on them. However, they all
eventually stick after a year or so. The pans are otherwise in good
shape.
Does anyone know of anyway to revitalize the non-stick property of the
Teflon coating.
--
Later 'gator

The only thing you need teflon for maybe is frying eggs. A cheap pan will
do and you can dispose of it every few years. Even if you fry with
nonstick, a little butter or oil will still help. Otherwise, just get
dtainless steel. Lasts "forever" and is non-reactive with foods. Clean it
with Bon Ami or Barkeepers Friend.

remove NOSPAM for email

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
Stop using them. The Teflon contains a perfluorinated acid known as PFOA
which causes cancer. This week, the EPA called for a voluntary halt to
it's
use. In 4 years, Teflon will be made using another chemical.
http://www.mcall.com/news/nationworl...,2391783.story

DIA, don't you even read your links?!
There is no PFOA in the product, it is pollutant associated with the
manufacture.
You must have used aluminum frying pans too often.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ranieri

"Don Lee" wrote in message

I have owned several non-stick Teflon frying pans and had always taken
care
not to scratch them or use the dishwasher on them. However, they all
eventually stick after a year or so. The pans are otherwise in good
shape.
Does anyone know of anyway to revitalize the non-stick property of the
Teflon coating.
--

Teflon has nothing on a well seasoned cast iron skillet.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones

Teflon itself is not toxic

.... unless it gets too hot.

Don't ever let a Teflon frying pan overheat. Releases fumes that can
make you sick. Google the phrase "teflon flu". This is for real.

Also, read the warning labels on cans of spray lubricant that contain
Teflon. They tell you to wash your hands before smoking. Same reason.

EJ

Posted to alt.home.repair
PaPaPeng

On 27 Jan 2006 20:46:57 -0800, "Ether Jones"
wrote:

Don't ever let a Teflon frying pan overheat. Releases fumes that can
make you sick. Google the phrase "teflon flu". This is for real.

Also, read the warning labels on cans of spray lubricant that contain
Teflon. They tell you to wash your hands before smoking. Same reason.

Good advice. Do not use high heat on the pan. There was a NG thread
discussion that vapors from over heated teflon coated pans killed
their caged pet birds.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Tony Hwang wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Don Lee wrote:

I have owned several non-stick Teflon frying pans and had always
taken care not to scratch them or use the dishwasher on them.
However, they all eventually stick after a year or so. The pans are
otherwise in good shape. Does anyone know of anyway to revitalize the
non-stick property of the Teflon coating.

Depending on how much and how you are using them, they may just
need a good cleaning. If the surface is worn, which happens with
Teflon, then there is nothing you can do to make it good.

Hi,
Good name brand seems to last longer. Anyhow there is health concern
on Teflon.

True and true.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

wrote:

Teflon itself is not toxic

... unless it gets too hot.

Don't ever let a Teflon frying pan overheat. Releases fumes that can
make you sick. Google the phrase "teflon flu". This is for real.

Also, read the warning labels on cans of spray lubricant that contain
Teflon. They tell you to wash your hands before smoking. Same reason.

EJ

To add to this. Anyone who has a pet bird or keeps birds should not
have Teflon pans at all. Burning Teflon is very toxic to birds.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I wonder at what temperature teflon becomes hazardous?

I make my living fixing laminators that use a teflon coated heat shoe,
they run below 350 degrees most commonly under 300. if they are found
to be dangerous its time for a new job.

I used to fix machines that used methyl alcohol, that job ended when
the healt risks of methyl vapors was publicized. oddly enough its still
used today in windshield washer fluid.

but those oither machines all went to the landfill........

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
I wonder at what temperature teflon becomes hazardous?

I make my living fixing laminators that use a teflon coated heat shoe,
they run below 350 degrees most commonly under 300. if they are found
to be dangerous its time for a new job.

It is in excess of 500 degrees. You can get some specifics on the Dupont web
page about Teflon and birds. Normal cooking will not cause a problem, it is
often a pan left unattended and over heated. Even normal pans can cause ill
effects on birds as they have rather delicate respiratory systems.

http://www2.dupont.com/PFOA/en_US/pr...rd_safety.html
Never preheat your cookware on high heat.

If accidentally overheated, non-stick cookware can emit fumes that may be
harmful to birds, as can any type of cookware preheated with cooking oil,
fats, margarine and butter. This is why you should always move your birds
out of the kitchen before cooking

You may also want to check out
http://www.teflon.com/NASApp/Teflon/...yconcerns.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ranieri wrote:
"Don Lee" wrote in message

I have owned several non-stick Teflon frying pans and had always taken
care
not to scratch them or use the dishwasher on them. However, they all
eventually stick after a year or so. The pans are otherwise in good
shape.
Does anyone know of anyway to revitalize the non-stick property of the
Teflon coating.
--

Teflon has nothing on a well seasoned cast iron skillet.

Well said! Good quality cast iron ware can not be beat for cooking. It
has qualities in cooking that no other type of kitchen ware can come
close to. It can also last for generations.
Jack

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
m:

ups.com...

http://www2.dupont.com/PFOA/en_US/pr...bird_safety.ht
ml Never preheat your cookware on high heat.

If accidentally overheated, non-stick cookware can emit fumes that may
be harmful to birds, as can any type of cookware preheated with
cooking oil, fats, margarine and butter. This is why you should always
move your birds out of the kitchen before cooking

You may also want to check out
http://www.teflon.com/NASApp/Teflon/...C_gx_session_i
d_=GXLiteSessionID-2890589694825990208&pageId=/consumer/na/eng/news/new
s_detail.safetyconcerns.html

I suspect overheating many types of PLASTIC will generate unhealthy fumes.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message

I suspect overheating many types of PLASTIC will generate unhealthy fumes.

--

True. Many can be eaten and would just pass through your body in that form,
but when burned, can give severe side effects.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I cook with Teflon coated pans a lot and the expensive pans seem to end
up doing the same as inexpensive pans. Only thing I have found, is to
spray them with (Pam, store brand spray) what ever spray you
like....wipe them with paper towels and put them away. Then when you
want to use them again, take them out, wipe them off again and respray
before using. Use moderate heat.

It's not perfect, but if you are careful the food won't stick to them
too badly. Clean with sponge's that have the rough side to them and
soapy water....and dry them and spray before putting away.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan_Musicant

On 27 Jan 2006 17:23:47 -0800, wrote:

:
on Lee wrote:
: I have owned several non-stick Teflon frying pans and had always taken care
: not to scratch them or use the dishwasher on them. However, they all
: eventually stick after a year or so. The pans are otherwise in good shape.
: Does anyone know of anyway to revitalize the non-stick property of the
: Teflon coating.
: --
: Later 'gator
:
:

: remove NOSPAM for email
:
:The chemical Zonyl can rub off the liner and get into food. it enters
:your blood stream. It's in all of us by now and stays in you for up to
:4 years. It will soon be labled as a heath risk by the fda. stick with
:the cast iron skillets.

I saw part of a TV story the other night on TV national news (ABC?) on
teflon and something that stays in your body indefinitely, maybe it was
the Zonyl noted above. Fact is I haven't bought a teflon pan for about 2
decades. I don't know the ins and outs but do cook in the oven on teflon
or similar and heat up tortillas on a teflon pan. For frying, I use cast
iron. The best things about cast iron are it's intrinsic non-sticking
properties (although I often use a little olive oil or even non-stick
spray for eggs, etc.), and it's heat inertia. By that I mean that a
dense layer of cast iron holds a lot of heat and so will not cool down
very quickly when you add food, and therefore you don't have to heat it
so very continuously to achieve an even cooking surface. The downside is
the heaviness, but I don't mind that. Also, they last and last and you
just don't have to give a hoot how they look.

Posted to alt.home.repair
WConner

" Does anyone know of anyway to revitalize the non-stick property of the
Teflon coating.

From what I have been seeing and reading about Teflon, I'd suggest you
consider not using them, especially if the coating is damaged, at least
until more is known about the potential danger from Teflon coating.

Walt Conner

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Don Lee wrote:
I have owned several non-stick Teflon frying pans and had always
taken care not to scratch them or use the dishwasher on them.
However, they all eventually stick after a year or so. The pans are
otherwise in good shape. Does anyone know of anyway to revitalize the
non-stick property of the Teflon coating.

On the morning news this AM the US government is recommending avoiding
Teflon pans as well as other exposure sources of the materials. They are
not saying there is a direct threat, but they are asking for a serious
decrease in the use of the material from which Teflon is made by the
manufacturers.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Bud

Ether Jones wrote:
Teflon itself is not toxic

... unless it gets too hot.

Don't ever let a Teflon frying pan overheat. Releases fumes that can
make you sick. Google the phrase "teflon flu". This is for real.

Also, read the warning labels on cans of spray lubricant that contain
Teflon. They tell you to wash your hands before smoking. Same reason.

Ridiculous. Handle any flammable material and they will state you
should wash your hands before smoking. A label like this is akin to
warnings of not using a hair dryer in the bath tub.

Teflon is the latest Alar and breast implant scare. Based on junk
science, which will destroy more jobs in this country, all in the name
of class action lawsuits.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

Don Lee wrote:
I have owned several non-stick Teflon frying pans and had always taken care
not to scratch them or use the dishwasher on them. However, they all
eventually stick after a year or so. The pans are otherwise in good shape.
Does anyone know of anyway to revitalize the non-stick property of the
Teflon coating.

My position is this. **** teflon. I don't need it one way or another.
Give me something without any fancy chemicals no matter how many
scientists say its ok. Who can you trust really?

Ill take cast iron. It can add trace amounts of iron to your food, but
thats actually a good thing. Also it can stop a bullet and if required,
take an intruder out in one swing. Try that with Teflon!

Teflon is nice on funky surfaces like grills and waffle irons. But its
just not needed.

--
Thank you,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Don Lee" wrote in message
One would assume it is healthy, but if one is concerned with
safety in using Teflon, black carbon build-up in cast iron is probably
more
a concern. No data on both.

I don't think it is carbon buildup but rather the oils being polymerized.
People have been using it for over a hundred years with no know problme
aside from an injured toe if you drop it on your foot.