Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Teflon frying pan

wrote in message
ups.com...
I wonder at what temperature teflon becomes hazardous?

I make my living fixing laminators that use a teflon coated heat shoe,
they run below 350 degrees most commonly under 300. if they are found
to be dangerous its time for a new job.

It is in excess of 500 degrees. You can get some specifics on the Dupont web
page about Teflon and birds. Normal cooking will not cause a problem, it is
often a pan left unattended and over heated. Even normal pans can cause ill
effects on birds as they have rather delicate respiratory systems.

http://www2.dupont.com/PFOA/en_US/pr...rd_safety.html
Never preheat your cookware on high heat.

If accidentally overheated, non-stick cookware can emit fumes that may be
harmful to birds, as can any type of cookware preheated with cooking oil,
fats, margarine and butter. This is why you should always move your birds
out of the kitchen before cooking

You may also want to check out
http://www.teflon.com/NASApp/Teflon/...yconcerns.html